Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred: Travel Delay Protection

Chase Sapphire Preferred: Travel Delay Protection

Hide Wikipost
Old May 17, 17, 11:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: philemer
Wiki Link
Since we have two threads that both address travel delay & cancellation issues we have decided to close this thread and all future discussion will be in this thread

For an overview of when you're covered and how to file a claim, read this blog post. I compiled a lot of information from this thread, so thank you to all the contributors!

Trip Delay Reimbursement Claim Reports: Post details of your claim under your eligible card. Include the date, reason for delay, length of delay, a general overview of expenses, and anything else you found interesting.

Chase Sapphire Preferred
*01/2014 - Delayed in MSP overnight due to mechanical issues. ~$300 for Hotel Ivy downtown, meals, and ground transportation covered with no issues. Benefits applied to AMEX FHR. Claim processed within 1 week. [Full Report]

*04/2014 - Delayed in DTW overnight due to crew member time-out. ~$400 for DTW Westin and meals covered with no issues. Claim processed within 1 week. Full Report

*07/2016 - Delayed in YYC overnight due to mechanical problems. Claim paid out ~$300. Full report.

Chase Sapphire

United MileagePlus Explorer (personal and business)
*07/2014- Delayed in MSP overnight due to weather at destination. Booked Marriott Mall of America for $120, and meals for 3 and a shirt were all covered. I recommend keeping your current BP for the canceled or delayed flight instead of throwing them away. Makes life a bit easier.

*12/2014 - Trip delay in Washington D.C. (My US Airways flight was delayed because of an equipment problem so I missed my connecting flight and was forced to stay overnight). I was flying on air miles but smartly used my Chase United Explorer Visa to pay the taxes and fees for our flights. Since there were 2 of us (me and my wife) we were eligible up to $1000 total in reimbursements for the 2 tickets. Approved for $632 for a for a 1 night room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Sent in the paperwork immediately after I got back via email and within 2 weeks I got the approval email and a week later got the check! Gratuity was not reimbursed and could not convince them to after a phone call. Hotel Was $380 after tax and this was not a problem.

United MileagePlus Club (personal and business)

Any Ink Business Card (Plus, Bold, Cash)

* 1/2017 - $625 covered on two tickets (myself & family member non-business trip). I used my Ink Plus card to pay taxes on a JetBlue flight that missed a connection due to mechanical maintenance.
Got paid out $625

Used Chase Ink Plus to pay for taxes on my JetBlue award ticket. Traveling with a family member (non-biz related trip).

-$65 from Walgreens (various items)
- 3 Uber rides (to/from hotel, to home)
- Hotel (~$265 after tax) breakfast was included with my hotel status
- $180 meal

They ended up covering tax, tip, and alcohol on my meal. Missed connection was in FLL, we decided to go have a 24 hour holiday in Miami.

Marriot Premier Rewards

Chase Hyatt
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Dec 31, 14, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by SansSerif View Post
I've re-read the section in my benefits booklet, and the terms are really murky surrounding your situation. If your tour operator itemized charges for your flight, you might be covered. If not, you probably won't.

Best thing to do is call in and ask.
I purchased a land-only package for the tour (no flight). I did however, book my own United award flight and paid the taxes on the my United Mileageplus card. So I'm assuming I'm covered for the tour itself on my CSP (they are charging $125 travel protection through the tour agency itself, I declined). And I'm covered for my flight through my United card?
Old Jan 1, 15, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by winsteven13 View Post
I purchased a land-only package for the tour (no flight). I did however, book my own United award flight and paid the taxes on the my United Mileageplus card. So I'm assuming I'm covered for the tour itself on my CSP (they are charging $125 travel protection through the tour agency itself, I declined). And I'm covered for my flight through my United card?
For the flight, yes, you should be.

Though I'm not sure a "tour" would qualify as a Common Carrier. It might, but you should call customer service to be sure.
Old Jan 11, 15, 9:21 pm

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
I'm in an overnight delay. A friend was going to pick me up from the airport, but the new time is in the middle of a work day so I need to take a taxi home ($70), which I would not do normally. Do you think it's reasonable to ask for reimbursement?
Old Jan 12, 15, 8:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by italdesign View Post
I'm in an overnight delay. A friend was going to pick me up from the airport, but the new time is in the middle of a work day so I need to take a taxi home ($70), which I would not do normally. Do you think it's reasonable to ask for reimbursement?
Same thing happened to me and I added it with no problem and got reimbursed. Then again I am not sure if the receipt mentioned where the location was. You could always argue it if it doesn't get reimbursed?
Old Jan 17, 15, 10:06 am

Programs: Former DL PM, AS MVP
Luggage delay

Not sure if this is the correct thread or not, so apologies if incorrect.

From recent experience with a SW award flight where the taxes were paid with my CSP, I had no trouble getting reimbursed $100 for an overnight luggage delay (in my case, the receipts were for my wife's hair care products that were in the delayed bag)
Old Jan 19, 15, 12:06 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Question regarding trip cancelation

In the Benefits Guide, page 13, I see following wording:

What is not covered by Trip Cancellation insurance?
It does not apply to a Covered Loss caused directly or indirectly from:
travel arrangements canceled or changed by a Common Carrier, Tour
Operator, or any Travel Agency unless the cancellation is the result of
severe weather or an organized strike affecting public transportation
Now let's imagine the following case - I and my wife are going to attend a wedding, booked non-refundable airfare. Three days before departure airline sends notification that scheduled flight is canceled, instead of the direct flight they offer flight with a connection on the same or next day. The same day flight arrives 8 hours later at 1AM in the airport where we are stranded.

Airline says that we have to take changed flight with the connection or get lost - they are not going to give any refund if we refuse. So we have no other option except to go and book a flight on another airline.

So we are totally out of pocket $400 (original flight cost), plus $700 (new flight cost one day in advance) and $120 for a hotel arrangement.

Question: if I read the wording above correctly, does this mean that I am not covered for this trip interruption/change because the airline warned me in advance? Do I understand this correctly?

P.S. For those who would ask where an airline can cancel flight and don't give you back anything - situation is happening in South-East Asia with budget airlines.
Old Jan 25, 15, 8:45 am

Does anybody know if I transfered UR points from my sapphire to BA and then booked the flight with BA and put all the taxes on the Chase Sapphire would I be eligible for the trip delay protection? Can't get a straight answer
Old Jan 25, 15, 10:37 am

Programs: AGR S+, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
So missed Amtrak connection will count? All they mentioned is about "airfare". With the way the empire builder is reacting, a lot of connection will be messed up in CHI when traveling to the east coast
Old Jan 25, 15, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neutralist View Post
So missed Amtrak connection will count? All they mentioned is about "airfare". With the way the empire builder is reacting, a lot of connection will be messed up in CHI when traveling to the east coast
The term they use is Common Carrier, which includes Amtrak. It doesn't apply to cancellations made known to you before you start the first leg of your trip.
Old Jan 26, 15, 11:50 am

I have a trip later this week that I booked using UR points thru my CSP... If/when the flight gets cancelled due to Juno, I'm assuming I will get the points back no problem... I had a free spot to stay where I was going, so I'm not out any hotel cash. I have dinner reservations which I had to pay $100 non-refundable. Would this fall under the reimbursement rules? Am I entitled to anything else...
Old Jan 27, 15, 1:11 pm

Programs: Former DL PM, AS MVP
Originally Posted by pacys95 View Post
Does anybody know if I transfered UR points from my sapphire to BA and then booked the flight with BA and put all the taxes on the Chase Sapphire would I be eligible for the trip delay protection? Can't get a straight answer
I can't say for certain with BA, but I did something very similar (transferred UR points to WN and booked a flight with WN points and paid the tax with the CSP) and had no trouble getting my trip delay reimbursement approved. I just sent them the line item on my statement that represented the flight. I don't think they care how much the charge is.
Old Feb 1, 15, 11:08 pm

My Return leg got cancelled from the Caribbean due to inclement weather on United. An overnight stay will for sure be required. Would chase also reimburse costs for a flight bought on a different airline if United is not able to reschedule something sooner? (The next United flight is 4 days from now).
Old Feb 4, 15, 10:37 am

Hey guys,

I just bought two tickets for my parents with my CSP card and then this hit me. Does CSP cover the trip if I'm not flying with them? If not, would it help if I add one of them as an authorized user?

Thanks!

Last edited by meerkatani; Feb 4, 15 at 10:58 am
Old Feb 4, 15, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA*G, HH Dia, MR Platinum, IHG Amb/Plat, Hyatt Exp
CSP Trip Cancellation Coverage - Does it Cover Trip Postponement Fees?

My mother and I were required to postpone our trip by two weeks because my wife is being admitted to hospital for emergency cancer surgery (not a pre-existing condition). The tickets were adjusted, incurring change fees and repricing at the new fare. Since they're non-refundable, it wouldn't have made sense to cancel them, and further fees would have been incurred to redeposit award miles used for upgrades. So we're not seeking the entire cost of the tickets from Chase's claims administrator - just added charges. Any problem getting the administrator to pay for those charges under the trip cancellation coverage? The below request for information presumes outright cancellation. Any issues?

Please accept this letter as confirmation that we received your claim involving a trip cancellation or trip interruption/delay. Please keep a copy of this letter for your records and use the claim number listed above when referencing your claim.

Crawford & Company Inc. services the claims for bankcard benefits insured by Chubb.

In order to promptly process your request, please complete all fields on the enclosed claim form and forward the following documents to us as soon as available:

a. Confirmation of the non-refundable amounts for the unused Common Carrier tickets, and/or travel vouchers;

b. Confirmation that the tickets were cancelled with the Common Carrier;

c. Copy of the travel itinerary showing the passenger names and ticket cost;

d. Confirmation of the reason for the trip cancellation; (Physician statement confirming medical reason or confirmation of death of immediate family member)

e. Please complete and return the Trip Cancellation claim form;

f. A copy of the cancellation or refund polices of the Common Carrier, Tour Operator, or Travel Supplier;

g. Please provide us with a copy of your credit card statement, which shows that the purchase of the Common Carrier ticket was charged to your credit card (To include confirmation of the first six digits of your credit card number for verification of coverage. However, for security purposes we suggest that you remove or block the remaining numbers.)

Please upload the completed and signed claim form and all required documents to:
Old Feb 4, 15, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by meerkatani View Post
Hey guys,

I just bought two tickets for my parents with my CSP card and then this hit me. Does CSP cover the trip if I'm not flying with them? If not, would it help if I add one of them as an authorized user?

Thanks!
Parents are not covered. Adding as an authorized user probably won't help at this point since tickets were already purchased under your name on your card. You can call in to confirm though.

Search this Thread