Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by sppunk
If I apply for the new Sapphire Reserved, can I instantly transfer my 140,000 UR points to that new card and then downgrade my CSP to Freedom or whatever to eliminate the AF?
Yes
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:51 pm

I have a pretty dumb question. I've had CSP for about 20 months.

If I apply for the new Sapphire Reserved, can I instantly transfer my 140,000 UR points to that new card and then downgrade my CSP to Freedom or whatever to eliminate the AF? I'd never really use it but keep for credit history/spending (annually put around $65,000 on the card).
You'd do well to look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...de-cancel.html, especially the wiki (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1474269)
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Yes
Thanks. If I apply for the Reserved would I traditionally be eligible for the bonus since it's not the same card?0, i.e. not a churn (if I'm understanding it correctly)?

Originally Posted by beltway
I did and quickly got overwhelmed.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:28 am

Thanks. If I apply for the Reserved would I traditionally be eligible for the bonus since it's not the same card?0, i.e. not a churn (if I'm understanding it correctly)?
Yes

Last edited by Troopers; Aug 17, 2016 at 8:55 am
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:35 am

the AF for my csp just hit so i'm most likely going to cancel and get the reserve card. I'll keep the reserve card for 1 year at least to double dip the travel reimbursement but for the second year i might cancel. I'm wondering if I cancel the reserve and reapply for the CSP can I get the bonus again? I've had the CSP for 4 years now so it's been over 2 already since I received the bonus. Can I cancel the CSP then in one year reapply and get the bonus again? I'll need at least one card that allows transfer to partners
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:45 am

Can I cancel the CSP then in one year reapply and get the bonus again?
Yes.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by evor1
the AF for my csp just hit so i'm most likely going to cancel and get the reserve card. I'll keep the reserve card for 1 year at least to double dip the travel reimbursement but for the second year i might cancel. I'm wondering if I cancel the reserve and reapply for the CSP can I get the bonus again? I've had the CSP for 4 years now so it's been over 2 already since I received the bonus. Can I cancel the CSP then in one year reapply and get the bonus again? I'll need at least one card that allows transfer to partners
You should be able to as long as Chase doesn't change the bonus terms -- you would have to check next year to see what the latest bonus terms are when you're ready to reapply

Currently its "This product is available to you if you do not have this card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months" and they also have the 5/24 rule
Old Sep 10, 2016, 10:51 am

Chase Sapphire transaction search time period

Hi, I don't know what other forum to ask this. My Chase Sapphire Preferred and Reserve both only allow for viewing and searching up to 90 days of transactions online with out having to download the statements. My Chase Ink Plus allows up to 25 months. Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the period on the Sapphire cards?
Old Sep 10, 2016, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by blulegend
Hi, I don't know what other forum to ask this. My Chase Sapphire Preferred and Reserve both only allow for viewing and searching up to 90 days of transactions online with out having to download the statements. My Chase Ink Plus allows up to 25 months. Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the period on the Sapphire cards?
Just looked at my wife's CSP acct. and it (activity) goes back to 5/13/16, almost 4 months. Then it's stmt. time. And, no, I don't know of a way to increase the activity period. Sorry.

Last edited by philemer; Sep 10, 2016 at 8:39 pm
Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by blulegend
Have you tried getting the year end statement? I realize that won't help for early months of 2016, but wasn't sure what you were looking for.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:37 pm

chase sapphire avail to canadians?

Hello,
Anyone know if Canadians are able to apply for the Chase credit card? Thanks
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:44 am

Just checking if the authorized users still get the 5k bonus. Please confirm.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:11 am

Just checking if the authorized users still get the 5k bonus. It doesn't explicitly say on the application anymore so I'm assuming not.

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/sapphire/apply50
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by calisoldier83
Just checking if the authorized users still get the 5k bonus. It doesn't explicitly say on the application anymore so I'm assuming not.

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/sapphire/apply50
Still available -- scroll all the way down

Use someone's referral link instead -- doesn't cost you anything
Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
I added my wife as an authorized user. Is there any problem with sending her a referral invitation so she can sign up for the 50K bonus, as long as she isn't over the 5/24 limit?

(I saw that in past years referred friends might have received the lesser bonus, but right now the referral invitation page says friends will get 50K)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.