Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by lsquare
Thanks for the comment. Your post got my attention. I just looked at my CSP and I don't think it's contactless. I don't see any logos indicating that it have such capability. Is Chase still sending out non-contactless cards? I guess so since think I think I have one.
The contactless logo on the Reserve is on the bottom right corner of the back of the card. I believe Chase is sending out contactless credit cards by default nowadays on all cards.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Adelphos
The contactless logo on the Reserve is on the bottom right corner of the back of the card. I believe Chase is sending out contactless credit cards by default nowadays on all cards.
Oh, you're right! I missed it. It's to the left of the Visa Signature logo. I tried to use the contactless feature last night, but it didn't work in the terminal.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Oh, you're right! I missed it. It's to the left of the Visa Signature logo. I tried to use the contactless feature last night, but it didn't work in the terminal.
The back of the card needs to face the terminal on most metal cards. They might also need to be held closer than plastic cards depending on the terminal.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
The back of the card needs to face the terminal on most metal cards. They might also need to be held closer than plastic cards depending on the terminal.
I'm pretty sure I tried both sides of my CSP. I even had the card touching the terminal on both sides and it didn't work. I'll try again later today at a McDonald's or something.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm pretty sure I tried both sides of my CSP. I even had the card touching the terminal on both sides and it didn't work. I'll try again later today at a McDonald's or something.
Hopefully it does. Otherwise, you may have gotten a dud (I already had to replace my contactless Chase Freedom due to contactless no longer working, so perhaps there are still kinks in the manufacturing process to work out).
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:59 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
My contactless CSR is very fussy on placement. I find it works best if placed so that the area behind the visible chip is placed against the reader. (Which does also happen to be near where the contactless logo is on the back of my card.)
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Same for me, though it seems to be independent of positioning. Some days it just won't really work. I always think it's the reader, but then it'll work fine another day. Who knows.

In related news, the CSP truly looks awful now in its dark drab coat. I can barely see the print in some light. That's not too bad for the CSR, which looks OK in black but the CSP is... just not blue.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:17 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by Adelphos

I have a metal “non-contactless” Chase Sapphire Preferred, a contactless metal Chase Sapphire Reserve and a “non-contactless” Amex Platinum. Of the three, the Reserve is the lightest. It looks fine, but contactless metal cards are lighter as they have to have some kind of plastic in them. I would guess that the contactless Amex Platinum feels similar to the contactless Sapphire Reserve
I have a contactless and non-contactless metal Platinum and both feel a lot nicer. The front of the contactless Amex is metal and the back... maybe isn't? Not sure, but the front is satisfyingly metallic in feel. The CSR just feels and looks like plastic.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
Same for me, though it seems to be independent of positioning. Some days it just won't really work. I always think it's the reader, but then it'll work fine another day. Who knows.

In related news, the CSP truly looks awful now in its dark drab coat. I can barely see the print in some light. That's not too bad for the CSR, which looks OK in black but the CSP is... just not blue.
My Freedom card was behaving inconsistently with contactless before it stopped working entirely (inserting still worked, however). I had to get a replacement card to get working contactless again. Maybe there's some sort of defect in your card? FWIW, as long as I tap the back of my CSR, I haven't really had any issues not attributed to user error, though I think I have to hold it closer than with my plastic cards.

Also, I prefer the CSR's coloring to the CSP's, but that's definitely personal preference.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopefully it does. Otherwise, you may have gotten a dud (I already had to replace my contactless Chase Freedom due to contactless no longer working, so perhaps there are still kinks in the manufacturing process to work out).
I forgot to update you on my situation with the CSP. So my CSP does work so I think the terminal that I used before wasn't active. Contactless payment is awesome! I wish all card issuers use it!

Thx bro!
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I forgot to update you on my situation with the CSP. So my CSP does work so I think the terminal that I used before wasn't active. Contactless payment is awesome! I wish all card issuers use it!

Thx bro!
No worries. ^

We'll see how many other issuers adopt it. I feel like many got burned last time they tried contactless, so they're okay supporting it only via Apple/Google Pay--at least for now, anyway. Evidence of significant use of it by e.g. Chase customers, on the other hand, might change that.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No worries. ^

We'll see how many other issuers adopt it. I feel like many got burned last time they tried contactless, so they're okay supporting it only via Apple/Google Pay--at least for now, anyway. Evidence of significant use of it by e.g. Chase customers, on the other hand, might change that.
It's easier to find contactless terminals abroad like Canada and the UK. I've been using it non-stop. I'm not sure what the limit is. So far all of my contactless transactions are less than $100.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's easier to find contactless terminals abroad like Canada and the UK. I've been using it non-stop. I'm not sure what the limit is. So far all of my contactless transactions are less than $100.
No limit in the US, £30 in the UK and $100 in Canada.

But yeah, I think without Apple leading the way, the 50/50 acceptance would be more like close to zero. And I doubt Chase (or anyone else) would have even bothered with the cards, either, except maybe in limited cases for people traveling abroad.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:58 pm

Chase sapphire, what am I missing?

Hey all! I’m a long time member and have used my SPG Amex religiously since 2002, and am now looking to replace. My question is pretty simple, if the sapphire allows you to redeem at 1.25%, wouldn’t a 1.5% cash back card provide more value? I’m sure what I’m missing is something obvious since I haven’t looked at the point game in a long time...thanks in advance for any insight!
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by ero2
Hey all! I’m a long time member and have used my SPG Amex religiously since 2002, and am now looking to replace. My question is pretty simple, if the sapphire allows you to redeem at 1.25%, wouldn’t a 1.5% cash back card provide more value? I’m sure what I’m missing is something obvious since I haven’t looked at the point game in a long time...thanks in advance for any insight!
What you are missing is the opportunity to transfer your Sapphire points into an airline program, and potentially realize a much greater return than 1.25% by redeeming for flights in that program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.