Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

UR points when using Sapphire Preferred with LevelUp

Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Has anyone tried linking their Chase Sapphire Preferred card with a Payments Platform like LevelUp (or Square)? I am wondering if I use LevelUp to pay my bills at restaurants (with my Sapphire Preferred card linked to it), can I earn the double UR points which I would have if I had used my card directly?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
I have never gotten the category bonus from a restaurant using Square, since--I know from having square myself--there is no way for the merchant to list their merchant category; they can only list the name of their business. LevelUp might be different but I doubt it.

If its a substantial amount we're talking about for a "legitimate" purchase (i.e. not just trying to churn points by using your own LevelUp account), a CSR might be able to grant you the additional bonus points on a "one-time" or occasional basis as a courtesy.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
I know from having square myself--there is no way for the merchant to list their merchant category;
I have a food truck I eat at pretty regularly that uses Square, that automatically comes up as a restaurant and I get my 2x. Might wanna check again.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
I go to food trucks 2-3 times a week and they all use Square readers and I always get 2x for dining.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by PainCorp
I have a food truck I eat at pretty regularly that uses Square, that automatically comes up as a restaurant and I get my 2x. Might wanna check again.
Square allows merchants to set their merchant codes, but third party providers often do not (like Foodler). For example, when I was in college, a third-party vendor handled online pizza orders, but did not qualify for additional points (it was listed as a speciality service).

OP's best bet is to contact LevelUp and ask how they are listed with Visa/MC.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by augustus21
Square allows merchants to set their merchant codes, but third party providers often do not (like Foodler). For example, when I was in college, a third-party vendor handled online pizza orders, but did not qualify for additional points (it was listed as a speciality service).

Well Square and Foodler are two different products. That's like saying I ordered a rental car through Expedia but didn't get the bonus points on my credit card because I didn't rent it through Enterprise directly when it says I have to.

The second part also depends if LevelUp is a payment processor or a third party that handles charges like Foodler.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustus21

Well Square and Foodler are two different products. That's like saying I ordered a rental car through Expedia but didn't get the bonus points on my credit card because I didn't rent it through Enterprise directly when it says I have to.

The second part also depends if LevelUp is a payment processor or a third party that handles charges like Foodler.
Exactly -- that's the comparison I was trying to make: is LevelUp more like Square (a payment processor) or Foodler (just a third party)?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Rather than asking LevelUp I will probably make a quick purchase using it and sees what shows up in Blueprint.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sometalkofme
Rather than asking LevelUp I will probably make a quick purchase using it and sees what shows up in Blueprint.

^

Much better idea.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by sometalkofme

So what did you find? Sheesh...
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:42 am

I actually reached out to LevelUp about this since now LevelUp charges immediately for a purchase and I believe every time I have ever used it was at a restaurant.

Their response was that with their processor all purchases have to be categorized the same way and thus it is "Miscellaneous" since they claim a lot of their transactions are not for restaurants.

They said this might change but wouldn't count on any category bonuses through them soon. For the restaurants I go to, it is still a better deal to go through LevelUp with the bonuses they have.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: United Airlines MileagePlus
Originally Posted by erlich
So what did you find? Sheesh...
LevelUp codes as 3x on my CSR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.