Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 5, 19, 11:49 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Wiki Link
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...19-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 10, 14, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by edh101985 View Post
Got the letter...

To many accounts
Not enough credit information on file
To many request for credit or/reviews of credit

How long till I can apply for one again?
I would call for a recon at:

Chase: 888-245-0625 (Credit Analyst - Recons)
Chase: 888-622-7547 (Chase Executive Ofc. in IL)
Chase: 888-688-6708 (Chase Credit Dept additional number?, need confirmation, credit to Express)

You can explain your situation. Chances are they will reinstate one or two cards.
Old Jun 10, 14, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego View Post
Chase and other credit card issuers are looking for spend patterns and credit requests that fit the profile of a person scrambling for funds before defaulting. A huge red flag is applying for lots of credit, like we do, because many people who are spread too thin will use credit cards as a quick and easy fix to pay bills and buy them some time. Add MS to that mix, if indeed they did or do, and you have a profile that appears as a headlong gallop into debt or bankruptcy, using Chase as the piggy bank.
+1

But why does Chase (and other banks) approve these accounts in the first place.

#getittogetherchase
Old Jun 11, 14, 12:53 am

Since your credit history is short, did you do a lot of piggybacking to help get these cards? A friend of mine did this and had his chase accounts closed down.
Old Jun 13, 14, 5:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Chase requires personal ID to verify who you are when depositing cash.
Unless the deposit is via ATM using Chase's own ATM cards. But then the depositing party needs the ATM card and PIN.
Old Jul 26, 14, 6:06 pm

Several cards closed and a few still open. Doesn't seem to be any recourse after combing this thread. Transfer everything out in a hurry?

EDIT: Also, for any previously affected by closure are there any solid data points for UR points actually surviving their 90 day transfer window?

Last edited by mster; Jul 26, 14 at 6:20 pm
Old Jul 26, 14, 6:42 pm

Last November my personal and business accounts were closed, including Private Client account.. 7 figure balances on business accounts.. but a lot of international wires due to business type. 850K+ points gone.. only 150k from signup bonuses. No manufactured spent, no bonus category abuses.

Chase Sucks!
Old Jul 26, 14, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Unless the deposit is via ATM using Chase's own ATM cards. But then the depositing party needs the ATM card and PIN.
There is a remote chance of the cash deposit NOT recorded by the ATM and you would need to file a dispute - happened to an FTer a couple years ago. She deposited just over $2K in after hour because she just found out her Chase card AU had used the AU card for cash advance and she needed to pay it back prompto from the linked Chase account.

Unfortunately the ATM did not recognize the cash deposit and she had to report it the next day. After a few days of investigation, she was made whole. Meanwhile she had to scramble to find another $2K to cover the CA.

Then 2 months later out of the blue, her account was shut down.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 26, 14 at 10:32 pm
Old Jul 26, 14, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mster View Post
Several cards closed and a few still open. Doesn't seem to be any recourse after combing this thread. Transfer everything out in a hurry?

EDIT: Also, for any previously affected by closure are there any solid data points for UR points actually surviving their 90 day transfer window?
You want to take a chance and tell us your experience?

My guess is no one would be so foolish to take the chance hence you would never find any data.
Old Jul 26, 14, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
You want to take a chance and tell us your experience?

My guess is no one would be so foolish to take the chance hence you would never find any data.
Yeah... unsure if anyone's that foolish. All points = transferred .
Old Jul 29, 14, 9:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Originally Posted by member7777 View Post
Chase chased me a couple years ago, I stepped into a branch yesterday to deposit cash into my son's checking account and they have a relatively new policy that does not allow for cash deposits into another person's Chase account unless you have a relationship with the bank.
The teller asked me if I had any relationship with the bank and I almost blurted out we were estranged.
Last time I step into a Chase branch....until my divorce is final lol.
I've seen new signs at my branch that if you're making cash deposits you need to show your photo ID. Beyond that, they're actually enforcing it. Last week I deposited ~$2k in MOs and like $200 in cash and they not only looked at my drivers license, but swiped it into the computer. They never do that with MO only deposits, so I can only assume its the new cash rule in action.
Old Jul 29, 14, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
I would call for a recon at:

Chase: 888-245-0625 (Credit Analyst - Recons)
Chase: 888-622-7547 (Chase Executive Ofc. in IL)
Chase: 888-688-6708 (Chase Credit Dept additional number?, need confirmation, credit to Express)

You can explain your situation. Chances are they will reinstate one or two cards.
You can do recon on accounts that Chase has closed? Does this involve more credit pulls?
Old Jul 30, 14, 9:16 am

You can do recon on accounts that Chase has closed? Does this involve more credit pulls?
If Chase hard pulls your report, be thankful because they're actually considering reopening account.
Old Jul 30, 14, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by agp423 View Post
If Chase hard pulls your report, be thankful because they're actually considering reopening account.
Not sure what relevance that comment has... the question was - is it possible to do recon on accounts that chase has decided to close in this way?
Old Jul 31, 14, 4:15 am

Not sure what relevance that comment has... the question was - is it possible to do recon on accounts that chase has decided to close in this way?
You asked two questions. My answer has absolute relevance to your second question. And the answer to the first is an implied yes.
Old Jul 31, 14, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
I don't think MS within itself caused the shut down.
Chase CSRs have pretty openly acknowledge my MS but seem ok with it
I do use my CHASE cards daily though

See here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-about-ms.html

Search this Thread