Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2016, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Two week plus ago, I lost my Sapphire card. They immediately called to report it. They gave the account a new number (which was up on my online account information immediately). I was told a new card would be issued within 5 business days. Today, I called to ask about the card. They hadn't bothered to send it yet. They will now rush it to be via UPS.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SPG
None of the links in this thread worked for me.

This did: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/sapphire/apply50
Old Jul 31, 2016, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by ycrimi
None of the links in this thread worked for me.

This did: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/sapphire/apply50
That is literally the first link in the wiki.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:52 am

Are there any data points for people getting UR retention points on CSP Annual Fee?
Old Aug 5, 2016, 2:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ProfessorX
...UR retention points on CSP Annual Fee?
Please see this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...5-present.html
Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:59 pm

Accruing Ultimate Reward Points

After I've gotten any bonuses on Sapphire Preferred doesn't it make more sense to keep the Sapphire for later transfers of points, but use Freedom Unlimited for purchases as you earn 1.5 instead of 1 on each dollar. Or am I missing something? You can pool all your points and transfer correct?
Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:16 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by adam61
After I've gotten any bonuses on Sapphire Preferred doesn't it make more sense to keep the Sapphire for later transfers of points, but use Freedom Unlimited for purchases as you earn 1.5 instead of 1 on each dollar. Or am I missing something? You can pool all your points and transfer correct?
You pretty much got the gist of it. Once the minimum spend is met and you get the bonus there is really no reason to use it for anything other than travel and restaurants. On the these catagories you get 2 points per dollar spent.

If you want to kick it up a notch get the plain old Freedom card and use it exclusively for bonus catagories. One quarter each year they usually offer restaurants @ 5x points. This would mean you wouldn't utilize the Sapphire for this quarter because 5>2.

The Sapphire "unless you do a .... ton of travel" isn't really much of a points earner. You're going to earn many more points using your other cards. But the Sapphire is great at allowing you to transfer all those points to travel partners where you get a much better value out of them.

Last edited by Critterlynn; Aug 14, 2016 at 4:12 pm
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:47 am

I'm concerned I may have screwed up on getting the signup bonus. The email "welcoming me to Chase Sapphire Preferred" was dated 6/14, but my first statement shows the "period" as being 6/12-7/11. My second statement is then 7/12-8/11. Unfortunately my spending on these first two statements was a little shy of $4000. So the statement that gets me over the threshold will not issue until 9/11 (presuming the period is 8/12-9/11). That's cutting it really close on the 3 month period for the signup bonus spending.

But I notice Chase has an option for changing my due date, so maybe move up that 9/11 closing date. I phoned them, and they said yes, changing the due date would change the statement closing date; but also, there's a month lag before this goes into effect, so it wouldn't help me on that 9/11 closing date.

When I explained my concern about meeting the $4000 within 3 months, she said it has nothing to do with the statement closing date, IOW, as long as I spend the $4000 by the 3 month time (which I will easily do) I should be good. This is contrary to what I've read here regarding other cards, but maybe the policy is different for this card ? Maybe I'm just paranoid :-)

Last edited by RustyShackleford1; Aug 14, 2016 at 11:13 am
Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford1
I'm concerned I may have screwed up on getting the signup bonus. The email "welcoming me to Chase Sapphire Preferred" was dated 6/14, but my first statement shows the "period" as being 6/12-7/11. My second statement is then 7/12-8/11. Unfortunately my spending on these first two statements was a little shy of $4000. So the statement that gets me over the threshold will not issue until 9/11 (presuming the period is 8/12-9/11). That's cutting it really close on the 3 month period for the signup bonus spending.

But I notice Chase has an option for changing my due date, so maybe move up that 9/11 closing date. I phoned them, and they said yes, changing the due date would change the statement closing date; but also, there's a month lag before this goes into effect, so it wouldn't help me on that 9/11 closing date.

When I explained my concern about meeting the $4000 within 3 months, she said it has nothing to do with the statement closing date, IOW, as long as I spend the $4000 by the 3 month time (which I will easily do) I should be good. This is contrary to what I've read here regarding other cards, but maybe the policy is different for this card ? Maybe I'm just paranoid :-)
Go buy something expensive nowl You'll feel better.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Go buy something expensive nowl You'll feel better.
Thanks. But it'll still end up on the 9/11 statement, since the 8/11 statement has already closed, so my concern about the 3 month thing still applies. I was only $150 or so short (of my $4000) on the 8/11 statement, so I don't need to buy anything very expensive, in fact I've probably already bought enough (since the 8/11 statement closed).
Old Aug 14, 2016, 2:31 pm

yeah, i havent used my CSP since Feb 2016. Im just waiting for AF to hit so i can drop it down to a CFU. Currently, the regular freedom is doing all my restaurant spendings...
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:11 pm

Note if you don't have one of the 'premium' Ultimate Rewards cards and only the Freedoms, you cannot transfer to partners - only cash back.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Productivity
Note if you don't have one of the 'premium' Ultimate Rewards cards and only the Freedoms, you cannot transfer to partners - only cash back.
And this is really the only reason to carry this card. Sure the primary car insurance is nice and you do get 2x points on travel and dining but how much of your total spend is actually in these catagories? Probably not much percentage wise and when you consider that the FU earns 1.5 points and the regular Freedom earns 5x points on bonus catagories, you aren't missing out on much. This is especially true when the bonus catagories on the Freedom overlap the 2x catagories on the Sapphire.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Productivity
Mine is called the "Chase Sapphire Preferred". Is that "premium" ?

Also, is there any consensus on my question (a few posts back) about whether I messed up on getting the signup bonus ?

Last edited by RustyShackleford1; Aug 14, 2016 at 6:37 pm
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford1
Thanks. But it'll still end up on the 9/11 statement, since the 8/11 statement has already closed, so my concern about the 3 month thing still applies. I was only $150 or so short (of my $4000) on the 8/11 statement, so I don't need to buy anything very expensive, in fact I've probably already bought enough (since the 8/11 statement closed).
You have three months from account opening to spend the $4,000. There is no way they're going to cut you off at 60 something days and claim you didn't meet the requirement. However, don't expect the bonus points to post until after the statement date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.