Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please continue the discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1985871-chase-avios-earning-credit-cards-ba-air-lingus-iberia-up-100k-avios-more.html

Up to 100K Avios - 50K after $3K spend/3 mos. plus 50K after $20K spend in 12 months($95 AF)
  • https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/british-airways
New benefits (August 2019):

Now with up to $600 in statement credits for award taxes and fees PER CALENDAR YEAR. 3x$200 or 3x $100 depending on class booked. See the details for flight restrictions, etc, here:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/statement-credit

The calendar year restriction means that you can use it twice in the upcoming months, 3x on or before Dec 31 and 3x again after Jan 1 or a total of up to $1200.

10% back on flights booked at BA.com using the code CHASEBA10.
The details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/save-10percent

Avios can be combined or moved between Iberia and Air Lingus accounts.
Chase also offers sign up bonuses on Air LIngus and Iberia co-branded airline credit cards. (As of August 2019's offers both are tiered 100K Avios offers) This allows big spenders that are under 5/24 to get up to 300K in sign up bonuses, plus combine points to book at BA.com for flights and get the fuel surcharge refund and 10% off.
See the BA forum and this thread in the Chase forum for Avios earnings strategies: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1980400-anyone-else-racking-up-avios-points.html

Spending $30,000 will earn a Companion Fare "Travel Together" ticket.
Details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/travel-together/travel-together

Downgrades: Chase offers a no fee BA card. It's not available for new applications but can be accessed via a downgrade from the standard, $95 a year card. When the annual fee comes due you can downgrade/ product change to the British Airways rewards credit card with no annual fee and thereby preserve your card number, credit line and Average Age of Account. It's unclear whether the fee free card will get the new perks (August 2019) of an award fee rebate. Perhaps someone with the fee free card can make a dummy booking and update us here at FT.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously? How long do I have to wait before reapplying? Should I call if my application is held for further review and not approved instantly?
A. See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward
Q. Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?
A. Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your hotel/airline account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.
Print Wikipost

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by mia
Any confirmation that Chase is honoring that feature?
Originally Posted by BOSOGG
That would be VERY surprising given that they just eliminated it from all their existing card holders! Please let us know after you get your 1st statement.
Originally Posted by The_Wrath_of_Khan
I have it in writing. It is not surprising at all as Chase cannot negative change the card for the first 12 months, so I will earn the 1.25x rate for the first 12 months, then see it drop to 1x about the time that the annual fee posts.
Originally Posted by beltway
Would one of you who signed up for this offer please post a followup after your first statement so we can update the wiki as necessary? Thanks.
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
The 1.25 avios per dollar, now down to a 1/1 is a huge loss.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
That is huge! I was going to apply for the card but already have several Chase cards and am certainly concerned I would be turned down anyway.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 3:02 pm

I thought it was a huge loss. But then again I wont be putting more than $10K spend on it ($20K is just too much for to do and have other cards for regular spend), so its just a loss of 2500 miles, not that huge in my situation.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 5:24 pm

if you SM to ask to get bumped to 75k/100k offer from the old just 50k offer, would they add $95 fee to you? I applied using the link for old 50k no annual fee, and was approved.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
if you SM to ask to get bumped to 75k/100k offer from the old just 50k offer, would they add $95 fee to you? I applied using the link for old 50k no annual fee, and was approved.
the response to my SM didn't say anything about the fee - only the points. I assume i will not be charged the fee. but YMMV.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:07 am

DH and I were both approved through the 1.25 point/$1 link (yay!) and switched to the 100k offer through SM.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:18 am

I thought the 1.25 avios / $1 link is dead already.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold
Super bummed. Applied for this card for my DH today. Closed his last one in February. Was denied after talking to 2 reps because of 8 (or so they said) credit cards opened in the last 6 months. (Probably more like 8 in the last 12 months) Anyway, didn't matter that he had a stellar FICO and has NEVER been late for a payment and always pays in full. The agent was very curious about why he'd spend $5k then closes the cc.

Oh well. I did want a VISA card... since Costco is going VISA. Plus I could use the 100,000 miles.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by slhansen219
denied after talking to 2 reps
It's like those Six-Word Stories people concoct.

Why did you call?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
It's like those Six-Word Stories people concoct.

Why did you call?
I got the "please call we need more info" page.

Oh well... I have property taxes coming up on a couple of properties and thought that would be a quick and easy way to pickup an extra 100,000 miles. Guess I'll just put the spend on my SPG card.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:59 pm

I got the "please call we need more info" page.
If I may paraphrase Admiral Ackbar, that's a trap.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Super bummed. Applied for this card for my DH today. Closed his last one in February. Was denied after talking to 2 reps because of 8 (or so they said) credit cards opened in the last 6 months. (Probably more like 8 in the last 12 months) Anyway, didn't matter that he had a stellar FICO and has NEVER been late for a payment and always pays in full. The agent was very curious about why he'd spend $5k then closes the cc.

Oh well. I did want a VISA card... since Costco is going VISA. Plus I could use the 100,000 miles.
Do you have other Chase cards? Did you offer to close one for this card or reallocate credit line? That's what I plan to do if I get denied.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 6:53 am

Please note that the linked offer may not be a 100K offer. The poster plans to ask Chase to "bump the bonus".
Confirmed 50K offer after $2K spend with the no first yr annual fee link. Also bumped the offer to 100K thru SM. They've asked to notify them when I reach the $10K/$20K spend for the additional 25K/25K avios!
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Do you have other Chase cards? Did you offer to close one for this card or reallocate credit line? That's what I plan to do if I get denied.
I believe my DH has only one other Chase card which he has had forever. The agent seemed to realize we were churning and burning the cards. We were heavily doing the Citi cards when that was possible with the Exec cards. I think I am just SOL. I was planning on putting $10k on it immediately and the other 10k over the next few months. Plus I was planning on keeping this card to use at Costco. It's be the only Visa we'd have once Citi converts my Visa to MC. Bummer
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe my DH has only one other Chase card which he has had forever. The agent seemed to realize we were churning and burning the cards. We were heavily doing the Citi cards when that was possible with the Exec cards. I think I am just SOL. I was planning on putting $10k on it immediately and the other 10k over the next few months. Plus I was planning on keeping this card to use at Costco. It's be the only Visa we'd have once Citi converts my Visa to MC. Bummer
Pretty much so as for now.

Your downfall is caused by not reading the STICKY of this forum - hugely important as it covers CHASE APPLICATIONS and the developments since May this year (to the WORSE). Had you read the last few months' data points, you would NOT call and the app might very well work its way thru the system without a human laying eyes on it.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...5-present.html

Wait a couple months then try again - Do NOT Call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.