Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred: Travel Delay Protection

Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Since we have two threads that both address travel delay & cancellation issues we have decided to close this thread and all future discussion will be in this thread

For an overview of when you're covered and how to file a claim, read this blog post. I compiled a lot of information from this thread, so thank you to all the contributors!

Trip Delay Reimbursement Claim Reports: Post details of your claim under your eligible card. Include the date, reason for delay, length of delay, a general overview of expenses, and anything else you found interesting.

Chase Sapphire Preferred
*01/2014 - Delayed in MSP overnight due to mechanical issues. ~$300 for Hotel Ivy downtown, meals, and ground transportation covered with no issues. Benefits applied to AMEX FHR. Claim processed within 1 week. [Full Report]

*04/2014 - Delayed in DTW overnight due to crew member time-out. ~$400 for DTW Westin and meals covered with no issues. Claim processed within 1 week. Full Report

*07/2016 - Delayed in YYC overnight due to mechanical problems. Claim paid out ~$300. Full report.

Chase Sapphire

United MileagePlus Explorer (personal and business)
*07/2014- Delayed in MSP overnight due to weather at destination. Booked Marriott Mall of America for $120, and meals for 3 and a shirt were all covered. I recommend keeping your current BP for the canceled or delayed flight instead of throwing them away. Makes life a bit easier.

*12/2014 - Trip delay in Washington D.C. (My US Airways flight was delayed because of an equipment problem so I missed my connecting flight and was forced to stay overnight). I was flying on air miles but smartly used my Chase United Explorer Visa to pay the taxes and fees for our flights. Since there were 2 of us (me and my wife) we were eligible up to $1000 total in reimbursements for the 2 tickets. Approved for $632 for a for a 1 night room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Sent in the paperwork immediately after I got back via email and within 2 weeks I got the approval email and a week later got the check! Gratuity was not reimbursed and could not convince them to after a phone call. Hotel Was $380 after tax and this was not a problem.

United MileagePlus Club (personal and business)

Any Ink Business Card (Plus, Bold, Cash)

* 1/2017 - $625 covered on two tickets (myself & family member non-business trip). I used my Ink Plus card to pay taxes on a JetBlue flight that missed a connection due to mechanical maintenance.
Got paid out $625

Used Chase Ink Plus to pay for taxes on my JetBlue award ticket. Traveling with a family member (non-biz related trip).

-$65 from Walgreens (various items)
- 3 Uber rides (to/from hotel, to home)
- Hotel (~$265 after tax) breakfast was included with my hotel status
- $180 meal

They ended up covering tax, tip, and alcohol on my meal. Missed connection was in FLL, we decided to go have a 24 hour holiday in Miami.

Marriot Premier Rewards

Chase Hyatt
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

The answer to your question is yes, both trip cancellation and trip delay benefits apply to award tickets.

For trip delay benefits to kick-in, you need to charge the taxes and fees of an award ticket to an eligible card. You can learn more about this benefit by following this thread.

For trip cancellation benefits, Chase will reimburse you for rewards used equal to the "monetary value of the redemption." If the itinerary or receipt doesn't make it immediately clear what the redemption value was, Chase will reimburse you "($.01) per point redeem up to the Insured Person's Benefit Amount" which is $5,000.

This information is from my benefits booklet, and you should make sure you can find similar clauses in yours.

Hope that helps!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:05 pm

Excellent info SanSerif. Read your blog post, very clear and well written.
Thanks a lot!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SansSerif
The answer to your question is yes, both trip cancellation and trip delay benefits apply to award tickets.

For trip delay benefits to kick-in, you need to charge the taxes and fees of an award ticket to an eligible card. You can learn more about this benefit by following this thread.

For trip cancellation benefits, Chase will reimburse you for rewards used equal to the "monetary value of the redemption." If the itinerary or receipt doesn't make it immediately clear what the redemption value was, Chase will reimburse you "($.01) per point redeem up to the Insured Person's Benefit Amount" which is $5,000.

This information is from my benefits booklet, and you should make sure you can find similar clauses in yours.

Hope that helps!

