Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred: Travel Delay Protection

Chase Sapphire Preferred: Travel Delay Protection

Hide Wikipost
Old May 17, 17, 11:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: philemer
Wiki Link
Since we have two threads that both address travel delay & cancellation issues we have decided to close this thread and all future discussion will be in this thread

For an overview of when you're covered and how to file a claim, read this blog post. I compiled a lot of information from this thread, so thank you to all the contributors!

Trip Delay Reimbursement Claim Reports: Post details of your claim under your eligible card. Include the date, reason for delay, length of delay, a general overview of expenses, and anything else you found interesting.

Chase Sapphire Preferred
*01/2014 - Delayed in MSP overnight due to mechanical issues. ~$300 for Hotel Ivy downtown, meals, and ground transportation covered with no issues. Benefits applied to AMEX FHR. Claim processed within 1 week. [Full Report]

*04/2014 - Delayed in DTW overnight due to crew member time-out. ~$400 for DTW Westin and meals covered with no issues. Claim processed within 1 week. Full Report

*07/2016 - Delayed in YYC overnight due to mechanical problems. Claim paid out ~$300. Full report.

Chase Sapphire

United MileagePlus Explorer (personal and business)
*07/2014- Delayed in MSP overnight due to weather at destination. Booked Marriott Mall of America for $120, and meals for 3 and a shirt were all covered. I recommend keeping your current BP for the canceled or delayed flight instead of throwing them away. Makes life a bit easier.

*12/2014 - Trip delay in Washington D.C. (My US Airways flight was delayed because of an equipment problem so I missed my connecting flight and was forced to stay overnight). I was flying on air miles but smartly used my Chase United Explorer Visa to pay the taxes and fees for our flights. Since there were 2 of us (me and my wife) we were eligible up to $1000 total in reimbursements for the 2 tickets. Approved for $632 for a for a 1 night room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Sent in the paperwork immediately after I got back via email and within 2 weeks I got the approval email and a week later got the check! Gratuity was not reimbursed and could not convince them to after a phone call. Hotel Was $380 after tax and this was not a problem.

United MileagePlus Club (personal and business)

Any Ink Business Card (Plus, Bold, Cash)

* 1/2017 - $625 covered on two tickets (myself & family member non-business trip). I used my Ink Plus card to pay taxes on a JetBlue flight that missed a connection due to mechanical maintenance.
Got paid out $625

Used Chase Ink Plus to pay for taxes on my JetBlue award ticket. Traveling with a family member (non-biz related trip).

-$65 from Walgreens (various items)
- 3 Uber rides (to/from hotel, to home)
- Hotel (~$265 after tax) breakfast was included with my hotel status
- $180 meal

They ended up covering tax, tip, and alcohol on my meal. Missed connection was in FLL, we decided to go have a 24 hour holiday in Miami.

Marriot Premier Rewards

Chase Hyatt
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Mar 4, 14, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by picards007 View Post
From my CSP Guide to Benefits booklet:

"Trip Delay Reimbursment: covers up to a maximum of $500 for each purchased ticket for reasonable expenses, on a one-time-basis, incurred if your covered trip is delayed by a covered hazard for more than 12 hours or requires an overnight stay."

As far as I can tell, there is no annual limit. For Trip Cancellation coverage however, there is a $20K limit per year and $10K max per occurrence.
If I came anywhere near a reasonable annual limit, I'd probably never want to fly again
Old Mar 6, 14, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Had a claim approved for a trip taken on miles (charged the $5 in taxes to the CSP).
Old Mar 18, 14, 11:50 am

Received the maximum individual benefit ($500) for a weather-related two day delay from 2/12-2/14.

I made sure to list expenses that went well over and above the $500 threshold in case Visa decided to reject some of them. I think I ultimately had about $800 in essential delay-related expenses.

My favorite expense that I justified up and down was that I paid about $220 for undergarments at the CLT Brooks Brothers store. US Airways would not give me my luggage during my two day delay, there was no other underwear option in CLT, and the City of Charlotte was essentially closed. I even went so far as to get a written statement from the Brooks Brothers employee and print out news stories saying the local malls were closed. I dare anyone to say that a change of underwear after two days isn't an essential expense!
Old Mar 20, 14, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by lawyertalk View Post
Had a claim approved for a trip taken on miles (charged the $5 in taxes to the CSP).
Ugh - I finally got mine approved but it was like pulling teeth. I kept going back and forth with them about the wording in the T&C which stated I only needed to partially pay for the common carrier ticket to be covered. They kept insisting they needed documentation about the card I earned the points on (diff card) to prove that that had delay coverage as well or they would deny the claim.

Between this and the hassles with the delayed baggage I claim I submitted July 15th and didn't get until the middle of October I am not too impressed with Visa's claim services.

On the positive side the delay claim was for a rental car and gas which is not explicitly covered. I figured my reasoning was sound given that the rental car allowed me to return home much sooner than getting a hotel and waiting around for a flight would have(And resulted in a much smaller claim as it was two card holders affected) but you never know.
Old Mar 21, 14, 10:27 am

Didnt know this existed... had to overnight one day in NJ because of a missed connection. This would have helped. The $7 vouchers were not enough. Good to know even though a little late..
Old Mar 23, 14, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by knn9413a View Post
Didnt know this existed... had to overnight one day in NJ because of a missed connection. This would have helped. The $7 vouchers were not enough. Good to know even though a little late..
Missed connection due to weather? If so, would it qualify?
Old Mar 23, 14, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
Missed connection due to weather? If so, would it qualify?
Yes.

I just got my second approved claim for a weather-related overnight. $475 this time. I really pushed that limit. I went to the Fairmont Santa Monica, which was about $45 cab ride each way, and it was not a cheap room
Old Mar 25, 14, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Yes.

I just got my second approved claim for a weather-related overnight. $475 this time. I really pushed that limit. I went to the Fairmont Santa Monica, which was about $45 cab ride each way, and it was not a cheap room
I cant wait for the next weather delay
Old Apr 18, 14, 4:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by zeusmt View Post
Does anyone know if the United Club Card has this same benefit?
Yes. I just had a claim approved for overnight expenses + rental car due to a weather cancellation. I have the United Club Card. Ticket was a UA award with taxes paid by said card.
Old May 7, 14, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Got stuck in DTW because of the whole FAA computer/spy-plane fiasco last week. One night at the airport Westin set me back around $360.

Submitted all the required claim documents last week, including my statement, two military waivers outlining the reasons for delay, and the gift certificates I used to cover a portion of the airfare.

Just got notification that my claim was approved (3.5 business day turnaround).

This is my second time making use of this benefit. Based on my two experiences, here are some suggestions for my fellow fliers who might find themselves in a similar situation in the future:

- Include your statement credit showing the airfare charged to your eligible card. Even though they don't ask for it in the claim cover letter, it's required.

- Get at least one (preferably 2) military waivers stating (1) the reason(s) for your delay, and (2) that you were delayed more than 12 hours or were required to make an overnight stay. You can always try to get by with flight records after the fact, but a military waiver is a direct statement from the airline (through one of its agents) and might make the process a lot easier.

- Try to tie the delay reason on the military waiver to one of the Covered Hazards specifically enumerated in your member agreement. For example, if you're snowed in overnight, ask the agent to drop in the words "inclement weather" in the military waiver. When I first called in the claim, the agent said that my claim would not be covered since it was the FAA's fault (?). I called ........ (mentally) and quickly backtracked saying I couldn't be sure what EXACTLY caused the delay and asked to fill out a claim form anyways.

- Decline hotel/meal vouchers and ask for points/miles instead. I don't think this becomes a legal issue unless you are requesting reimbursement for expenses paid by voucher, but why ask for compensation you won't use anyways?

- Be prepared to justify expenses as reasonable. In my experience, member services has been generous in reimbursing stays at upper-end hotels, but I'd have justified that by saying that I usually stay at Amex FHR hotels for leisure travel. I might have further added that I saved Chase money by taking advantage of complimentary meals and F&B credits.

In other words, don't expense a $400 bottle of wine and expect to get reimbursed. But if you are so inclined to try, and DO end up getting reimbursed, make sure to let us know.

Last edited by SansSerif; May 7, 14 at 2:26 pm
Old May 7, 14, 3:28 pm

so, if the airline doesn't give me meal vouchers and I eat a $500 dinner, Chase won't reject it, right?
and what happens if the airline gives me a meal voucher. But I still feel hungry after I use the voucher, then I eat a $500 dinner, will Chase refuse to pay?
Old May 7, 14, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 16743623 View Post
so, if the airline doesn't give me meal vouchers and I eat a $500 dinner, Chase won't reject it, right?
and what happens if the airline gives me a meal voucher. But I still feel hungry after I use the voucher, then I eat a $500 dinner, will Chase refuse to pay?
If you eat a $500 dinner, they could easily reject it as unreasonable.
Old May 7, 14, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by lawyertalk View Post
If you eat a $500 dinner, they could easily reject it as unreasonable.
In previous posts, I saw some people stayed in hotels that would cost around $300/night. is that reasonable? then what amount of food would be reasonable? $200?
Old May 7, 14, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 16743623 View Post
In previous posts, I saw some people stayed in hotels that would cost around $300/night. is that reasonable? then what amount of food would be reasonable? $200?
Reasonable is a subjective term. What is "reasonable" differs from person to person. Do you ordinarily drop hundreds of dollars for a single meal? If so, you might argue that a $500 - or $200 meal is reasonable.

Just be warned that Chase also has an idea of what's reasonable to them. In the event that your reasonable bubble does not stick well with theirs, prepare yourself for an uphill battle.

Last edited by SansSerif; May 7, 14 at 5:00 pm
Old May 7, 14, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

There are many more reasons to justify "reasonableness." In addition to claiming that something reasonable based on your personal spend, you could also claim reasonableness based on

-market rate (a claims adjustor would hardly bat an eye at a $400 hotel charge in New York but might scrutinize a similar charge in Podunk, Anytown, USA)
-weather (i ate inside my hotel restaurant, even though it was exorbitantly expensive, because it had snowed 40 feet the night before)
-extenuating circumstances (i stayed in the dtw westin even though it was way more expensive than hotels outside the airport because i had a broken leg)

and many many many more

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: