Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Old Jul 16, 2021, 12:42 am
kyh

Originally Posted by neuro0
My spouse applied after checking she had already PC changed her sapphire card a while ago. Her chase app said she is already preappoved. Used a referral link to apply and got the following message

We need to review your request a little longer. We will let you know of our decision as soon as possible.

I thought she will be instantly approved given she has preappoved message under her chase login.
How many days ago did your spouse PC the sapphire card? Did you give Chase a call to follow-up on her status?
Please kindly report back what the issue was with the additional review required.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by kyh
How many days ago did your spouse PC the sapphire card? Did you give Chase a call to follow-up on her status?
Please kindly report back what the issue was with the additional review required.
PC was long time ago, at least a year.

Will update once I found out more
Old Jul 16, 2021, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by neuro0
PC was long time ago, at least a year.

Will update once I found out more
You can't have any Sapphire card open currently (CS/CSP/CSR) + must be 48mo since last Sapphire bonus payout + must be under 5/24

If CSP to CS was done a year ago then it doesn't matter since she still has the CS currently -- she would have to change the CS to a Freedom and wait 4-5 days to no longer have a Sapphire card
Old Jul 16, 2021, 8:49 am

How quickly after a CSR is downgraded to a CFU can the CSP app commence? Is there a lag time that the system no longer reads me holding a Sapphire card?
Old Jul 16, 2021, 9:24 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cab747
How quickly after a CSR is downgraded to a CFU can the CSP app commence?
4 days.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by mia
4 days.
Thanks. With the 100k offer supposedly ending tomorrow, looks like it it wont work for me this pass. My CSR is paid up through 10/2021 and got it 10/2016.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 9:31 am

How quickly after a CSR is downgraded to a CFU can the CSP app commence? Is there a lag time that the system no longer reads me holding a Sapphire card?
I waited 4 Business days and it worked.

It may actually be 4 Calendar days and I waited 2 days longer than necessary out of caution.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 9:36 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Thanks. With the 100k offer supposedly ending tomorrow,...
Referral Offers tend to lag (in both directions). You could look for a referral offer here, and see if it is still showing 100,000 after four days:

Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first)
Old Jul 16, 2021, 9:55 am

I asked Chase via phone if they had any info on the end date knowing in the back of my mind that the 7/17 date was floating around online. They said their info was updated on July 14, and says ongoing offer, with no date mentioned. Of course it could end tomorrow, but who knows.

I asked in a branch yesterday and they only had an 80k offer available and knew nothing of a 100k offer, so that wasnt any help either.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4 business days are thought to be the good guidepost. A friend just did that - downgraded last Fri, applied CSP this Thurs, instant approval.
elsenor likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA DL
Originally Posted by Chris58
I waited 4 Business days and it worked.

It may actually be 4 Calendar days and I waited 2 days longer than necessary out of caution.
Not realizing it might be business days, I downgraded a CSR on a Saturday, and applied for a CSP the following Wednesday. Received instant approval.
elsenor likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 2:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Just applied for my wife with me as an authorized user since I already have the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card. She was instantly approved and I plan on canceling my card when it comes up for renewal in February and combine the points. I will use the Pay Yourself Back feature to use up points in the interim. I needed primary rental car coverage which the preferred card offers. The one thing I will not have is the priority pass which I use maybe 2x per year and if I find myself traveling a lot next year will look into other credit cards that offer the perk.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 6:33 am

Waiting

Father downgraded to Freedom on 7/11. Applied 7/18. Got the under consideration comment. Had him call in and they didn't provide any info. He's well under 5/24 and doesn't have many chase cards. 800 credit score. Wondering if she should call again to see what's up. All he got was "you'll find out in 30 days"
Old Jul 20, 2021, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by Cruscrnshw
Father downgraded to Freedom on 7/11. Applied 7/18. Got the under consideration comment. Had him call in and they didn't provide any info. He's well under 5/24 and doesn't have many chase cards. 800 credit score. Wondering if she should call again to see what's up. All he got was "you'll find out in 30 days"
Wouldn't hurt to have He/She call the reconsideration line to ask and potentially speed-up the approval process.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 7:31 am

Okay we are 100% sure that it is 4 days after downgrading CSR to get CSP sign-up bonus, right? I just downgraded my CSR on the phone and they told me explicitly when I downgraded it (without me even asking) that I would be eligible for the CSP sign-up bonus after 30 days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.