Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
What you are missing is the opportunity to transfer your Sapphire points into an airline program, and potentially realize a much greater return than 1.25% by redeeming for flights in that program.
ah, yup! I was looking at points in program, which appeared to actually only be 1%.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by ero2
Hey all! I’m a long time member and have used my SPG Amex religiously since 2002, and am now looking to replace. My question is pretty simple, if the sapphire allows you to redeem at 1.25%, wouldn’t a 1.5% cash back card provide more value? I’m sure what I’m missing is something obvious since I haven’t looked at the point game in a long time...thanks in advance for any insight!
You're comparing a redemption rate to an earnings rate. That cash back card you referred to earns 1.5% on all spend, but can only be redeemed as cash. No additional upside.

Sapphire Preferred earns 2 pts/$ spent on dining and travel which can be redeemed at 1.25 cpp in the travel portal. That's a total of 2.5%. Sapphire Reserve earns 3 pts/$ spent in those same categories which can be redeemed at 1.5 cpp in the travel portal. That's a total of 4.5%. The 5x points earned by Freedom in it's rotating categories become 6.25% when you combine them onto your Sapphire Preferred or 7.5% when you combine them onto your Sapphire Reserve. As mentioned, you may also achieve a higher redemption rate when you transfer to travel partners, so there's even more potential upside.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:01 am

I have the CSP now, can I PC to the CSR for 6 months, use benefits then go back down to CSP so can get referral bonus when P2 applies?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by geoff325
I have the CSP now, can I PC to the CSR for 6 months, use benefits then go back down to CSP so can get referral bonus when P2 applies?
If you have at least a $10k credit limit on your CSP and it's at least 12 months old, you can PC it to CSR. Now, as far as the rest of what you propose, you technically can. It does, in my mind, begin to approach that grey area of "abuse" that I prefer to avoid. That being said, my risk tolerance is very low given the current size of my UR stash and how valuable I deem them to be.

Ultimately, I think you'd be fine. I've certainly seen worse, but I just didn't want to answer your question as if it was risk free.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 10:59 am

My partner signed up for CSP in late September. After a few weeks, she called customer service to say the card never arrived. A new card was sent but didn't arrive until this weekend. Chase says she has until late December to spend the $4k, which would be 3 months from the September sign-up date. But that's really only about seven weeks with the card and $4k in that time would be tough, whereas she could definitely pull it off with more time. Obviously, we're not pleased with this. That date should be pushed back to 3 months once the card is activated, right?
Old Nov 3, 2019, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
My partner signed up for CSP in late September. After a few weeks, she called customer service to say the card never arrived. A new card was sent but didn't arrive until this weekend. Chase says she has until late December to spend the $4k, which would be 3 months from the September sign-up date. But that's really only about seven weeks with the card and $4k in that time would be tough, whereas she could definitely pull it off with more time. Obviously, we're not pleased with this. That date should be pushed back to 3 months once the card is activated, right?
Your friend should have been more proactive and called Chase sooner. They likely will not agree to an extension (you can ask via SM), and even if they do agree, it might prove hard to get them to honor it after the fact.

Fwiw, Chase (in practice) do give a couple of extra weeks beyond 90 days. But this could prove to be a ymmv, though there are enough datapoints supporting it. For example, see: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.doc...quirement/amp/
Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:26 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
.... Chase (in practice) do give a couple of extra weeks beyond 90 days. ....
I believe this has changed, and the deadline date displayed in the Chase mobile app, which tracks progress, is the real date.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I believe this has changed, and the deadline date displayed in the Chase mobile app, which tracks progress, is the real date.
Yep, the tracker has added more complexity to this but the DoC post I linked to above has datapoints (via Reddit), that, unofficially, Chase is still giving the extra days. But yes, it is a ymmv, though OP can have their friend SM Chase and get a bonus-complete-by date and see where they stand.
mia likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Anyone bite? Was approved and showed up in account but now gone...

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...fer-fixed-apr/
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:19 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I moved your post into the current discussion of Sapphire Preferred. The other thread was from 2012.

Originally Posted by msp3
Anyone bite? Was approved and showed up in account but now gone...

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...fer-fixed-apr/
The linked article has apparently been taken down. Please provide more information about the offer.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 4:15 pm

CSP 80K Offer

Anyone else notice the CSP now showing 80K ($4k spend) for new accounts? Impressive sign up bonus!

https://creditcards.chase.com/reward...,37&iCELL=61HG
Old Sep 14, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Chase head faking people with the Freedom Flex for 20,000 URs....then quietly unveils this.

Nice timing too....anyone who ever had a CSR can't get this right now.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Smile

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Chase head faking people with the Freedom Flex for 20,000 URs....then quietly unveils this.

CSR came out 8/2016, so its only a matter of time until the 4 years post bonus timeout expires. I myself will be signing up in Oct
Old Sep 14, 2020, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I got my CSR 10/2016 and my SUB on my 11/2016 statement. I highly doubt this offer will be around into December, but who knows. 80K makes the CSP much more attractive!
Old Sep 14, 2020, 4:52 pm

I got my CSR in Aug 2016 when it launched. I believe I got the sub in September. Is there a way to find out from Chase if I would qualify for this sub? Or I just have to wait until Oct to apply?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.