Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : now 50K + 5K, $4k spend, AF waived 1st yr

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : now 50K + 5K, $4k spend, AF waived 1st yr

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 6, 18, 1:25 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
Note: Referrals are NOT allowed in this thread. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first)

Q. What is the best current offer?
A. 50K points for $4K spend over 3 months; AF waived first year, with an extra 5K for adding additional cardholder. (application)

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.
Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?
A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.
Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?
A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?
A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 1, 18, 12:46 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by randys1 View Post
.... if your card and account are in the name of your business....
The accounts will be in your name, the same as a personal account. The business name will appear on a second line. The application will be evaluated based on your personal credit. Your business is a minor consideration.
Old Aug 1, 18, 12:47 pm

thanks.

Last edited by randys1; Aug 1, 18 at 12:57 pm
Old Aug 6, 18, 1:27 pm

After this month, I'll be at 4/24 (one of the 4 is an AU on another card--Barclay Arrival +, but it'll be about 2 more months before that can be removed as the Primary account holder will cancel this month and you have to wait 30 days afterwards before you can get it removed from your credit report).

That being said:

I had the CSP years ago (4 or more) and PC to the (then) Chase Sapphire (no AF) card, that to my understanding, no longer is available to new folks.

Is the Sapphire card, considered "like" product, if I decide to apply for the CSP for the bonus (you can't have the CSR or CSP I think if you want the bonus, but don't recall if you can have the Sapphire card)?

I'm debating about whether the CSP/CSR or "wait and see" if the United card has another 70k mileage bonus (should be due for one soon yes?)
But given that I doubt we'll see the 100k CSR bonus again, probably CSP is the better option (vs. CSR).
Old Aug 6, 18, 1:51 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by hurnik View Post
Is the Sapphire card, considered "like" product....
Yes, you will need to change it to a Freedom, Freedom Unlimited or Slate card.
Old Aug 6, 18, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Yes, you will need to change it to a Freedom, Freedom Unlimited or Slate card.
Thank you. I have the Freedom card already, so I'll just transfer the points into that card and then close the Sapphire card?
Is there a wait time (30 days or something) after closing the Sapphire card that I should wait before applying for the CSP?
Old Aug 12, 18, 1:24 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by hurnik View Post
Thank you. I have the Freedom card already, so I'll just transfer the points into that card and then close the Sapphire card?
Is there a wait time (30 days or something) after closing the Sapphire card that I should wait before applying for the CSP?
You will keep your credit history if you downgrade your card. You could get a second freedom card or the unlimited (good for non bonus spend).
Old Aug 29, 18, 2:03 pm

I'm trying to figure out why my 30,000 bonus points did not post after meeting $20,000 spend. My statement just closed and it is not showing. I already received the 50,000 pts /$4,000 spend.

I think I'm one of the few that can't recall ever seeing chase UR bonus post in activity as "pending". From what I can recall, the bonus usually just posts once the statement closes. Not this time.

Let me know your thoughts
Old Aug 29, 18, 6:17 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Ali Taheri View Post
.... statement just closed and it is not showing.....
If you completed the spend in the last week before the statement date the bonus should past with the next statement. This is common across all Chase cards. They seem to cut off bonus tracking about a week before the closing date.
Old Sep 29, 18, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Ali Taheri View Post
I'm trying to figure out why my 30,000 bonus points did not post after meeting $20,000 spend. My statement just closed and it is not showing. I already received the 50,000 pts /$4,000 spend.

I think I'm one of the few that can't recall ever seeing chase UR bonus post in activity as "pending". From what I can recall, the bonus usually just posts once the statement closes. Not this time.

Let me know your thoughts
Originally Posted by mia View Post
If you completed the spend in the last week before the statement date the bonus should past with the next statement. This is common across all Chase cards. They seem to cut off bonus tracking about a week before the closing date.
I'm well versed with Chase bonuses and have met the spending requirement on the CSP 13 days before the statement closed and the bonus did not appear (slightly odd). The next statement just closed and the bonus points still have not appeared, marking 6 weeks now.. Anyone else experiencing this longer timeframe lately? I did confirm via SM that I met the spending requirement.
Old Dec 6, 18, 9:47 pm

Someone explain to me value of CSP please

Got it for churning but can't understand why anyone would keep this card.

$95/yr gets you 2.25% (when used for flights) on dining/travel.

My Barclays Uber is 3% travel and 4% dining, free. WF Propel is 3% on both, and gas, but bumps up to 4.5% if I transfer to a Signature Visa; both free. The list goes on...

Trying to understand why anyone would pay $95 to get less points. At-least the BoA Premium Rewards card with similar points and the same fee gives you a $100 statement credit for travel expenses.

Genuinely looking for some insight as this seems to be a very popular card. I certainly look forward to spending the bonus but don't plan to put a dollar more than the $4K I already have.
Old Dec 6, 18, 10:06 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG/UA Plat
What are you planning to use the card for? It's less vaulable when you are redeeming for cash back, gift cards, or even booking travels through the UR portal. The high value redemptions exist with its transfer partners.

Also, the annual fee is waived the first year.
Old Dec 6, 18, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
What are you planning to use the card for? It's less vaulable when you are redeeming for cash back, gift cards, or even booking travels through the UR portal. The high value redemptions exist with its transfer partners.

Also, the annual fee is waived the first year.
Understood on the waive, hence why I had no qualms about snagging it for the generous bonus.

My top spend is Restaurants/Bars, followed by Travel and Groceries/Gas. maybe I don't understand the transfer partners but all I have seen is a 1.25x boost when you use for flights; guess I did my math wrong, it isn't 2.25% but a whopping 2.5%. Just struggling to see how it can compete with many of the free cars out there.

Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 18, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by cashtinkerer View Post
Understood on the waive, hence why I had no qualms about snagging it for the generous bonus.

My top spend is Restaurants/Bars, followed by Travel and Groceries/Gas. maybe I don't understand the transfer partners but all I have seen is a 1.25x boost when you use for flights; guess I did my math wrong, it isn't 2.25% but a whopping 2.5%. Just struggling to see how it can compete with many of the free cars out there.

Thanks!
The CSP is very useful for transferring points from a Freedom card and an Ink card, both of which have handy bonus categories, thereby further enhancing the value of those bonus points. It has a significant compounding effect far exceeding the annual fee.
Old Dec 6, 18, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia View Post

The CSP is very useful for transferring points from a Freedom card and an Ink card, both of which have handy bonus categories, thereby further enhancing the value of those bonus points. It has a significant compounding effect far exceeding the annual fee.
I need to slow down to get under 5/24 and nab any other Chase cards but I'll run some calcs to see if my Propel/Signature is clearly beat out.
Old Dec 7, 18, 4:14 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue, SU Bonus
Originally Posted by cashtinkerer View Post

Thanks!
Transferring miles to partners will quite often give you the miles you need for direct redemptions with those partners that are worth significantly more per mile.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: