Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Recovering Ultimate Rewards Points after account closure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:50 am
Original Poster

I "understand" the terms that you lose your points when you close an account.

In opening a new card, I had to move some credit, and simply asked them to close one of my Ink accounts as I was not using it. Soon after I realized, I have some Ultimate rewards points still in that account. I called after an hour and they agreed to notate my account and have the supervisor re-open, transfer to my other Ink card, and close. Estimate was 2 days, but its been 4 now with no change. Any experience with this?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 4:01 pm
In memoriam

My experience with this is that when I call to close an account the rep checks to see if I have any Ultimate Rewards points in the account. If there are any, which happened once (just a few) we transfer them immediately to another account and then close the account I called about.

Their rule is apparently: close account, lose un-transferred points.

Good luck with getting your points back. I hope Chase comes through for you. But, if they don't, I'm not sure you have a legit gripe.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Spoke with another agent today, and after digging into the notes a bit (which he mentioned were not clear), he confirmed that the points will be posted to the open account on the next billing cycle.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

No points transfer after Statement closure. Called and the agent opened an escalated ticket with the Marketing department. I should hear back within 7-10 days.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Plat,SPG-Plat,Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by vrbaba
No points transfer after Statement closure. Called and the agent opened an escalated ticket with the Marketing department. I should hear back within 7-10 days.
Send a secure message! They are pretty fast to respond.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
The CSR who closed the card dropped the ball. They should have realized that there were still points on the account and offered an option to cash them out or transfer them to a travel program.

Let us know if you get your points back!
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:53 am
Original Poster

UR Points are in my Active account now. It's showing up as "Adjustment", which seems they might have manually added the points with some level of approval (as opposed to a systematic process to re-instate the points). The update by the last CSR seems to have been correct and points did show up in the 7-10 days after opening the "escalated ticket with the marketing department".
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by vrbaba
UR Points are in my Active account now...
^ Thank you for keeping this thread updated throughout the process. Too often we read about the problem, but not the resolution.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:50 pm
In memoriam

Question Lost Ultimate Rewards Pts Recoverable?

Friend tells me that she lost 50,000 odd Ultimate Rewards Points because she didn't know she had to transfer the UR balance to another UR earning account to keep it when she closed her Sapphire Preferred card.

She did have another such account (Ink) at the time and still has one.

She says that the rep never told her about the loss from closing. I suspect, but don't know, that she was told about it but just didn't understand.

Has anyone has any experience or luck in getting such lost UR points reinstated? Or, is it a lost cause?

I know that no FT regular could make this sort of error--but my friend is just a normal person.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Has anyone has any experience or luck in getting such lost UR points reinstated?
Yes, and I have appended your question to the relevant thread.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
https://twitter.com/ChaseSupport

Get in touch with these guys. They wield a lot of power and short of approving apps, they can pretty much do anything.

Post on their wall asking them to send you a DM (direct message)...Then explain the situation to them. They'll make sure the problem is fixed.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by jatink129

Get in touch with these guys. They wield a lot of power and short of approving apps, they can pretty much do anything.

Post on their wall asking them to send you a DM (direct message)...Then explain the situation to them. They'll make sure the problem is fixed.
Excellent advice. We also seen similar suggestions in regards to several travel and credit card programs. If you wouldn’t mind, for those of us who are not Twitter users and do not have Twitter accounts, is there a way to contact “these guys”? Any way to email them, perhaps that is what you are referring to with “Post on their wall”? I got the idea that by signing up at the website I would be “joining” twitter. Thank you. (Apologies for possible hijack.)
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Excellent advice. We also seen similar suggestions in regards to several travel and credit card programs. If you wouldn’t mind, for those of us who are not Twitter users and do not have Twitter accounts, is there a way to contact “these guys”? Any way to email them, perhaps that is what you are referring to with “Post on their wall”? I got the idea that by signing up at the website I would be “joining” twitter. Thank you. (Apologies for possible hijack.)
Posting on their wall, means exactly that. On Twitter, you post on their wall.

I have no idea how to contact these people aside from Twitter. Sorry.
Create an account. It's not difficult..and you don't need to do anything with it.
I use it mostly for customer support any way.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by jatink129

SUCCESS !!

Hi jatink129, just to want to say thank you very much. I recovered my points thanks to your suggestion to contact Chase support on Twitter.

I cancelled my Sapphire card then lost 42000 UR points. Because I cancelled by consolidating with another card, the same Sapphire account could not be reopened. (My spouse cancelled too but did not consolidate therefore was able to reopen his card and reinstate points.)

Called CS, who escalated to marketing dept. which sent me a denial letter for the reason all points are lost when account is cancelled. Normally that would be the end of the road !!

Alas then I saw your post, initially I was dubious if it would even work but as a last resort why not give it a try so I signed up Twitter account.

As Twitter newbie it took me a while to figure out Twitter. (not difficult though) After channel of communication is established via direct message, I explained to her there was a misunderstanding that I would keep the points if I had other credit cards still open. (same story I told CS with no success)

Lo and behold the next day she twit back I would receive a check redemption for the lost points.

Now I really believe they have to have some serious clout to be able to pull some strings to have my lost points converted to cash redemption. Somebody has to manually override and issue me a check.

Twitter Chase support is indeed wonderful. Nevertheless please keep in mind that the outcome of each request is determined on a case by case basis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.