Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred: Travel Delay Protection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Since we have two threads that both address travel delay & cancellation issues we have decided to close this thread and all future discussion will be in this thread

For an overview of when you're covered and how to file a claim, read this blog post. I compiled a lot of information from this thread, so thank you to all the contributors!

Trip Delay Reimbursement Claim Reports: Post details of your claim under your eligible card. Include the date, reason for delay, length of delay, a general overview of expenses, and anything else you found interesting.

Chase Sapphire Preferred
*01/2014 - Delayed in MSP overnight due to mechanical issues. ~$300 for Hotel Ivy downtown, meals, and ground transportation covered with no issues. Benefits applied to AMEX FHR. Claim processed within 1 week. [Full Report]

*04/2014 - Delayed in DTW overnight due to crew member time-out. ~$400 for DTW Westin and meals covered with no issues. Claim processed within 1 week. Full Report

*07/2016 - Delayed in YYC overnight due to mechanical problems. Claim paid out ~$300. Full report.

Chase Sapphire

United MileagePlus Explorer (personal and business)
*07/2014- Delayed in MSP overnight due to weather at destination. Booked Marriott Mall of America for $120, and meals for 3 and a shirt were all covered. I recommend keeping your current BP for the canceled or delayed flight instead of throwing them away. Makes life a bit easier.

*12/2014 - Trip delay in Washington D.C. (My US Airways flight was delayed because of an equipment problem so I missed my connecting flight and was forced to stay overnight). I was flying on air miles but smartly used my Chase United Explorer Visa to pay the taxes and fees for our flights. Since there were 2 of us (me and my wife) we were eligible up to $1000 total in reimbursements for the 2 tickets. Approved for $632 for a for a 1 night room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Sent in the paperwork immediately after I got back via email and within 2 weeks I got the approval email and a week later got the check! Gratuity was not reimbursed and could not convince them to after a phone call. Hotel Was $380 after tax and this was not a problem.

United MileagePlus Club (personal and business)

Any Ink Business Card (Plus, Bold, Cash)

* 1/2017 - $625 covered on two tickets (myself & family member non-business trip). I used my Ink Plus card to pay taxes on a JetBlue flight that missed a connection due to mechanical maintenance.
Got paid out $625

Used Chase Ink Plus to pay for taxes on my JetBlue award ticket. Traveling with a family member (non-biz related trip).

-$65 from Walgreens (various items)
- 3 Uber rides (to/from hotel, to home)
- Hotel (~$265 after tax) breakfast was included with my hotel status
- $180 meal

They ended up covering tax, tip, and alcohol on my meal. Missed connection was in FLL, we decided to go have a 24 hour holiday in Miami.

Marriot Premier Rewards

Chase Hyatt
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred: Travel Delay Protection

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:51 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
I booked 9 flights for a family vacation in January, and we all got stuck there due to snow. Our original flight home was scheduled for 1/23, cancelled and changed to 1/24, then again to 1/26.

On 1/19 I called Chase to fully understand the benefits and eligibility of the Trip Delay, so we could make our hotel arrangements. I was assured that if I produced documentation from the common carrier of a weather event causing overnight, I would get the reimbursement for each of the 9 tickets I purchased with my Chase MEP (8 were full fare, 1 award). I have that documentation.

Now, the benefits administrator on the phone instructed that only myself, my spouse, and my children are covered (that's three of the nine tickets or up to $1,500). Everyone else is not covered ($3,000).

Here is a link to the benefits guide (p31 for Trip Delay)

I'm pretty incensed. I called to explicitly verify my benefits before I incurred any expenses, explicitly asked about all nine tickets. I was told all the tickets were covered and was not asked whether they were family. (Yes, all but one are "Immediate Family Members" according to the definition on page 12.)

I'm frustrated I didn't get my benefits claim call documented in advance. I should know better.

We haven't submitted the claim yet, but I will submit for all the tickets. Any tips for me at this point?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by ShannonO
I booked 9 flights for a family vacation in January, and we all got stuck there due to snow. Our original flight home was scheduled for 1/23, cancelled and changed to 1/24, then again to 1/26.

On 1/19 I called Chase to fully understand the benefits and eligibility of the Trip Delay, so we could make our hotel arrangements. I was assured that if I produced documentation from the common carrier of a weather event causing overnight, I would get the reimbursement for each of the 9 tickets I purchased with my Chase MEP (8 were full fare, 1 award). I have that documentation.

Now, the benefits administrator on the phone instructed that only myself, my spouse, and my children are covered (that's three of the nine tickets or up to $1,500). Everyone else is not covered ($3,000).

Here is a link to the benefits guide (p31 for Trip Delay)

I'm pretty incensed. I called to explicitly verify my benefits before I incurred any expenses, explicitly asked about all nine tickets. I was told all the tickets were covered and was not asked whether they were family. (Yes, all but one are "Immediate Family Members" according to the definition on page 12.)

I'm frustrated I didn't get my benefits claim call documented in advance. I should know better.

We haven't submitted the claim yet, but I will submit for all the tickets. Any tips for me at this point?
Calling a rep is no substitute for looking at the language of the coverage itself. Reps make mistakes, and typically are not authorized to change the terms of the coverage.

Fewer relatives are eligible for coverage under the "Trip Delay" protection than under the "Trip Interruption" coverage, but the latter coverage does not seem to cover additional hotel nights.

How much less would your extra hotel expenses have been if you had known that only three of the nine travelers would be covered?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:06 pm

Recent Trip Delay Insurance Claim

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP)
I received this card within the past month.

