Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please continue the discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1985871-chase-avios-earning-credit-cards-ba-air-lingus-iberia-up-100k-avios-more.html

Up to 100K Avios - 50K after $3K spend/3 mos. plus 50K after $20K spend in 12 months($95 AF)
  • https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/british-airways
New benefits (August 2019):

Now with up to $600 in statement credits for award taxes and fees PER CALENDAR YEAR. 3x$200 or 3x $100 depending on class booked. See the details for flight restrictions, etc, here:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/statement-credit

The calendar year restriction means that you can use it twice in the upcoming months, 3x on or before Dec 31 and 3x again after Jan 1 or a total of up to $1200.

10% back on flights booked at BA.com using the code CHASEBA10.
The details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/save-10percent

Avios can be combined or moved between Iberia and Air Lingus accounts.
Chase also offers sign up bonuses on Air LIngus and Iberia co-branded airline credit cards. (As of August 2019's offers both are tiered 100K Avios offers) This allows big spenders that are under 5/24 to get up to 300K in sign up bonuses, plus combine points to book at BA.com for flights and get the fuel surcharge refund and 10% off.
See the BA forum and this thread in the Chase forum for Avios earnings strategies: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1980400-anyone-else-racking-up-avios-points.html

Spending $30,000 will earn a Companion Fare "Travel Together" ticket.
Details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/travel-together/travel-together

Downgrades: Chase offers a no fee BA card. It's not available for new applications but can be accessed via a downgrade from the standard, $95 a year card. When the annual fee comes due you can downgrade/ product change to the British Airways rewards credit card with no annual fee and thereby preserve your card number, credit line and Average Age of Account. It's unclear whether the fee free card will get the new perks (August 2019) of an award fee rebate. Perhaps someone with the fee free card can make a dummy booking and update us here at FT.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously? How long do I have to wait before reapplying? Should I call if my application is held for further review and not approved instantly?
A. See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward
Q. Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?
A. Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your hotel/airline account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.
Print Wikipost

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You will not lose anything that has posted to your BA account.

However BA account itself has a life span. I dont remember it is 2 years or 3 years without activity you would lose the account and points in it. Check this area on BA site to make sure.
^Thanks Happy.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:18 pm
Suspended

According to my avios statement I got the bonus last of 50k from chase on 10-May-14. When can I apply again for this card? Is it 24months exactly so have to be approved no earlier than 10-May-14? Or is it I can get it few months before that date but not trigger the bonus earlier than 10-May-14 for me to still be eligible?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Aabey D'mello
Confirmed 50K offer after $2K spend with the no first yr annual fee link. Also bumped the offer to 100K thru SM. They've asked to notify them when I reach the $10K/$20K spend for the additional 25K/25K avios!
A bit late in reporting, but I did get the 50K bonus posted on the no annual fee link. Will update after I do the total10K spend for addtional 25K miles
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air
Originally Posted by ChuckMango
According to my avios statement I got the bonus last of 50k from chase on 10-May-14. When can I apply again for this card? Is it 24months exactly so have to be approved no earlier than 10-May-14? Or is it I can get it few months before that date but not trigger the bonus earlier than 10-May-14 for me to still be eligible?
Curious about this as well...
Old Jan 30, 2016, 8:10 am

wanted to add a data point.

Spent $30,070 on this card, but the last $95 was the annual fee. According to the offer, fees don't count. SMd Chase CSR - asked for an exception, since I was only $25 under the threshold, and was approved for the Companion Cert.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:14 pm

Does anyone know how long the 100k offers have lasted historically? Trying to get in on this before it expires but already opened my first two Chase cards (CSP/Freedom) on 1/27 while eligible under 5/24, and I understand that there is a 2-card 30 day window making me have to wait until the end of Feb.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by m1tchyj
how long the 100k offers have lasted historically? Trying to get in on this before it expires...have to wait until the end of Feb.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, m1tchyj !

Since no one else has answered your question yet, I'll tell you what I recall: the 100k offers in the past lasted several months, maybe even half a year or more. As always, though, there is no guarantee, but my feeling is that waiting another 4 weeks or so to apply should work out for you.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by muji
Welcome to FlyerTalk, m1tchyj !

Since no one else has answered your question yet, I'll tell you what I recall: the 100k offers in the past lasted several months, maybe even half a year or more. As always, though, there is no guarantee, but my feeling is that waiting another 4 weeks or so to apply should work out for you.
Thanks for the reply! Went ahead and applied for it for my wife just to be on the safe side. Got the following message, of which interpretations are welcome:

Thank you for applying. Your application requires further review before making a decision.

