Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please continue the discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1985871-chase-avios-earning-credit-cards-ba-air-lingus-iberia-up-100k-avios-more.html

Up to 100K Avios - 50K after $3K spend/3 mos. plus 50K after $20K spend in 12 months($95 AF)
  • https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/british-airways
New benefits (August 2019):

Now with up to $600 in statement credits for award taxes and fees PER CALENDAR YEAR. 3x$200 or 3x $100 depending on class booked. See the details for flight restrictions, etc, here:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/statement-credit

The calendar year restriction means that you can use it twice in the upcoming months, 3x on or before Dec 31 and 3x again after Jan 1 or a total of up to $1200.

10% back on flights booked at BA.com using the code CHASEBA10.
The details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/save-10percent

Avios can be combined or moved between Iberia and Air Lingus accounts.
Chase also offers sign up bonuses on Air LIngus and Iberia co-branded airline credit cards. (As of August 2019's offers both are tiered 100K Avios offers) This allows big spenders that are under 5/24 to get up to 300K in sign up bonuses, plus combine points to book at BA.com for flights and get the fuel surcharge refund and 10% off.
See the BA forum and this thread in the Chase forum for Avios earnings strategies: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1980400-anyone-else-racking-up-avios-points.html

Spending $30,000 will earn a Companion Fare "Travel Together" ticket.
Details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/travel-together/travel-together

Downgrades: Chase offers a no fee BA card. It's not available for new applications but can be accessed via a downgrade from the standard, $95 a year card. When the annual fee comes due you can downgrade/ product change to the British Airways rewards credit card with no annual fee and thereby preserve your card number, credit line and Average Age of Account. It's unclear whether the fee free card will get the new perks (August 2019) of an award fee rebate. Perhaps someone with the fee free card can make a dummy booking and update us here at FT.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously? How long do I have to wait before reapplying? Should I call if my application is held for further review and not approved instantly?
A. See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward
Q. Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?
A. Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your hotel/airline account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.
Print Wikipost

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by x712xdamx
I'll be a guinea pig. Applied for my 2nd BA card. First one 2+ years ago, canceled a year ago.

Approved no problem, $8,400 limit. Will post if I get the 50k, but I am feeling optimistic!
Please post the result either way. Getting the new card issued was never the problem with Chase; it has always been the "so sorry, churner, you lose" letter that comes in the mail a month or two later.

Seriously, the points-grubber in me really wants you to succeed, but the jaded realist -- in particular, the one who has gotten that letter from Chase -- is not optimistic.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by beltway
Please post the result either way. Getting the new card issued was never the problem with Chase; it has always been the "so sorry, churner, you lose" letter that comes in the mail a month or two later.

Seriously, the points-grubber in me really wants you to succeed, but the jaded realist -- in particular, the one who has gotten that letter from Chase -- is not optimistic.
Right.... Between here and Dans Deals I've seen people with both successful and un-successful churns. It's been 2+ years since my app, the chase gift cards give pain-less spending, and this offer is mega different. Fingers crossed!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:53 am

Programs: status free since 2017
50,000 avios are pretty good for domestic short hauls. But earning capacity is crap otherwise.

Does anyone have thoughts/opinions on BAs Travel Together voucher (their version of companion ticket) for hitting a 30K spend.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I'll be a guinea pig. Applied for my 2nd BA card. First one 2+ years ago, canceled a year ago.

Approved no problem, $8,400 limit. Will post if I get the 50k, but I am feeling optimistic!
Send a SM and see what the customer service rep says..
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
50,000 avios are pretty good for domestic short hauls. But earning capacity is crap otherwise.

Does anyone have thoughts/opinions on BAs Travel Together voucher (their version of companion ticket) for hitting a 30K spend.
I haven't used them myself yet, but do know others who have, last year BA had a nice J (CW) sale $2200 RT PHX-LHR with the fuel surcharge for the second passenager, two people flew CW RT, I want to say it was under 3K for both. So for 1500/each not a bad deal. IF you really want to save money, WT+ isn't bad...
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:01 pm

Approved quasi-instantly. It did not confirm when applying, but Reconsideration line a few minutes later informed me it was already approved. I got a very low limit (my other 4 Chase cards have very high limits). I thought the Visa Signature minimum was $5000, but they told me it was $2000. I have to wait to close/consolidate with another card when I get the BA card in the mail.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway

Right.... Between here and Dans Deals I've seen people with both successful and un-successful churns. It's been 2+ years since my app, the chase gift cards give pain-less spending, and this offer is mega different. Fingers crossed!
This deal is scheduled to end Sep 30. So to be a successful guineau pig, someone needs to not only apply now, but complete the $2000 minimum spend in time enough for the bonus to have posted (if it's going to post) before Sep 30, for the guineau pig info to be of anything other than "historical" use.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:20 pm

Card x 3

I received the 100k twice before and now have the 50k card. Obviously spend has not yet been made. With the second 100k card I made the $30k spend as I wanted a 2-4-1 cert for an Africa trip. I was able to book JFK-NBO RT, business one leg and first the other. I knew there would be a decent fuel surcharge but the cost of the tickets would have otherwise bee prohibitive. Of course with the NBO airport burning down yesterday I have to hope for a new terminal. We are not going until January.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:37 pm

This is going to be a close call for me. Wife and I each had BA cards that were cancelled about 16 months ago. I'm sure we'd be approved again but not so sure that I should risk resetting the clock if we don't get the bonus. Decisions, decisions.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 6:47 am

I am about to pull the trigger on this for my wife and me. I am not sure if we are going to go for the $30k on one card. The bummer is that it is per calendar year and we will not spend that much this year. So we start back at $0 in January and would have to try to get it in before the annual fee hits, although that is not the end of the world if we have to pay it to get a few more month to meet the 30k.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:03 am

Applied for this last week, instant approval, 25k limit. Was quite surprised by such a high limit. Now waiting for the card to arrive so I can start on the 2k spend requirement...
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Any chances of 100K offer coming back or it was Hailey's comet?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by flightmedic
I received the 100k twice before and now have the 50k card. Obviously spend has not yet been made. With the second 100k card I made the $30k spend as I wanted a 2-4-1 cert for an Africa trip. I was able to book JFK-NBO RT, business one leg and first the other. I knew there would be a decent fuel surcharge but the cost of the tickets would have otherwise bee prohibitive. Of course with the NBO airport burning down yesterday I have to hope for a new terminal. We are not going until January.
I have a feeling a new terminal wont be up and running by Jan.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Any chances of 100K offer coming back or it was Hailey's comet?
Chase does done this the past two years, but doesn't do it until the end of the year, so we can only hope.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:30 pm

NBO

Using tents at NBO today. Perhaps a shack by January.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.