FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Ireland CDW coverage no longer excluded from Chase co-brand airline Signature Visas? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1505939-ireland-cdw-coverage-no-longer-excluded-chase-co-brand-airline-signature-visas.html)

rcurry01 Sep 24, 2013 4:41 pm

Ireland CDW coverage no longer excluded from Chase co-brand airline Signature Visas?

Did anyone else receive the guide to benefits for the Chase BA Avios Visa Signature today? Generally these are not that interesting. This time I notice that there is no longer country specific exclusions for the rental car CDW coverage. I travel to Ireland frequently and rental car insurance is excluded from every major US credit card I know of in Ireland. (A limited number of World Master Cards used to provide coverage in Ireland, but I have found even that spotty.) This change is a big improvement for those of us who rent cars in Ireland if it is true. Has anyone else noticed this? Are there other Visa Signature cards that also have this benefit now? I would be interested in any reports on using this benefit in Ireland.

rcurry01 Sep 24, 2013 4:47 pm

Here is the link to the benefits:
www.chasebenefits.com/signatureairVW1

moondog417 Sep 24, 2013 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by rcurry01 (Post 21498944)
Did anyone else receive the guide to benefits for the Chase BA Avios Visa Signature today? Generally these are not that interesting. This time I notice that there is no longer country specific exclusions for the rental car CDW coverage. I travel to Ireland frequently and rental car insurance is excluded from every major US credit card I know of in Ireland. (A limited number of World Master Cards used to provide coverage in Ireland, but I have found even that spotty.) This change is a big improvement for those of us who rent cars in Ireland if it is true. Has anyone else noticed this? Are there other Visa Signature cards that also have this benefit now? I would be interested in any reports on using this benefit in Ireland.

I had a glance as well. This stuck out to me: "The benefit is available in the United States and most foreign countries." I did not see anywhere that defines "most."

chunky649 Sep 26, 2013 8:44 pm

I have booked a vacation trip to DUB in November. I just started researching rental cars now. I received the new terms&conditions PDF file and can't find anything that say Ireland is excluded. Anyone called BA credit card to confirm? and of course, to get them to email/fax/mail a letter confirming the coverage?

moondog417 Sep 26, 2013 10:34 pm

I got the same terms with my Sapphire Preferred Card. That leads me to believe it's nothing special relative to the standard Visa Signature coverage. See from Visa: http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/b..._personal.html
which still excludes ireland.

Superorb Sep 26, 2013 10:42 pm

I got the new terms for my United card today and it just says "most countries" but nowhere does it say the excluded countries. I've got a 16 day trip to Ireland next summer and it could mean a lot of savings.

philwupdx Sep 28, 2013 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by rcurry01 (Post 21498944)
Has anyone else noticed this? Are there other Visa Signature cards that also have this benefit now? I would be interested in any reports on using this benefit in Ireland.

Chase/JP Morgan has obviously issued new guides to benefits for their entire portfolio of cards.
My new benefit guide for the JP Morgan Select Visa (same for Palladiium) continues to offer primary CDW coverage. Even though the cover letter stated that this benefit was "enhanced," I couldn't determine what was enhanced.

As of 11/2010 the CDW benefit reads: "This benefit is available in the United States and most foreign countries. No coverage is provided for motor vehicles rented in Israel, Jamaica, or the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland. Additionally, coverage is not available where precluded by law..."

As everyone has pointed out, the new guide simply reaffirms "most foreign countries" and that "coverage is not available where...prohibited by law or by individual merchants...we recommend that you check with your auto rental company and Benefit Administrator before you travel to make sure your auto rental CDW will apply."

I just returned from Northern Ireland and rented a car in Derry through Enterprise. The new guide to benefits had not been published yet. It cost $39.95 USD including "full" coverage that reduced my liability (deductible) to $100 USD. While I reserved and charged the rental to my JPM Select Visa, I did not expect coverage through the card's primary CDW (based on the previous statement). As it was, the rate was inexpensive enough.

StartinSanDiego Sep 29, 2013 11:10 am

So I'm confused, is the USA issued British Airways card offering the CDW now, or is Ireland still excluded?

philwupdx Sep 29, 2013 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego (Post 21524420)
So I'm confused, is the USA issued British Airways card offering the CDW now, or is Ireland still excluded?

The US British Airways card most likely offers SECONDARY CDW coverage as part of generic Visa Signature benefits. I received a new benefit guide for my Chase Hyatt Visa Signature card which is undoubtedly the same as the Chase British Airways Visa Signature. The CDW coverage is described as being applicable in "most countries," but one should check with the Plan Administrator and the car rental agency.

StartinSanDiego Sep 30, 2013 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by philwupdx (Post 21526323)
The US British Airways card most likely offers SECONDARY CDW coverage as part of generic Visa Signature benefits. I received a new benefit guide for my Chase Hyatt Visa Signature card which is undoubtedly the same as the Chase British Airways Visa Signature. The CDW coverage is described as being applicable in "most countries," but one should check with the Plan Administrator and the car rental agency.

Thanks. Heading to Ireland next week and have a car rental planned, too.

deant Sep 30, 2013 2:15 pm

Has anyone actually called the Plan Administrator to see what they say are the excluded countries?

aradisc Sep 30, 2013 6:57 pm

I'm interested if anyone can get the new list... don't have a WMC but I have a couple Visa sig cards and I'm traveling to Israel in Jan.

nsr Feb 2, 2017 3:40 am

BA Chase Visa CDW in Ireland

Sorry for getting back to this old post but what's the verdict?
Does BA Chase card issued in the US provide CDW in Ireland or not?

soy Feb 2, 2017 6:47 am

Originally Posted by nsr (Post 27853841)
Sorry for getting back to this old post but what's the verdict?
Does BA Chase card issued in the US provide CDW in Ireland or not?

Not sure about BA card, but the CSP does cover Ireland and they are both Visa Sig. However you will need to contact Chase in any event as the rental company will demand a letter of proof. Note even then, some will put $5k hold on your card, so make sure you have enough credit line.

tev9999 Feb 2, 2017 12:44 pm

All Chase cards are good for Ireland as far as I know - includes MC and Visa, Biz and Personal, basic card to Signature/World/Infinite. Benefits are administrated by Card Benefit Services. Just give them a call, give them your card number, and they will e-mail you a personalized letter saying you are covered in both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. Takes less than five minutes. Some rental places may have requirements about the letter being dated XX days before the rental, so don't bother today if your trip is not for six months.

I also like to carry a copy of the benefits guide, just in case. If you don't have it - request a new one from Chase.