Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by BOSOGG
Did any of your closed cards have UR point balances?
If so, did they give you an opportunity to transfer points out?
I had 21k UR points from the most recent Sapphire and Freedom statements and as soon as I saw the accounts were closed I combined UR points from Freedom with Sapphire and transferred all 21k to UA. I had previously transferred about 100k UR to UA after the checking account was closed since the closing of the cards was a likely possibility. Transfer went through with no issues. This may be a question for the Marriott forum but does anyone know if the annual free night cert from the Chase Marriott card will still work since the card has been cancelled. I already have it linked to a reservation for March.
----
One more thing, the checking account was originally opened by Mrs. Knopfler and my name was added to it. The credit cards were under Mrs. Knopfler with myself as an AU. I also have a Marriott and Amazon card that I rarely (if ever) use that are under my name and I just checked and those two cards have been cancelled as well. Guess they are going after the entire family

Last edited by philemer; Feb 5, 2015 at 8:52 pm
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:45 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by knopfler
This may be a question for the Marriott forum but does anyone know if the annual free night cert from the Chase Marriott card will still work since the card has been cancelled. I already have it linked to a reservation for March.
As long as it's showing in your Marriott hotel account (I assume e-certificate) then yes it will work especially if it already shows in your reservation. You're good to go.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Churnman
As long as it's showing in your Marriott hotel account (I assume e-certificate) then yes it will work especially if it already shows in your reservation. You're good to go.
Thanks, yes it's an e-cert.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by Slickw
tassojunior you said this argument with the neighbor is on "ARS and/or IDA." Have you actually seen it documented on both those reports? Also you mentioned in another thread you had all your AmEx cards closed because you didn't comply with an FR. Are you sure that didn't have something to do with the Chase closure?
I phoned Chase and they read me the report from IDA or ARS and gave me their address and phone number. This was 2 years ago. I just phoned them and asked for forms to freeze not copies of reports and got the addresses from the Codex story I cited. Nothing to do with AmEx. AmEx never showed on any reports and I have AmEx cards again.

100% certain it was ARS or IDA and people need to know Chase sometimes uses them when you hit their radar.

update: for the first time in 2 years since freezing them I have seen a negative result. I applied for a Nordstrom rewards debit card and was told I couldn't get one unless I unfroze ARS. I could get a Nordstrom credit card, but not a debit rewards card. Very minor loss.

Last edited by tassojunior; Feb 7, 2015 at 9:42 pm
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:37 am
RNE

Originally Posted by tassojunior
I phoned Chase and they read me the report from IDA or ARS and gave me their address and phone number. This was 2 years ago. I just phoned them and asked for forms to freeze not copies of reports and got the addresses from the Codex story I cited. Nothing to do with AmEx. AmEx never showed on any reports and I have AmEx cards again.

100% certain it was ARS or IDA and people need to know Chase sometimes uses them when you hit their radar.
And you believe that lone incident with your neighbor long ago was the deciding factor in the shutdown?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by RNE
And you believe that lone incident with your neighbor long ago was the deciding factor in the shutdown?
That's what Chase said.

After all it was a negative neighbor remark involving a police call so it matters.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:50 am
RNE

Originally Posted by tassojunior
That's what Chase said.
I didn't ask you what Chase told you; I asked you if you believe that incident was in fact the deciding factor? Yes? No?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I have looked into the ARS and IDA credit freezes. They also both have secure fax lines to freeze your report via fax. I had been thinking about freezing those reports for a while, but the Anthem breach has forced my hand.

Fax number for ARS: (216) 615-7642, phone 1-800-392-8911
send name, address, SS#, daytime phone, and copy of driver's license along with signature
https://www.visaicsdirect.com/faq.html

Fax number for IDA: (858) 312-6275, phone (888) 395-0277
http://www.idainc.com/security-freeze/
Send:
1. A written request with signature that includes the following information:
First name, middle name, last name, suffix (if applicable)
Current address including ZIP code
Current phone number with area code
Social Security number
Date of birth (month, date and year)
2. Copies of at least two of the verification documents listed below that substantiate the personal information that you provide as listed in Step 1:
Current state-issued driver’s license or other current government identification (such as a passport)
Recent cable, utility or phone statement, produced 60 days ago or less
Social Security card
Birth certificate
U.S. passport picture page
Alien registration card
Voided personal check with your preprinted address

edited to add: Freezing both are free

Last edited by jeanie; Feb 9, 2015 at 1:56 pm
Old Feb 9, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
IIRC when dealing with ARS & IDA, there is an option to allow companies to send you special offers. You can lock your reports but let companies send you these offers.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Mortgasm
Piggybacking on LivelyFLs work to identify account closures, I went a step further and outlined reasons identified for the closure.

The willingness to be forthcoming with details vary a lot by poster, so it's not possible to make any certain conclusions. But this was helpful for me as I refine my Chase strategy.
Thanks for compiling this. I have added it to the wiki, let's update that.

