Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
I think Chase has priced Sapphire Preferred too low versus American Express Premier Rewards Gold and Citi Premier.
American Express Premier Gold and Citi Premier are priced too high.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by FrenchCaliFlyer
Is chase going to send the chip version to existing CSP ?
Call the number on the back of your card and ask for an EMV-equipped CSP. They will send one to you free of charge. If you have a CSP MC you will need to convert it to a CSP Visa first though.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:32 am

I previously had Chase BA, Continental and United. I closed United and Continental earlier this year and I only have BA. In June and July I was approved for Ink Plus SW personal and SW Biz and for Marriott in August. Yesterday I was approved for CSP (after calling recon line, but they only verified my identity) and I also applied for Ink Bold card yesterday. Called the recon line, rep explained me that I alwas already approved for SW biz and Ink Plus Biz cards earlier this year (total chase 5 cards) and other cards with companies. He said I was approved for a total of 13 cards this year and it was real concern for them that I opened so many cards and there is not much spending/history on the new cards. I came out honest that I use the bonus points for travel and stays and business cards very helpful. Besides min. spending for bonus, I do not have any major spending on all 4 chase cards I was approved this yr. I don't use them other than the reason to keep them active.
My question:
How long should I wait for another Chase app?
I don't plan to use these new chase cards at all, so they will not have any history of spending for next 1 year. Should I rather close them now and open the credit line in 6 months?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FrenchCaliFlyer
Is chase going to send the chip version to existing CSP ?
See this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...31-2013-a.html
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:37 pm

Chase really needs to update the refer-a-friend referral links to reflect the new offer with 5k for the authorized user. My referral link is still reflecting the old 40k offer.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by kdoughboy
Chase really needs to update the refer-a-friend referral links to reflect the new offer with 5k for the authorized user. My referral link is still reflecting the old 40k offer.
I doubt that's accidental. The card issuers often tie referral bonuses to less-advantageous signup offers.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
I doubt that's accidental. The card issuers often tie referral bonuses to less-advantageous signup offers.
The referral offer matched the best/standard public offer available before it was changed this week.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:12 pm

I applied for the 40k offer with $2k spend only last Sunday.

I haven't yet received the card.

I called Chase to ask me to switch to the 50k offer, but they refused. They told me that I could do an account rejection of the old card, and then re-apply for the 50k card.

Any ideas if this will work, and if it's worth it?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I just called Chase and the rep told me that he could not apply either the 50,000 point offer or the 5,000 point offer for adding an authorized user. All I really want at this point is the extra 5,000 points for the AU. Has anyone had any success with that today?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by ryanmcv
I just called Chase and the rep told me that he could not apply either the 50,000 point offer or the 5,000 point offer for adding an authorized user. All I really want at this point is the extra 5,000 points for the AU. Has anyone had any success with that today?
I got the 5,000 points for AU added to my account yesterday. Should've asked for them to match the current offer, but not going to push my luck
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891

I got the 5,000 points for AU added to my account yesterday. Should've asked for them to match the current offer, but not going to push my luck
How long have you had your card?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by ryanmcv
I applied on Monday for my CSP and did not see the new offers for 50k and 5k for AU. I had applied using the 40k for $2k spend link. I SMed and was able to get the 5k AU Bonus which was applied to my account today. I was told that i'm not eligible for the 50k spend bonus because my card has the lower annual fee.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by himavant
I applied for the 40k offer with $2k spend only last Sunday.

I haven't yet received the card.

I called Chase to ask me to switch to the 50k offer, but they refused. They told me that I could do an account rejection of the old card, and then re-apply for the 50k card.

Any ideas if this will work, and if it's worth it?
UPDATE!

I called 3 different reps. The first two reps said no-go on the 40k -> 50k offer.

The third rep was the charm and she said I should get a letter about it if it goes through! Fingers crossed!
Old Nov 22, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
Originally Posted by himavant
UPDATE!

I called 3 different reps. The first two reps said no-go on the 40k -> 50k offer.

The third rep was the charm and she said I should get a letter about it if it goes through! Fingers crossed!
well this is interesting, but I mean tons of people have heard no, no, no, only a 5k AU bonus if you have the $95 AF on the CSP.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
This offer is the one at Chase.com now. I wonder if this is the new main offer.

If that is the truth, then the people who got the 40k offer with the $95 fee may have gotten the deal. If the card with the $125 fee is indeed a new product, then you can get your 40k bonus and then apply for and get the 50k bonus in the future. Double dipping.

There is at least one or maybe more people on this board that have gotten a CSP Visa in the past, and got this card as a new product. I hope they follow up and post about whether they got the bonus or not.

With Chase, it does not necessarily matter what a customer service rep promises. They have a history of issuing the new card with the rep confirming the bonus for a current/former cardholder of the same brand card when it is approved, and then Chase corporate refusing to honor the bonus offer later when the spending requirement is achieved.

My $0.02.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.