Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Ninja2436
I just got my CSP in the mail. I'd like to add my girlfriend as an authorized user to get the additional 5,000 UR points, but I don't want to compromise her chances of getting her own account (and the 50,000 sign up points with it) later this year. Will she still be able to get her own CSP after she has a second card from my account?
I've added an entry to the wiki on this question.
Old May 9, 2016, 1:32 pm

I told a newbie friend of mine about the Sapphire card and he went and got approved for two for himself. I've never heard of getting approved for 2 Sapphire cards. He didn't know what he was doing and said he applied, got approved, and then applied again two minutes later and got approved again. Has anyone ever heard of this? I'm not even sure he'll got the bonus points on the 2nd card since the terms state you can only get the bonus once every 24 months.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:29 am

Can someone explain chase sapphire rewards popularity? - Why favored travel card

I've looked into the chase sapphire card several times and have seen many articles saying its travelers preferred card, but I just don't really understand its advantages over other cards like amex platinum or citi prestige?
I think its because its unclear how the awards points can be used.

Could someone explain how there is more value to these points than other cards? Do people just transfer points to various airlines or is it some method to book discounts via chase themselves?

Thanks
Old May 18, 2016, 10:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by babern38
... Do people just transfer points to various airlines or is it some method to book discounts via chase themselves?
While it is possible to use points to buy revenue tickets, the highest monetary value can be obtained if you transfer to airlines or Hyatt -and- redeem for high priced flights or stays. The same is true of American Express Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou Rewards, Diners Club Rewards, or Starwood Preferred Guest.

The choice largely depends on how well the transfer partners match your travel patterns. Chase has two valuable partners: United Airlines and Hyatt Hotels. United is valuable not so much because of the airline, but because they belong to the largest international alliance -and- they do not collect fuel surcharges on award redemptions.

Chase also issues business cards which earn 5 points per dollar in categories which can generate large numbers of points.

Each program has strengths and flaws. You should evaluate them based on your criteria, not the unspecified assumptions made by others. If you are primarily interested in domestic economy class travel start by looking at a straight 2% cash back card, and see if any of these programs provide sufficient incremental value to be worth the effort.
Old May 18, 2016, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by mia
Chase also issues business cards which earn 5 points per dollar in categories which can generate large numbers of points.

Each program has strengths and flaws. You should evaluate them based on your criteria, not the unspecified assumptions made by others. If you are primarily interested in domestic economy class travel start by looking at a straight 2% cash back card, and see if any of these programs provide sufficient incremental value to be worth the effort.
Ink Plus business card+ CSP + freedeom +freedon unlimited all earn the same rewards. Its a pretty strong set that covers a wide variety. Im not sure what other dual/trio/quad set of cards that does that.

CSP also has one of the best car insurance coverage and cancelled or delayed trip policies.
Old May 18, 2016, 11:24 am

..but I just don't really understand its advantages over other cards like amex platinum or citi prestige?
One consideration is the annual fee. Keep in mind the CSP is free the first year, then $95 annually. Whereas the Amex Plat and Citi Prestige are both $450 annually (fee not waived first year)...although the net cost can be reduced to ~$200 or less via airline incidental credits, Global Entry reimbursement, the other benefits such as lounge access may not be worth the annual fee difference.
Old May 18, 2016, 12:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Troopers
...CSP is free the first year, then $95 annually. Whereas the Amex Plat and Citi Prestige are both $450 annually...
The more appropriate comparisons would be these four cards:

• Sapphire Preferred
  • Citi Premier
  • American Express Premier Rewards Gold
  • American Express Everyday Preferred
Old May 18, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by mia
The more appropriate comparisons would be these four cards:

• Sapphire Preferred
  • Citi Premier
  • American Express Premier Rewards Gold
  • American Express Everyday Preferred
They also have cards that go with them. Chase INK and Freedom both have 5X points on certain purchases. You don't lose the points if you close a card.
The Premier had the Forward with 5X on restaurants but that going away in less than 30 days so it has lost a lot. You use or lose points in 90 days if you close a card.
I'm not up to date with Amex

So for me it's the card and the other cards that go with them.
Old May 20, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
I've looked into the chase sapphire card several times and have seen many articles saying its travelers preferred card, but I just don't really understand its advantages over other cards like amex platinum or citi prestige?

Could someone explain how there is more value to these points than other cards? Do people just transfer points to various airlines or is it some method to book discounts via chase themselves?

Thanks
IMO the Chase Sapphire isn't really that valuable by itself. You can earn many more points by using the Chase Freedom for the bonus catagories and Chase Freedom Unlimited for your everyday spend. But having the Chase Sapphire will allow you to transfer those points directly to travel partners. This is especially true if you have the Southwest Companion Pass. Also, the 50,000 sign up bonus and waved annual fee for the first year help.
Old May 20, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It does not. In fact, bloggers who wrote those articles also have either AMEX Platinum or Citi Prestige or both.

Nothing new - either book with points or transfer to partners.

Could someone explain how there is more value to these points than other cards?
The value are relative, not absolute. Regardless how the value is represented, the bottom line is you won't know the true value until you use the points.

Do people just transfer points to various airlines or is it some method to book discounts via chase themselves?
There is no secret method.
Old May 20, 2016, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
CSP is also really simple in its scheme which makes it ideal for normal people (read non-FTers).

It's what I recommended to my parents who don't have the time or interest to figure out what card to pull out depending on what store or month or day of the week it is.

And apart from SPG it's IMO the most valuable flexible points currency (it's covering their flights home from a trip we are taking to London this summer via UA).
Old May 20, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by Duke787
It's what I recommended to my parents who don't have the time or interest to figure out what card to pull out depending on what store or month or day of the week it is.
I put stickers on my wife's cards but I still have to limit number of cards to 3 at most...

I sometimes use wallaby app to ensure I get the most. for dining, I check airline dining to see whether I can get airline miles too.
Old May 21, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mingw
I put stickers on my wife's cards but I still have to limit number of cards to 3 at most...

I sometimes use wallaby app to ensure I get the most. for dining, I check airline dining to see whether I can get airline miles too.
Ha! Well played. The good news is that my girlfriend has slowly picked up the benefits - she stopped using her debit card to pay for things and started using the Citi AA card she's had for like 5 years.

Plus she readily acknowledges the need to get a couple new cards so CSP and SPG AMEX are at the top of the list (with the benefit of referral bonuses for me and new spend bonuses for her).
Old May 21, 2016, 10:44 am

As always you need to run the numbers and do research. If you have no use for the transfer partners (or you won't be redeeming for high priced international flights) you would probably be better off with cash back. CSP/UR points are popular for premium international flights because you end up getting them for far less than they would actually cost -- but that only matters if you would be going to those destinations anyway. If not, kind of a wash.
Old May 22, 2016, 1:54 pm

I have had a British Airways Visa for 5 months and I should hit the $30,000 in a couple of months so everything is fine there.

I would now like to get a card that will let me use the miles on a variety of airlines. My first choice is one of the Chase cards such as the Sapphire Preferred where I can transfer miles to BA or Iberia Avios.

From what I have read it is likely that an application for a Sapphire Preferred will not be approved due to my relatively recent acquisition of the BA Visa. Am I correct on this?

The BA Visa is the only card I have acquired in the last 24 months.

Any help would be appreciated. I would like to crank up my mileage balance so I can go wild with the companion ticket when I get it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.