Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ireland CDW coverage no longer excluded from Chase co-brand airline Signature Visas?

Ireland CDW coverage no longer excluded from Chase co-brand airline Signature Visas?

Old Sep 24, 2013, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold

Did anyone else receive the guide to benefits for the Chase BA Avios Visa Signature today? Generally these are not that interesting. This time I notice that there is no longer country specific exclusions for the rental car CDW coverage. I travel to Ireland frequently and rental car insurance is excluded from every major US credit card I know of in Ireland. (A limited number of World Master Cards used to provide coverage in Ireland, but I have found even that spotty.) This change is a big improvement for those of us who rent cars in Ireland if it is true. Has anyone else noticed this? Are there other Visa Signature cards that also have this benefit now? I would be interested in any reports on using this benefit in Ireland.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold
Here is the link to the benefits:
www.chasebenefits.com/signatureairVW1
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rcurry01
Did anyone else receive the guide to benefits for the Chase BA Avios Visa Signature today? Generally these are not that interesting. This time I notice that there is no longer country specific exclusions for the rental car CDW coverage. I travel to Ireland frequently and rental car insurance is excluded from every major US credit card I know of in Ireland. (A limited number of World Master Cards used to provide coverage in Ireland, but I have found even that spotty.) This change is a big improvement for those of us who rent cars in Ireland if it is true. Has anyone else noticed this? Are there other Visa Signature cards that also have this benefit now? I would be interested in any reports on using this benefit in Ireland.
I had a glance as well. This stuck out to me: "The benefit is available in the United States and most foreign countries." I did not see anywhere that defines "most."
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
I have booked a vacation trip to DUB in November. I just started researching rental cars now. I received the new terms&conditions PDF file and can't find anything that say Ireland is excluded. Anyone called BA credit card to confirm? and of course, to get them to email/fax/mail a letter confirming the coverage?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:34 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold
I got the same terms with my Sapphire Preferred Card. That leads me to believe it's nothing special relative to the standard Visa Signature coverage. See from Visa: http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/b..._personal.html
which still excludes ireland.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:42 pm

I got the new terms for my United card today and it just says "most countries" but nowhere does it say the excluded countries. I've got a 16 day trip to Ireland next summer and it could mean a lot of savings.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rcurry01
Has anyone else noticed this? Are there other Visa Signature cards that also have this benefit now? I would be interested in any reports on using this benefit in Ireland.
Chase/JP Morgan has obviously issued new guides to benefits for their entire portfolio of cards.
My new benefit guide for the JP Morgan Select Visa (same for Palladiium) continues to offer primary CDW coverage. Even though the cover letter stated that this benefit was "enhanced," I couldn't determine what was enhanced.

As of 11/2010 the CDW benefit reads: "This benefit is available in the United States and most foreign countries. No coverage is provided for motor vehicles rented in Israel, Jamaica, or the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland. Additionally, coverage is not available where precluded by law..."

As everyone has pointed out, the new guide simply reaffirms "most foreign countries" and that "coverage is not available where...prohibited by law or by individual merchants...we recommend that you check with your auto rental company and Benefit Administrator before you travel to make sure your auto rental CDW will apply."

I just returned from Northern Ireland and rented a car in Derry through Enterprise. The new guide to benefits had not been published yet. It cost $39.95 USD including "full" coverage that reduced my liability (deductible) to $100 USD. While I reserved and charged the rental to my JPM Select Visa, I did not expect coverage through the card's primary CDW (based on the previous statement). As it was, the rate was inexpensive enough.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:10 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

So I'm confused, is the USA issued British Airways card offering the CDW now, or is Ireland still excluded?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
So I'm confused, is the USA issued British Airways card offering the CDW now, or is Ireland still excluded?
The US British Airways card most likely offers SECONDARY CDW coverage as part of generic Visa Signature benefits. I received a new benefit guide for my Chase Hyatt Visa Signature card which is undoubtedly the same as the Chase British Airways Visa Signature. The CDW coverage is described as being applicable in "most countries," but one should check with the Plan Administrator and the car rental agency.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by philwupdx
The US British Airways card most likely offers SECONDARY CDW coverage as part of generic Visa Signature benefits. I received a new benefit guide for my Chase Hyatt Visa Signature card which is undoubtedly the same as the Chase British Airways Visa Signature. The CDW coverage is described as being applicable in "most countries," but one should check with the Plan Administrator and the car rental agency.

Thanks. Heading to Ireland next week and have a car rental planned, too.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Has anyone actually called the Plan Administrator to see what they say are the excluded countries?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 6:57 pm

I'm interested if anyone can get the new list... don't have a WMC but I have a couple Visa sig cards and I'm traveling to Israel in Jan.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:40 am
nsr

Question BA Chase Visa CDW in Ireland

Sorry for getting back to this old post but what's the verdict?
Does BA Chase card issued in the US provide CDW in Ireland or not?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:47 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by nsr
Sorry for getting back to this old post but what's the verdict?
Does BA Chase card issued in the US provide CDW in Ireland or not?
Not sure about BA card, but the CSP does cover Ireland and they are both Visa Sig. However you will need to contact Chase in any event as the rental company will demand a letter of proof. Note even then, some will put $5k hold on your card, so make sure you have enough credit line.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
All Chase cards are good for Ireland as far as I know - includes MC and Visa, Biz and Personal, basic card to Signature/World/Infinite. Benefits are administrated by Card Benefit Services. Just give them a call, give them your card number, and they will e-mail you a personalized letter saying you are covered in both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. Takes less than five minutes. Some rental places may have requirements about the letter being dated XX days before the rental, so don't bother today if your trip is not for six months.

I also like to carry a copy of the benefits guide, just in case. If you don't have it - request a new one from Chase.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.