Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
The anger in this thread is back. Two big points:

1. Just because you can do something doesn't mean it is smart to do it. Advertising tells us to do a lot of stuff that isn't always smart. Ultimately, it is still the individual's choice. No one is holding a gun to our heads forcing us to apply for a bunch of cards at once and then further choosing to MS on those cards.

2. Obviously, Chase does not see all of us as good or valuable customers. They aren't risking losing good customers if they don't see you as one.

The people on this board are a very small part of Chase's business.

When you chose to do the MS, you chose to take the risk. The risk is worth it for some people, but not for others. That is something to keep in mind during this process.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:24 pm
Suspended

I reccomend anyone shut down by Chase file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Apparently they're already looking into the matter: http://consumerist.com/2013/11/15/cf...ards-programs/

The link to file a complaint is here:

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
thanks for the reminder. I just charged $2348 at an office supply store. Like I do almost every week. Easy 11,500 miles
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by greggarious
I reccomend anyone shut down by Chase file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Apparently they're already looking into the matter: http://consumerist.com/2013/11/15/cf...ards-programs/

The link to file a complaint is here:

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/
Excellent, thanks for posting.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
i really have a problem with those changes to the T&C, the way Chase is marketing their products, and these shutdowns. i believe Chase is in a position of liability for their adverse actions towards customers. The recent change is so disingenuous that it's offensive. every card is marketed almost exclusively on the rewards and the dream of you and some hot girl on a beach smiling and laughing using your rewards like a bigshot. gmafb chase.

this isn't just about being able to 'fire' customers as some say. this isn't Joe's Heating and Air. Chase closing accounts has long lasting ramifications to your credit score and your ability to obtain credit. when Chase PAYS that bow tied idiot mms (and many others) to market their cards with detailed info about MS, they're complicit. again, it's basically entrapment. MMS and others exist to show you how to game the system. they are paid by Chase and others to show you how to apply for multiple cards, churn them where possible, and how to MS in great detail. and they are, again, paid by..... CHASE.

example: lets say you have a long term relationship with chase- 2-3 cards 20+ years aged and, in this example, chase is your primary card company and your only bank account; as you're the loyal type. you've never done MS in your life. 1 day, you stumble across mms and learn about MS. you see chase advertising- clearly it's kosher if Chase is sponsoring it (yes, they'll hide behind disclaimer. good luck with that, is my opinion). you see all the pics of him and Emily in exotic locations, to include gift card racks. as intended, you're reeled in. you use his affiliate links cause you're clueless and start your MS journey emulating him. BAM- chase shuts you down. your fico drops over 100 points because all your card history was with chase. 'closed by card issuer' too- awesome. Now, the reset on your mortgage is next month and you no longer qualify for a good rate.

kinda extreme example, but i don't think it's out of line. When Joe's H&A fires you because you figure out his bait and switch, and he can no longer take advantage of you the way he hoped, it doesn't affect your ability to get a mortgage or other credit. Chase uses tools such as bloggers and aspirational advertising to reel you in and now, if you're not profitable or whatever, they actually commit damages against you when they knock you out with the stick because the carrot they dangled is, unsurprisingly, in your mouth.

i do MS. i preach that i try to make myself a profitable customer to stay in good graces. but Chase and the other card companies are the enablers. anyone who points out any reference to cash equivalents being against the T&C is ignoring the fact that when Chase was selling and marketing their own GC's, you could ONLY buy them with a chase card- and all purchases earned points! i wish their attorney good luck getting that clause to stand up in court.

i have been in business litigation and it was an awful experience. that said, if Chase shut me down, i would be litigious. Chase will hide behind the patriot act, mitigating risk, suspect behaviour, blahblahblah- won't fly with my accounts and situation imo. the documents i would subpoena in discovery would expose them such that, once i was able to get the courts to order Chase to produce them (which they would fight tooth and nail to stop), there's little question in my mind Chase would have an open can of worms for a whole class of plaintiffs. i'm guessing a term from the mortgage days will come back: predatory...
Man, you seem to have some misconceptions about how the credit system works. Let me see if I can clear some of it up for you

1. Chase closing your account will not cause your Ficos to drop 100 points. The only way this would happen is if you owed a bunch of money on them, then it screws with your utilization until you pay it off, then it's like it never happened.

2. You history doesn't vanish the second you close your card (or they close them) they stay for 10 years on your report, so it make no difference at all short term for history if you applied for something the day before and the day after you close your accounts.

3. There is been no proof whatsoever that it matters who closes your account, by consumer or creditor. It really doesn't matter at all.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by whitesol
Man, you seem to have some misconceptions about how the credit system works. Let me see if I can clear some of it up for you

1. Chase closing your account will not cause your Ficos to drop 100 points. The only way this would happen is if you owed a bunch of money on them, then it screws with your utilization until you pay it off, then it's like it never happened.

2. You history doesn't vanish the second you close your card (or they close them) they stay for 10 years on your report, so it make no difference at all short term for history if you applied for something the day before and the day after you close your accounts.

3. There is been no proof whatsoever that it matters who closes your account, by consumer or creditor. It really doesn't matter at all.
I can confirm some of the things you mention for benefit of others.
chase shut me down in March and after that i have been able to sign up for around 10 cards with other issuers. I also got preapproved for a mortgage. I'm sure it had an impact on my credit report, it just hasn't really affected me.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by josephstern
To counter all of those who think 3 cards in 3 months is overkill, I have to say that I've done this a few times with Amex. And, knock on wood, Amex still likes my business.

I think I've even done 3 cards in 1 month with Amex.

Different strokes.
+1. How many people got new AA cards every 33 days or so over the past several months? None of this makes anyone right or wrong, but 3 cards in 3 months is subjective. Apparently for Chase as well.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by LAXtoWorld
Customers being absolutely and totally punished for their lack of inter-company coordination is just outright appalling.