Here's what you can expect:

Our goal is to notify you in writing within 10 days; however, in some circumstances it may take up to 30 days.
If you are approved, you will receive your card and other important information in the mail.
Please do not resubmit this application.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by m1tchyj
Your application requires further review before making a decision...Our goal is to notify you in writing within 10 days.
You were not denied, so that's a good start.

Quite often applicants get that message, and more often than not a decision (especially if it's a decision in favor of approval) is made within just a day or two. Myself, I applied for a Chase card just two days ago, got that very same message, and the following morning when I logged into my Chase accounts I saw that the new account was already listed there (indicating that I had been approved).

So, maybe in a day or two log into Chase, assuming you already have an account with them, and hopefully your new account will be shown there. Good luck, and report back.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by muji
You were not denied, so that's a good start...So, maybe in a day or two log into Chase, assuming you already have an account with them, and hopefully your new account will be shown there. Good luck, and report back.
Update: Account went to pending due to fraud verification. Faxed in a couple documents. Should be okay.

Last edited by m1tchyj; Feb 4, 2016 at 9:06 pm
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:50 am

Does the link in the Wiki still give 50k after $2k spend with no AF?

https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...H90&PROMO=DF01

I called Chase to confirm and while they could look up the offer when I gave them the SPID she didn't know if there was any spending bonus.

Should I just apply for this? Any recent reports? I don't want to pay the $95 AF on the 100k offer and don't even care to bump-the-bonus as I probably won't spend the extra dough needed to get the extra 50k.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abcx
Does the link in the Wiki still give 50k after $2k spend with no AF?

https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...H90&PROMO=DF01

I called Chase to confirm and while they could look up the offer when I gave them the SPID she didn't know if there was any spending bonus.

Should I just apply for this? Any recent reports? I don't want to pay the $95 AF on the 100k offer and don't even care to bump-the-bonus as I probably won't spend the extra dough needed to get the extra 50k.
The zombie link probably would be killed soon now Chase is aware of its existence thanks to someone calling on it.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:18 pm

The zombie link probably would be killed soon now Chase is aware of its existence.
I never call usually but I doubt it'll be killed (the Citi AA zombie links survived forever despite people calling to confirm the bonus). And others in this thread have called before me...
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abcx
I never call usually but I doubt it'll be killed (the Citi AA zombie links survived forever despite people calling to confirm the bonus). And others in this thread have called before me...
Historically Chase takes down zombie links very quick once it knows its existence. That is how we lost the better Marriott offers, AND the 1 to 1.25 Avios earning offer.

These days Citi takes down zombie links much quicker than in the past. It does not take down all the garden varieties of the 50K offer is because all offers are essentially the same as what you would get going directly to AA or Citi site.

Here is something to keep in mind in the future

1) As long as a link continues to work, i.e. Application page shows up, you would have to either take a leap of faith trust it would work, or you decide to go for the publicly available offer instead. There is no free lunch in this game - anything better involves some risk which is just a matter of degree.

2) Since the public offer has bonus, you can always ask Chase to match the bonus. Chase cannot change your terms because it is prevented by C.A.R.D. Act that terms cannot be changed within the first 12 months of an offer - this even means they could not change from a fee offer to a no-fee offer when people wanted, other than cancel it outright and reapply.

In this case, Chase cannot change the offer to charge you fee. So you essentially have the best of both worlds, in the history of BA card offers.

Hopefully the zombie link survives so others who want to get it still have access to it.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:49 pm

Historically Chase takes down zombie links very quick once it knows its existence. That is how we lost the better Marriott offers, AND the 1 to 1.25 Avios earning offer.

These days Citi takes down zombie links much quicker than in the past. It does not take down all the garden varieties of the 50K offer is because all offers are essentially the same as what you would get going directly to AA or Citi site.

Here is something to keep in mind in the future

1) As long as a link continues to work, i.e. Application page shows up, you would have to either take a leap of faith trust it would work, or you decide to go for the publicly available offer instead. There is no free lunch in this game - anything better involves some risk which is just a matter of degree.

2) Since the public offer has bonus, you can always ask Chase to match the bonus. Chase cannot change your terms because it is prevented by C.A.R.D. Act that terms cannot be changed within the first 12 months of an offer - this even means they could not change from a fee offer to a no-fee offer when people wanted, other than cancel it outright and reapply.

In this case, Chase cannot change the offer to charge you fee. So you essentially have the best of both worlds, in the history of BA card offers.

Hopefully the zombie link survives so others who want to get it still have access to it.
Thanks, I didn't know that. I'm sorry I called. I took your advice and went ahead and applied for the offer. Looks like it is 50k after $2k spend without an AF. Let's just hope the same verbiage of no bonus received in the last 24 months applies because I have had this card before (bonus received in 2011).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.