Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by bklgafly
Hey,

Have anyone been able to get that 60+5 bonus from CSP? I got the 100k for ink pref by talking to my relation manager at Chase so thinking about calling him about this CSP offer as well...

And on a different note... if I get the CSP now - I cannot apply for CSR later and get the bonus for that card?
??? The CSP and CSR are different products. It's possible to get bonuses for both. You might want to ck. the "Applying for Chase credit cards..." thread. 5/24 is a factor and your credit worthiness is also a factor. [Edit: also see info in linked post below.]

Last edited by philemer; Dec 23, 2017 at 10:08 pm
Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:14 am

You cannot get both the CSP and CSR bonuses within a 24 month period now. See: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...hire-card.html
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Approved for CSP in Jan 2012 and can't remember whether or not my approval was instant. Planning to apply for another one next month.

Are those of you who got approved recently getting it instantly approved?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:49 am

HI all - CSP opened in October 2017 - just realized I never added my wife as AU for the extra 5k UR.
Question 1: if I add her now via website, and she makes a purchase, will the 5k UR just "appear" or do I have to do something different (or, was that a one time chance only.. like you only get that 5k for the AU at account opening)?
Question 2: assume I add her as an AU, can she apply for a CSP herself later without cancelling the AU, or do I have to cancel AU first then she applies? (Also, I assume being an AU doesn't "mess" with her ability to get new account bonus?)

TIA!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by levilevi
HI all - CSP opened in October 2017 - just realized I never added my wife as AU for the extra 5k UR.
Question 1: if I add her now via website, and she makes a purchase, will the 5k UR just "appear" or do I have to do something different (or, was that a one time chance only.. like you only get that 5k for the AU at account opening)?
Question 2: assume I add her as an AU, can she apply for a CSP herself later without cancelling the AU, or do I have to cancel AU first then she applies? (Also, I assume being an AU doesn't "mess" with her ability to get new account bonus?)

TIA!
You might be too late for the AU bonus. But if you aren't:

1- Just add her and the bonus should appear on the next statement. She doesn't need to use the card.
2- She'll still be eligible for her own CSP and bonus
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
You might be too late for the AU bonus. But if you aren't:

1- Just add her and the bonus should appear on the next statement. She doesn't need to use the card.
2- She'll still be eligible for her own CSP and bonus
Yeah - kinda what I was wondering - I dont see any verbage anywhere about needing to add an AU at account opening, but I dont see any verbage anywhere now that the account is open that I get a bonus for adding an AU
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:36 am

FYI - saw some bloggers showing the new account bonus is now available at 60k/4k/3mo but $95 fee not waived year one. 5k AU bonus still there.
So... is 10k worth $95? Likely yes.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:54 am

Saw that about the 60k. May try for it even though they say I'm 5/24 but one of those 5's are a store card...Hey the most they can say is no...
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
FYI - saw some bloggers showing the new account bonus is now available at 60k/4k/3mo but $95 fee not waived year one. 5k AU bonus still there.
Absolutely
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by kerrigjl
Absolutely
Yep - got for my wife (I got CSP about 6 months ago) and added myself as AU too.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pallhedge
Before 1 year, Chase generally only allows downgrades to the old Chase Sapphire no-annual-fee card. You can then product change that to a CFU after a few days. You keep the UR's with the new card.
so I downgrade to Chase Sapphire, wait a week, then move to CFU to get around the 1 year rule?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:40 am

Date Chase Sapphire Preferred Switched to 60K Points And Annual Fee 1st Year

Hi everyone,

Could someone tell me the date that Chase Sapphire Preferred switched to 60K points and annual fee 1st year?
I believe this new deal was rolled out for ony about a week or so from today.

I applied for card toward the end of Febuary 2018. Pretty sure the deal was 50K points and no annual fee first year.
Chase has just told me my account is on their current deal of 60K and annual fee first year now.

Last edited by jtks45; Mar 5, 2018 at 5:42 am Reason: _
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012

so I downgrade to Chase Sapphire, wait a week, then move to CFU to get around the 1 year rule?
That works. Waiting a full week is probably a bit of overkill, but this usually isn't a time sensitive exercise. You need to call to product change now. Chase seems to have stopped doing this via Secure Message.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:42 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jtks45
...date that Chase Sapphire Preferred switched to 60K points and annual fee 1st year?....
First mention in this thread was on February 27, but that does not mean that the previous offer disappeared from every site simultaneously.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by mia
First mention in this thread was on February 27, but that does not mean that the previous offer disappeared from every site simultaneously.
Thank you, mia, for moving my post to this thread and for your reply.
I actually applied on the morning of Feb. 27th. I think I saw the old offer when applying but it is possible it was changed and I missed it.

Last edited by jtks45; Mar 5, 2018 at 6:20 pm Reason: _

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.