No one told them to give me $20k, $9k, and $12k credit limits on each of the cards. I applied for the credit cards (completely within my right) and they approved me with no problem. I would have happily taken a $5k/5k/5k limit on the cards if I was deemed such an unworthy customer. I would also have happily taken a 2nd or 3rd card application decline. But to completely shut someone out for no reason....I'm sorry, there isn't any amount of "company logic or perspective" that can convince me what they're doing isn't borderline illegal.
It is nowhere near illegal...in fact you agreed to it when you applied, but you probably did not read the T&C's. They can close you down at any time for any reason, just like any business can choose not to do business with you. Illegal>>>not even close
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
To counter all of those who think 3 cards in 3 months is overkill, I have to say that I've done this a few times with Amex. And, knock on wood, Amex still likes my business.

I think I've even done 3 cards in 1 month with Amex.

Different strokes.
Similar for me.

FWIW - Every x years I seem to apply for credit cards... and when I do, I do 4-6 applications for 4-6 different cards... all at the same time.

Why? If I am going to have the inquiries on my credit report, I want them all at the same time so they all disappear at the same time.

(I have not applied for a new card in a few years, but, when I do the next time, it will be multiple.)
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by whitesol

+1

When Chase closed my accounts in April for being a "credit risk", my FICO scores were 750-770.

Now, my FICO scores are 770-813.

Other major banks really don't care that Chase closed accounts vs closed by consumer, as evidenced by a card I had to recon with credit analyst to get approved a few months back.

Speaking of the devil, if they closed my account for being a "credit risk" and I apply with a FICO > 825 in a few months, is there any chance I'll get back in with a near-perfect credit score? I'm still not sure if a "credit risk" closure means blacklisted.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by brc01
+1

When Chase closed my accounts in April for being a "credit risk", my FICO scores were 750-770.

Now, my FICO scores are 770-813.

Other major banks really don't care that Chase closed accounts vs closed by consumer, as evidenced by a card I had to recon with credit analyst to get approved a few months back.

Speaking of the devil, if they closed my account for being a "credit risk" and I apply with a FICO > 825 in a few months, is there any chance I'll get back in with a near-perfect credit score? I'm still not sure if a "credit risk" closure means blacklisted.
same same, it will be many many years
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by skibum7732
same same, it will be many many years
Thanks. Hopefully a decade or so is enough for Chase's greed to heal its wounds.

I wonder if eventually they'll run out of customers to shutdown if they keep going after anyone who applies for 2-3 cards at once.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: UR, United MP, AAdvantage
Oh man... this thread is extremely concerning. I'm pretty much expecting a shut down any day now after reading this.

Here's my profile: Short credit history (2 years). 13 months ago started auto loan with Chase, my first account with them. Recently landed a much higher paying job than anything i'd had in the past, started reading about CC bonuses and MS.

July 20 - Opened Chase Sapphire Preferred - Instant approval - 12k limit
July 24 - Opened Chase Freedom - Instant approval - 7.5k limit
Aug 2 - Opened Citi AA Platinum Select - Instant approval - 8.5k limit
September 7 - Opened Chase United MileagePlus Explorer - Instant approval - 5k limit

This is more than enough for now and I don't plan to apply for anything else in the next 6 months at least. Next card certainly won't be with Chase.

I've only dipped my feet in MS - loaded ~$400 total to Serve from Chase CC's in 3 months, and bought one $300 GC from gas station with Freedom. Nothing else - and certainly won't do any more after reading this. I'm responsible for buying company lunches, office supplies, and other admin expenses for work - so far I've opted to pay with my own cards and get reimbursed - usually around 3k total per month, on top of 1-2k of my own personal spending. Wondering if this could be considered risky.

Signup bonus from Sapphire Preferred just posted to UR tonight, considering moving it all to United or SW right now.

Anyway, I'm glad I read this thread, and will be back to update if anything happens.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by PhotoJ
Oh man... this thread is extremely concerning. I'm pretty much expecting a shut down any day now after reading this.

Here's my profile: Short credit history (2 years). 13 months ago started auto loan with Chase, my first account with them. Recently landed a much higher paying job than anything i'd had in the past, started reading about CC bonuses and MS.

September 7 - Opened Chase United MileagePlus Explorer - Instant approval - 5k limit

This is more than enough for now and I don't plan to apply for anything else in the next 6 months at least. Next card certainly won't be with Chase.

I've only dipped my feet in MS - loaded ~$400 total to Serve from Chase CC's in 3 months, and bought one $300 GC from gas station with Freedom. Nothing else - and certainly won't do any more after reading this. I'm responsible for buying company lunches, office supplies, and other admin expenses for work - so far I've opted to pay with my own cards and get reimbursed - usually around 3k total per month, on top of 1-2k of my own personal spending. Wondering if this could be considered risky.

Signup bonus from Sapphire Preferred just posted to UR tonight, considering moving it all to United or SW right now.

Anyway, I'm glad I read this thread, and will be back to update if anything happens.
I think you will be okay. I agree that you shouldn't apply for any more Chase cards for at least six months, and I'm a little surprised you got an instant approval for the United card. But the amount of spending you are describing does not sound risky at all.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Sep 19, 2014 at 11:15 pm
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:06 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by PhotoJ

I don't think you need to worry at all.
Just proceed like a "normal" customer and you'll be ok. Don't open a lot more cards (looks like a grab for credit), don't MS the heck out of your cards; mix up the spend in regular categories and not just office supply 5x categories; don't run a lot of money orders through your Chase checking (if you have one); and use a stable source to pay your bill every month, such as a check or ACH transfer from one account only.

You should be fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.