Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Calling Chase when I travel? Can be done online.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:44 am
afl
Original Poster

Programs: Citi AA, Cap One Venture, Asia Miles, AA, BA

I’m looking to do some foreign travel (mostly Europe) soon and have a Chase Sapphire card. I know that there used to be this travel flag issue where I had to call Chase to let them know I was traveling so they wouldn’t shut off my card. Is this still true? Is there an online form or something like that I could use?
Is this true for all Chase cards? My coworker has a Chase Preferred card and wants to know too.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Welcome to FlyerTalk. I have moved your question to the Chase forum.

Login to chase.com
Click: Go to Customer Center
Click: Travel Notification Form

However, I have never notified any card issuer of my travel plans, and no charge has ever been declined.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
I'd register at Chase.com if having the card work is very important to you. They'll reply back with a secured message and note:

"If a decline should occur, please call the number on the
back of your card. From outside the U.S., you can call us
collect at 1-302-594-8200."
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to FlyerTalk. I have moved your question to the Chase forum.

Login to chase.com
Click: Go to Customer Center
Click: Travel Notification Form

However, I have never notified any card issuer of my travel plans, and no charge has ever been declined.
I think part of this is because the vast majority of flights have the flight information forwarded to CC companies when charged, so they have an idea. Amex pretty much will tell you this.

The only time I've had an issue was when I tried to purchase something over the phone from Hawaii and Barclays was being Barclays.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:21 am

Programs: UA MR UR AA
I travel and have not had a card declined in recent memory. While traveling I would also be charging stuff in the US eg. amazon purchases or my regular online subscriptions.

The only time I had a card declined was via Paypal purchasing an auto part from the UK which somehow registered as a grocery store (?). That never went through so I used my Chase card without problems.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:09 am

I called Chase to give travel notice but then I got an email back saying that Chase no longer requires travel notices.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:42 am

I was in Florida for a month this summer on an extended vacation, and my Chase Card worked fine - even with about 8k of manufactured spending at CVS (gotta get my goals!) - but finally at a WENDY'S for 3 dollars it was declined. I called in and they were shocked I was on vacation! Spending 1007.90 at CVS is fine, but getting chili at Wendy's is a major no-no. They said they'd flag my account as in Florida for the rest of the time I would be there. Not sure if that anecdote is worth anything to you, but there it is, anyway!
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
I always call and alert cc company and db bank of the cards im taking and they always say they will make note on my acct. Never had an issue after doing that
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by skibum7732
I always call and alert cc company and db bank of the cards im taking and they always say they will make note on my acct. Never had an issue after doing that
i would call CSP and they would flag my account just incase. when i first go the card last november i was in vagas and i didn't have any charges declined but i got a call from chase doubling checking of my purchase and whether it was me or not.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 1:50 pm
afl
Original Poster

awesome, thanks guys!
Old Sep 26, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Originally Posted by afl
I’m looking to do some foreign travel (mostly Europe) soon and have a Chase Sapphire card. I know that there used to be this travel flag issue where I had to call Chase to let them know I was traveling so they wouldn’t shut off my card. Is this still true? Is there an online form or something like that I could use?
Is this true for all Chase cards? My coworker has a Chase Preferred card and wants to know too.
It doesn't hurt to tell them that you are traveling. If you buy anything at Prada in Italy, they will hold up your purchases until your at cleared.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 2:05 pm
afl
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need
I called Chase to give travel notice but then I got an email back saying that Chase no longer requires travel notices.
Interesting...wonder how is this even possible?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
Originally Posted by afl
Interesting...wonder how is this even possible?
I have seven Chase cards, and they sent me separate emails for 3 of the cards, noting that they no longer require a travel notification. I travel internationally every month or two, so I am not sure if this was targeted to frequent international travelers like me or is very common.

I wanted to use one card overseas that wasn't mentioned, and thus I still submitted a travel notification (which by default applies to all cards). Surprisingly, they sent an SM back noting the cards that didn't require the notification and noting that the others would now be noted for the trip.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 6:32 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Been hopping between US and Asia and never called. No problems with CSP spending.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Just checking to see what others do. I've flown to many countries and never notified them and never had a problem. Sounds like a nice to do thing but not required?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.