Trip booked at end of January. Only $26 of boat tickets were paid via CSP (the rest was paid with a gift card).
Return trip delayed because of weather.

$687 Trip Delay insurance claim with all paperwork submitted 2/3/16.
Check for about $610 mailed to me today 2/10/16 per customer service.

Very satisfied!

Tips: Read the fine print. And save all your receipts, reservations, itineraries, confirmations, etc.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by carlsbadtimm
$687 Trip Delay insurance claim with all paperwork submitted 2/3/16.
Check for about $610 mailed to me today 2/10/16 per customer service.
What was the reason for the $77 difference?

I'm really glad I got this card. Between the primary rental car insurance and the trip delay insurance, it's so worth it for the peace of mind. Not to mention the other features. ^
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:37 am

Is this the best card to charge travel since because of the trip insurance including Freedom, InkPlus? Any other card card has the same thing?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:12 pm

My flight home from a weekend trip, purchased with BA miles (and the Sapphire for taxes/fees) was cancelled due to weather and I had to stay overnight. Based on the blog linked in the wiki I thought this might be covered, but when I called I was told it was not. Should I press the issue or is this accurate? Not crushing if this is not covered but it would be nice . Thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by godlovesugly
My flight home from a weekend trip, purchased with BA miles (and the Sapphire for taxes/fees) was cancelled due to weather and I had to stay overnight. Based on the blog linked in the wiki I thought this might be covered, but when I called I was told it was not. Should I press the issue or is this accurate? Not crushing if this is not covered but it would be nice . Thanks.
What explanation was given for saying that you are not covered? Is Chase saying that the taxes you charged to your card do not constitute "a portion ... of your Common Carrier fare"?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

What explanation was given for saying that you are not covered? Is Chase saying that the taxes you charged to your card do not constitute "a portion ... of your Common Carrier fare"?
No explanation, she just said it was not covered. I'll try again based on what you are saying haha.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by godlovesugly

No explanation, she just said it was not covered. I'll try again based on what you are saying haha.
The problem may be that the taxes and fees are, in fact, not considered part of the "fare" from Chase's point of view. I note that the separate Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption coverages have a special provision that specifically covers award tickets; that provision is lacking in the Trip Delay coverage.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by spidy1
Is this the best card to charge travel since because of the trip insurance including Freedom, InkPlus? Any other card card has the same thing?
United Club, Ritz Carlton, Marriott Premier, and maybe others offer this.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by highops
United Club, Ritz Carlton, Marriott Premier, and maybe others offer this.
Thanks..This blog has put a nice comparison between the cards.

https://saverocity.com/milewriter/20...se-trip-delay/
Old Feb 26, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: United MileagePlus

Calling a rep is no substitute for looking at the language of the coverage itself. Reps make mistakes, and typically are not authorized to change the terms of the coverage.
Yes, I should have known better. I looked at the summary of benefits that I could find online and saw:

I did not think to question that "Family member" and "immediate family" have different definitions for travel interruption and travel delay.

Fewer relatives are eligible for coverage under the "Trip Delay" protection than under the "Trip Interruption" coverage, but the latter coverage does not seem to cover additional hotel nights.

How much less would your extra hotel expenses have been if you had known that only three of the nine travelers would be covered?
Our party of 11 needed 4 hotel rooms. The choices were a $500/night Marriott with beachfront, versus a $150/night airport hotel with front to a busy street. Because we had kids with us and we thought we were staying 1 night with $4500 in benefit ceiling, we chose the $500/night. Then our second flight cancellation happened, and we couldn't get a flight out for two more nights. So, we stayed three nights. 3 nights x 4 rooms x $500 = $6,000. We thought, "Okay, we'll be okay since we'll get $4,500 of that back."

Instead, it looks like we're getting $1,500 back. Which is a kick in the gut.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by Tailgater
This trip delay coverage---it wouldn't kick in, would it, if the airline sets up/pays for the overnight hotel and a meal or two? I mean, don't airlines automatically put you up if then missed connection is not the passenger's fault? I'm confused. I once had trip insurance (purchased separately) on a Europe trip, missed (inclement weather) a CDG connection to USA and consequently was put in a hotel at airlines expense. I didn't bother filing a claim with my trip ins since I assumed it would be double dipping. Any thoughts?
If you didn't pay for it there's nothing to claim...
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:58 pm

I am curious if the following situation can trigger a valid claim:

Layover (International to Domestic) at NRT from a UA flight to an NH flight. The connection time is 85 minutes. According to NH, the minimum connection time (MCT) of such a transfer is 75 minutes. The next available flight to the final destination is 13 hours later (early morning in the next day). What if there is a 20-minute delay (of actual arrival time) of my UA flight occur? Would it be a valid case?

Last edited by samwkchan; Mar 6, 2016 at 12:01 am Reason: More information
Old Mar 6, 2016, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by samwkchan
I am curious if the following situation can trigger a valid claim:

Layover (International to Domestic) at NRT from a UA flight to an NH flight. The connection time is 85 minutes. According to NH, the minimum connection time (MCT) of such a transfer is 75 minutes. What if there is a 20-minute delay (of actual arrival time) of my UA flight occur? Would it be a valid case?
Does the delay cause you to miss your flight?

Is it for reasons not covered by the airline?

Does it force you to stay overnight or for 6 hours?

If the answer to all three questions is "yes", then you should be covered. Otherwise, no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.