I had set up my Chase Ink Plus with auto pay. A payment was supposed to have been done yesterday, but on Friday, I made a part payment from a different account. Usually Chase changes the amount of the payment to reflect the latest balance, but it deducted the entire amount. I have now overpaid by 2K. Should I keep quiet about this and just use up the negative balance? I have a savings account with them.

Last edited by UA Fan; Feb 10, 2015 at 2:53 pm
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I had set my Chase Ink Plus with auto pay. A payment was supposed to have been done yesterday, but on Friday, I made a part payment from a different account. Usually Chase changes the amount of the payment to reflect the latest balance, but it deducted the entire amount. I have no overpaid by 2K. Should I keep quiet about this and just use up the negative balance? I have a savings account with them.

If you are planning on spending $2000 on that card over the next month, I would let it be. If, however, you are switching spend to another card, then I would ask for a refund check. Just tell them it was an accounting error on your part or something like that. But I doubt they would ask about it.

I had a negative balance of $.51 on my Amazon card for several months. Eventually, they sent me a check for 51 cents without me asking for it.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:29 am

Some noteworthy Data Points from my acct closures...

Follow up to my acct closures:

my situation mirrors many. once the mullah in loss prevention issued the fatwa against my accounts, it's apostasy for anyone to even question his decision- be it me, X Offices, anyone. that Chase has no checks and balances to make sure these people arrived at a logical conclusion is kinda an over the top, long leash approach. i'm not sure who these mullah's are, but i imagine they resemble a hygiene product.

the only (seemingly) positive is that they sent letters for both personal and business saying i have 90 days to transfer points (though the lawyers did add the troubling, 'unless we decide otherwise' verbiage). so, perhaps, the kinder and gentler approach to existing points is actual Chase policy now, as it was obviously a form letter.

i received the letters a couple days after the closure. i had already transferred 70% of my UR points. With the letters in hand, and recent reports here, i decided to risk it and wait to transfer the rest until i had time to figure what made the most sense. now, 5 weeks later, i transferred the rest of my CSP UR points with no issue. Still haven't tfr'd the remainder of my ink bold UR points (mainly because it seems unlikely now that Chase will reneg on the 90 days and, one never knows, Chase could announce a new, unique, UR tfr partner tomorrow).

another positive surprise is that all spend up to the date of closure was still honoured- for both UR points and Co-branded cards. this was not insignificant. totaled about 40k UR points, 75k UA miles (Club Card), 8k Hyatt points. All hit my accounts as timely as any other statement.

so, yeah, it's terrible- but apparently Chase has decided (probably after some litigation) that their old points apocalypse approach wasn't in their best interests.

Thoughts on where I transferred my UR points:

as far as trying to figure out what program to transfer UR points to. With a lot of thought, my conclusion was no different than my knee jerk: Hyatt and UA. Thing is, i have >600k UA miles. With the devaluation last year and the trajectory of US Airline FF programs (especially with Delta seemingly moving towards revenue based redemptions), it just seems more likely that the points will hold value at Hyatt than UA. Therefore, most points went to Hyatt, with enough for 2-3 low level redemptions going to Southwest for some diversification.

A lot of my UR points had been targeted for SQ suites. Ultimately it made no sense to transfer to SQ, or any other currency where i can earn thru other credit cards. Hyatt, UA, (along with poor choices Marriott, IHG, and KA) are Chase only. I can earn Avios and SQ miles elsewhere. With my UA and Hyatt earning days gone, redemption will be either aspirational or when no other reasonably priced 'replenishable' currency option is available. i will probably end up hoarding them to some extent, i imagine.

HTH someone...
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
another positive surprise is that all spend up to the date of closure was still honoured- for both UR points and Co-branded cards. this was not insignificant. totaled about 40k UR points, 75k UA miles (Club Card), 8k Hyatt points. All hit my accounts as timely as any other statement.
So if I am reading that right, your accounts were closed and you still received your pending UR points at the following statement date? If so, that is excellent. I don't have nearly as many pending as you did, but I probably have 15k UR or so pending.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Thanks for compiling this. I have added it to the wiki, let's update that.

I had set up my Chase Ink Plus with auto pay. A payment was supposed to have been done yesterday, but on Friday, I made a part payment from a different account. Usually Chase changes the amount of the payment to reflect the latest balance, but it deducted the entire amount. I have now overpaid by 2K. Should I keep quiet about this and just use up the negative balance? I have a savings account with them.
I believe Chase can move the overpayment to another Chase card that has unpaid balance.

If you would not use this Chase card for the next month or so, and you have other Chase cards you are using, just let them know. Mistakes on payments happen, no big deal. I once paid Citi twice and Citi had no problem refund the overpayment via ACH once they verified the payments in their system. I would think Chase would be similarly accommodating.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by knopfler
So if I am reading that right, your accounts were closed and you still received your pending UR points at the following statement date? If so, that is excellent. I don't have nearly as many pending as you did, but I probably have 15k UR or so pending.
Correct. I received every point/mile I earned on all cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.