Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by SchoolyardBully8
exactly thing happened to me, i called the Rep and they had the audacity to tell me that my hotel credit benefit will online be available AFTER the second annual fee. I opened my CSP pre Aug 2021, and the $50 hotel credit was showing it will be available on Aug 2022 after the first anniversary. Now it's gone and i can't prove that it was there...
Well, SO's card had it last year...the card was open in August '21 and we used it in September '21 no problem. But it's now after the first anniversary, so it should be there again, but no where to be seen. I got my card this past May, nothing there either.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
My 1st anniversary was last month.. When I open my card acct & click "Redeem" UR and then click on "Your Dashboard" I see my $50 hotel credit about halfway down the page under:

All-new benefits to help inspire you

Old Aug 29, 2022, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by fredc84
Well, SO's card had it last year...the card was open in August '21 and we used it in September '21 no problem. But it's now after the first anniversary, so it should be there again, but no where to be seen. I got my card this past May, nothing there either.
Got the card July ‘21; annual fee was charged and paid early this month. Just checked the account, the credit is NOT there either.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by philemer
My 1st anniversary was last month.. When I open my card acct & click "Redeem" UR and then click on "Your Dashboard" I see my $50 hotel credit about halfway down the page under:

All-new benefits to help inspire you

Yea, I see that. But when I click on 'Learn more' it takes me to the page that lists the card benefits. Under "Chase Sapphire Preferred® Benefits" it used to be listed there but it is no longer. Even after I had used it, it was listed there with something like "$50 of $50 benefit used" or some such.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Illinwu
Got the card July ‘21; annual fee was charged and paid early this month. Just checked the account, the credit is NOT there either.
We had no problem with this last year on a brand new card using it one month after receiving the card. As philemer pointed out, it IS listed on one page, but just not under benefits when you dig down into it. Maybe it's just a website glitch...I hope.
Illinwu likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:19 pm

We had no problem with this last year on a brand new card using it one month after receiving the card. As philemer pointed out, it IS listed on one page, but just not under benefits when you dig down into it. Maybe it's just a website glitch...I hope.
Thank you. I tried with Chrome too, the attached was the only thing shown (there is no meter nor is listed as one of the Benefis when clicking the “Learn more” button. )
fredc84 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 11:36 pm

I'm another who doesn't see any evidence that I can have a $50 credit available. Got the CSP June 2021, so when this new benefit arrived in August, I know I wasn't meant to have it until after my first anniversary, which was June 2022. Still nothing showing in my account.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by klew97
I'm another who doesn't see any evidence that I can have a $50 credit available. Got the CSP June 2021, so when this new benefit arrived in August, I know I wasn't meant to have it until after my first anniversary, which was June 2022. Still nothing showing in my account.
The only people who didn't get the $50 benefit after it was added last year were those who's fee was due prior to Aug 16th, 2021. SO got the card Aug 17, '21 and we used the benefit in Sep '21, so a month later within a month (the $50 was credited on Aug 31, '21). I've read that you get it once you pay the annual fee on the anniversary.
The issue I've highlighted though, isn't NOT getting the benefit, but that there is no way to see it on the Chase site. Last year it was shown under the benefits and even tracked how much was used. Now, it doesn't do that any more. Until recently, even the benefit was listed just showing it had been used already...now that is gone.
Illinwu likes this.

Last edited by fredc84; Sep 5, 2022 at 10:05 am
Old Sep 7, 2022, 4:23 pm
Original Member

Sorry, can someone point me to a link on how the Annual $50 Hotel credit works and what hotels you have used it on....Many thanks.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by sggolf
Sorry, can someone point me to a link on how the Annual $50 Hotel credit works and what hotels you have used it on....Many thanks.
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/chase...-hotel-credit/

I used it last year on a hotel in Braga, Portugal. I don't remember the specific name.
sggolf likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yea, I see that. But when I click on 'Learn more' it takes me to the page that lists the card benefits. Under "Chase Sapphire Preferred® Benefits" it used to be listed there but it is no longer. Even after I had used it, it was listed there with something like "$50 of $50 benefit used" or some such.
Is your main concern that you may not get the benefit since it seems to be hidden?
Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Is your main concern that you may not get the benefit since it seems to be hidden?
Pretty much, yes...since the last time I used it it wasn't hidden. This is new behavior that I hope isn't a bad sign. However, I just booked through Chase again, so I'll know soon if it worked or not.

Also, we happen to take our annual vacations about the same time that the credit should recycle...it'd be nice to know it actually had prior to trying to use it.

Last edited by fredc84; Sep 7, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Old Oct 11, 2022, 11:57 am

Pretty much, yes...since the last time I used it it wasn't hidden. This is new behavior that I hope isn't a bad sign. However, I just booked through Chase again, so I'll know soon if it worked or not.

Also, we happen to take our annual vacations about the same time that the credit should recycle...it'd be nice to know it actually had prior to trying to use it.
For an update, we just got back from Europe last week and I used SO's Saph Pref to book a room (that we ended up cancelling later) and the $50 credit DID show up. In fact, it is still there even with the cancellation (I am assuming they'll claw it back at some point). Still doesn't show up as a benefit nor is the tracker that was there last year when we used it on my card.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Any thoughts on when/if the 80k sign-up offer for the CSP will come back?

The best I've found so far is 70k for signing up in-branch. I asked about a first-year annual fee waiver, and was told that was no longer available.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boat stuck
Any thoughts on when/if the 80k sign-up offer for the CSP will come back?

The best I've found so far is 70k for signing up in-branch. I asked about a first-year annual fee waiver, and was told that was no longer available.
No one can answer this question. Take the 70K and run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.