Does this apply if I used Chase UR points to book the flight? Do I still need to put some of it onto the card to get travel delay reimbursement?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chewable
Does this apply if I used Chase UR points to book the flight? Do I still need to put some of it onto the card to get travel delay reimbursement?
I've never booked anything with UR points. But would you have to pay for the "taxes and fees" separately? If so, put those on your card and you're covered.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: Delta BA IHG UAL

Wife flight was free award but taxes/ fees were paid with Sapphire. Can she get the $500 limit claim as flight returned due to smoke and require overnight hotel stay.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by astig19
Wife flight was free award but taxes/ fees were paid with Sapphire. Can she get the $500 limit claim as flight returned due to smoke and require overnight hotel stay.
Assuming its a round trip, yes.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by agp423
My guess is that this benefit does not cover award tickets. I would be great if someone can confirm with personal experience though.
Quite a few personal experiences posted upthread. Pay for the taxes/fees on your eligible Chase card and it should make it an eligible trip according to previous experiences.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Just got approved for $632 for a trip delay in Washington D.C. (My US Airways flight was delayed because of an equipment problem so I missed my connecting flight and was forced to stay overnight).

I was flying on air miles but smartly used my Chase United Explorer Visa to pay the taxes and fees for our flights. Since there were 2 of us (me and my wife) we were eligible up to $1000 total in reimbursements for the 2 tickets.

The $632 was for a 1 night room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Sent in the paperwork immediately after I got back via email (quicker than mail) and within 2 weeks I got the approval email!

Hoping to get the check in the mail soon! We did not get $30 in gratuity reimbursed but we might try calling Chase and seeing if they will cover it like someone previously mentioned they did. Either way $30 for this nice layover isn't bad! Our hotel was $319 + tax coming to $380, way more than I would ever pay personally. It wasn't anything fancy, just a 3 star Hampton Inn but it was located near the White House so that explains the rate...

Love this benefit!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by knowledgeispower
Just got approved for $632 for a trip delay in Washington D.C. (My US Airways flight was delayed because of an equipment problem so I missed my connecting flight and was forced to stay overnight).

I was flying on air miles but smartly used my Chase United Explorer Visa to pay the taxes and fees for our flights. Since there were 2 of us (me and my wife) we were eligible up to $1000 total in reimbursements for the 2 tickets.

The $632 was for a 1 night room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Sent in the paperwork immediately after I got back via email (quicker than mail) and within 2 weeks I got the approval email!

Hoping to get the check in the mail soon! We did not get $30 in gratuity reimbursed but we might try calling Chase and seeing if they will cover it like someone previously mentioned they did. Either way $30 for this nice layover isn't bad! Our hotel was $319 + tax coming to $380, way more than I would ever pay personally. It wasn't anything fancy, just a 3 star Hampton Inn but it was located near the White House so that explains the rate...

Love this benefit!
That's really great to hear! And yes, plesae do keep us updated on whether they'll cover gratuity. We've heard mixed reports on coverage for tips and alcohol.

In my experience, one way to avoid both these possible exclusions is to bill all your charges to your room, assuming you are dining in a hotel restaurant.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:37 am

Just called Chase United CardBenefit Services and unfortunately they would not reimburse the tips as this was their policy. I didn't really try arguing further as the person on the call didn't seem willing to budge on that.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Chase Hyatt - https://www.chase.com/credit-cards/h...vel-protection $500
Old Dec 26, 2014, 8:24 pm

I put my whole efcollegebreak.com tour on my CSP and my business round-trip award ticket fees on my united mileage card. Is it safe to say I'm covered by both cards in terms of travel delays/cancellation etc?
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by winsteven13
I put my whole efcollegebreak.com tour on my CSP and my business round-trip award ticket fees on my united mileage card. Is it safe to say I'm covered by both cards in terms of travel delays/cancellation etc?
You should be, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't. Award travel is covered as long as you charge the taxes and fees to the card (as you have).
Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

So does that mean you didn't pay for the airfare yourself (i.e. opting to pay a tour operator instead)?

If so, I'm not sure. the T&C's specifically state you need to charge a portion of your fare to a Common Carrier which is defined somewhere in the benefits agreement, but most likely along the lines of an airline, Amtrak, cruise line, etc.

I'll double check the agreement when I can read it again, but my instinct tells me you will not be covered. In the meantime, you can always call-in.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:57 am
Original Poster

I've re-read the section in my benefits booklet, and the terms are really murky surrounding your situation. If your tour operator itemized charges for your flight, you might be covered. If not, you probably won't.

Best thing to do is call in and ask.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.