Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by liw5215
just found out that Chase closed all wife's accounts with all annual fee refunded. Very minimally MS on the cards, $1K per month on staples VGC on the Ink card, about $3-4K MS on walmart VGC mixed with a lot of normal spending on the Freedom Unlimited. no spending other two cards(BA and SW) after min requirements. haven't received the letters from Chase yet. Very puzzled.
That may not seem like a lot to you but it might to Chase. So it's all relative to your income.
They may have looked at her income and said 60K per year spend and she only makes 50K-60K so she has to be doing something? They make have also looked at where the spend was made.
Plus Chase is it's own animal and some times does strange things.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
That may not seem like a lot to you but it might to Chase. So it's all relative to your income.
They may have looked at her income and said 60K per year spend and she only makes 50K-60K so she has to be doing something? They make have also looked at where the spend was made.
Plus Chase is it's own animal and some times does strange things.
She makes over 100K per year. it is strange. all annual fee on the card except Freedom Unlimited where there is no AF, have been refunded.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:48 am

What does annual income have to do with anything, Uncle Joe could have left his favorite niece/nephew a half mil out of his estate?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just found out that Chase closed all wife's accounts with all annual fee refunded. Very minimally MS on the cards, $1K per month on staples VGC on the Ink card, about $3-4K MS on walmart VGC mixed with a lot of normal spending on the Freedom Unlimited. no spending other two cards(BA and SW) after min requirements. haven't received the letters from Chase yet. Very puzzled.
How long you have the Freedom Unlimited? A new card or a product conversion from existing Freedom? How long a history you have with Chase?

$1K on Ink per month should not irk Chase. However $3 to 4K on a brand new Freedom Unlimited might be the trigger. This is a new product, therefore the spend pattern might be collected / monitored more closely - largely for profitability analysis and to gauge the success of a new product - hence the computer might flag the spend and then unfortunately human eyes laid on it...

Seems cash rebate earnings from any issuer have far bigger chance to trigger a card closure than earning other currencies based on DP reported on the internet.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Chase is a mass market credit card factory. They make decisions using statistical models which predict risk. They are not interested in our individual circumstances, nor are they concerned that the models are incorrect in specific cases. It is no different at American Express, Bank of America, Barclays or Citi.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Happy
How long you have the Freedom Unlimited? A new card or a product conversion from existing Freedom? How long a history you have with Chase?

$1K on Ink per month should not irk Chase. However $3 to 4K on a brand new Freedom Unlimited might be the trigger. This is a new product, therefore the spend pattern might be collected / monitored more closely - largely for profitability analysis and to gauge the success of a new product - hence the computer might flag the spend and then unfortunately human eyes laid on it...

Seems cash rebate earnings from any issuer have far bigger chance to trigger a card closure than earning other currencies based on DP reported on the internet.
FU was converted this March from CSP, which was applied and approved last March. With Chase about 2 years history.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Chase is a mass market credit card factory. They make decisions using statistical models which predict risk. They are not interested in our individual circumstances, nor are they concerned that the models are incorrect in specific cases. It is no different at American Express, Bank of America, Barclays or Citi.
I agree. However Chase IS still different than other issuers - in that they refund the AFs, and also DPs about they let cardholders to redeem the UR pts within 30 days after closure. Cannot be said other issuers, Citi in particular, would be this fair. The only way to get back value of your confiscated points from Citi is to sue. Chase' handling is much fairer, or in a way, saves Chase own money.

FU was converted this March from CSP, which was applied and approved last March. With Chase about 2 years history.
At least you get the AF back and hopefully the UR pts back.

The history with Chase is too short, and the FU history is way too short to be doing what you have done. just my guess.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:14 am

Update:

Just got the letters from Chase. "We closed your credit card account on 08/04, because affiliate is ending its banking relationship with you" . Neither my wife and I have a Chase banking account. Very confused.

the letters were from "po box 659672 San Antonio, TX",which is a chase bank branch in TX
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:54 am

If Chase shuts down accounts are you still able to transfer points out?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
If Chase shuts down accounts are you still able to transfer points out?
yes. now Chase gives you 30 days to move/transfer your points.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 12:24 pm

Good to hear. My UR points are really starting to accumulate and even though I'm not engaging in what I would view as risky, I would worry that Chase might view me as not profitable and just choose to close out my accounts. It seems that there is anecdotal evidence that this is occurring to some users.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update:

Just got the letters from Chase. "We closed your credit card account on 08/04, because affiliate is ending its banking relationship with you" . Neither my wife and I have a Chase banking account. Very confused.

the letters were from "po box 659672 San Antonio, TX",which is a chase bank branch in TX
OP - you may have an ID mixed up case here. Try to contact Chase and tell them you dont even have a banking relationship with them, let alone a branch in a place you may not even live at.

You may want to pull the credit reports to make sure no one open an account using your wife's SSN.

Years ago I read on FT AMEX forum about AMEX mixed up a customer's ID with someone else' and that someone else was not even a US resident! AMEX shut down the accounts of the wrong person who had been a stellar customer of AMEX for years. AMEX eventually realized its mistake but not after a lot of aggravation / anger, and rightfully so, from the person whose accounts got shut down wrongly, during a trip no less.

So this kind of things do happen, albeit very rarely.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Barclays also gives you back the rewards earned on their cards should you file a CFPB.

Citi told you to pound sand. The only way to get back what you owe is to file suit or arbitration.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
She makes over 100K per year. it is strange. all annual fee on the card except Freedom Unlimited where there is no AF, have been refunded.
You should wait for the letter to see what it says. It's probably not going to make any sense but who knows. Does she MS on other cards? Does she have a lot of open credit cards with other companies and ever carry a high balance?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:44 pm

Update:

Update 2:

Thank everyone for info, really appreciate it! I have faxed a letter to Chase Executive Office to investigate the account closure, Just got a confirmation from them saying they are doing investigation. I will keep everyone posted. I also checked wife's credit reports from 3 bureau, no ID theft or suspicious activities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.