Search

UA Explorer or AMEX?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2013, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Blue, SPG
UA Explorer or AMEX?

Hello all.

I have currently the older UA Mileage Plus Visa card. I'm attracted to the new Explorer card due to it's no foreign transaction fees. But is it worth it when my current MP CC has no annual fee? I do travel internationally often.

I also miss having my AMEX Gold Card. (Mainly because of the customer service and such). I closed it out a couple years ago. Now I'm looking to apply for the SPG AMEX so I can accumulate hotel points. It has an annual fee, and no foreign transaction fee waiver.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AA764
Hello all.

I have currently the older UA Mileage Plus Visa card. I'm attracted to the new Explorer card due to it's no foreign transaction fees. But is it worth it when my current MP CC has no annual fee? I do travel internationally often.

I also miss having my AMEX Gold Card. (Mainly because of the customer service and such). I closed it out a couple years ago. Now I'm looking to apply for the SPG AMEX so I can accumulate hotel points. It has an annual fee, and no foreign transaction fee waiver.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
How much do you spend internationally per year? If < $3K, you're better off with the no AF card with 3% FTF vs the no FTF card with $95 AF.

Sounds like you are big on United miles, so Amex Gold wouldn't get you much there. Has both AF and FTF, but it does offer category bonuses. Really apples and oranges and a personal choice.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:23 pm

MP and Explorer are different products, no need to drop one for the other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.