Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Just have a question for those that have done the AU bonus 5K UR points before. I added an AU to my account but I did not request a card to be sent for that AU since I don't want to get any more unnecessary plastic just to satisfy the 5K points.

From what the Chase rep told me, he said in order to get the bonus the AU has to make a purchase. My thought was to buy a small Amazon GC by entering the AU name and using my (primary) card number/address/exp date, etc to buy the Amazon GC. I am not sure if the purchase will go through.

My question does this work to satisfy the AU requirement or should I request a plastic card in the AU name to be sent and just buy a small purchase at the grocery store to satisfy the requirement? Any advice? I have to do the same thing for my Marriott card so I will have to do the same thing based on the advice.
Are you really going through all this extra effort so that you don't have to bother with a small credit-card sized piece of plastic (actually, metal) arriving in your mailbox?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dihorul
I just received the card and welcome package in the mail, but there's no mention of the 50k points bonus. I got the last bonus in January 2014, so there's been over two years. A year ago I converted CSP to Chase Sapphire, so I don't have to pay the AF. Why do you think that they are not giving me the bonus?
Have you received anything telling you that you aren't eligible for the bonus? The welcome package and emails typically don't mention anything about the bonus. If you want to be sure, call the number on the back of the card and ask the rep to verify that you are enrolled in the 50k bonus.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by ryanmcv
Have you received anything telling you that you aren't eligible for the bonus? The welcome package and emails typically don't mention anything about the bonus. If you want to be sure, call the number on the back of the card and ask the rep to verify that you are enrolled in the 50k bonus.
No, I didn't receive anything saying that I'm not eligible either. I called Chase and I'm enrolled in the 50k bonus. Thank you
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Are you really going through all this extra effort so that you don't have to bother with a small credit-card sized piece of plastic (actually, metal) arriving in your mailbox?
I got my question answered by the Chase rep. And no its not really extra effort since that is now OBE since I don't actually have to make a purchase with the AU. It would be a waste of metal to send me a card on something that would never be used.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:01 pm

scouring the web for data points of anyone getting approved having more than 10 openings in two years against the 5/24 rule seem futile. Seen some that were approved but they had targeted offers. Bummed.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:36 pm

Could anyone let me know if current CSP 50K UR offer will expire by the end of March? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Applied 10 days ago...got a letter yesterday rejecting me... The explanation was "Too many CC opened in last 2 years" ugh

I was quite surprised...I have 4 other chase cards..Slate, United, Hyatt and Marriott..... and I think Ive opened total 6 CC in last 2 years (2 amex, 1 Citi, 1 WF, 2 Chase)..... but still have them all.. and perfect payment history on them...

Im also 745...

Is there something im missing here?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by elg26
Applied 10 days ago...got a letter yesterday rejecting me... The explanation was "Too many CC opened in last 2 years" ugh

I was quite surprised...I have 4 other chase cards..Slate, United, Hyatt and Marriott..... and I think Ive opened total 6 CC in last 2 years (2 amex, 1 Citi, 1 WF, 2 Chase)..... but still have them all.. and perfect payment history on them...

Im also 745...

Is there something im missing here?
I think you fall under the 5/24 rule. If you google it there's a lot of info.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:55 pm

Applied CSP for myself in Dec 2015 at the branch, got instant approved. I had more than 5 CCs in the last 2 years.

Applied CSP for DH in Nov 2015 online, got a denial letter, too many CCs in the last 2 years. In Feb 2016, re-applied in branch, got approved right away. So the branch must have had different approval algorithm than the online system.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by wolam
Applied CSP for myself in Dec 2015 at the branch, got instant approved. I had more than 5 CCs in the last 2 years.

Applied CSP for DH in Nov 2015 online, got a denial letter, too many CCs in the last 2 years. In Feb 2016, re-applied in branch, got approved right away. So the branch must have had different approval algorithm than the online system.
So I should retry at branch? Question is how long should I wait?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by elg26
So I should retry at branch? Question is how long should I wait?
Seems to me like your options are to

1) apply for Chase cards at a later date when you have not opened 5 cards in the last 24 months (this might be 2 years from now) or,

(2) say bye to new Chase apps and go play with other banks.

Doing 2 will affect your ability to do 1.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by wolam
Or perhaps enough "new" cards dropped off in the 3 month period between Nov and Feb?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by spidy1
Took the plunge and applied again for my wife. Got the same message as before. It will be a rejection and not budging on the 5/24 rule, even when she is AU on 2 of my cards. Damn you chase. I will apply for IHG & Hyatt for her and then say goodbye to chase forever and work with Citi and others.
After i got the denial letter for my wife, i asked her to call them and ask if they are willing to reconsider their decision. Asked a few questions about her work, income, expenses and then was approved.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:52 am

I would ask the banker if they see anything on your account for the Chase Sapphire Preferred. My banker said even if my DH got denied, they can call the credit card group and put in some kind of relationship justification. Luckily, he got approved when they submitted the application. When he applied in Nov, he called reconsideration but they wouldn't budge. BTW, we are both Chase Private Client so we get 60K UR points for CSP.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:52 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Stupid question, but I want to be sure: Does specifying an authorized user in the application form trigger the 5k bonus, or does the additional user need to be added AFTER approval? I've always done it post-approval in the past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.