Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please continue the discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1985871-chase-avios-earning-credit-cards-ba-air-lingus-iberia-up-100k-avios-more.html

Up to 100K Avios - 50K after $3K spend/3 mos. plus 50K after $20K spend in 12 months($95 AF)
  • https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/british-airways
New benefits (August 2019):

Now with up to $600 in statement credits for award taxes and fees PER CALENDAR YEAR. 3x$200 or 3x $100 depending on class booked. See the details for flight restrictions, etc, here:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/statement-credit

The calendar year restriction means that you can use it twice in the upcoming months, 3x on or before Dec 31 and 3x again after Jan 1 or a total of up to $1200.

10% back on flights booked at BA.com using the code CHASEBA10.
The details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/save-10percent

Avios can be combined or moved between Iberia and Air Lingus accounts.
Chase also offers sign up bonuses on Air LIngus and Iberia co-branded airline credit cards. (As of August 2019's offers both are tiered 100K Avios offers) This allows big spenders that are under 5/24 to get up to 300K in sign up bonuses, plus combine points to book at BA.com for flights and get the fuel surcharge refund and 10% off.
See the BA forum and this thread in the Chase forum for Avios earnings strategies: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1980400-anyone-else-racking-up-avios-points.html

Spending $30,000 will earn a Companion Fare "Travel Together" ticket.
Details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/travel-together/travel-together

Downgrades: Chase offers a no fee BA card. It's not available for new applications but can be accessed via a downgrade from the standard, $95 a year card. When the annual fee comes due you can downgrade/ product change to the British Airways rewards credit card with no annual fee and thereby preserve your card number, credit line and Average Age of Account. It's unclear whether the fee free card will get the new perks (August 2019) of an award fee rebate. Perhaps someone with the fee free card can make a dummy booking and update us here at FT.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously? How long do I have to wait before reapplying? Should I call if my application is held for further review and not approved instantly?
A. See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward
Q. Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?
A. Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your hotel/airline account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.
Print Wikipost

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
So I got the $2k limit card and it is NOT a signature.

Time to test the bonus.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by sdsearch
This deal is scheduled to end Sep 30. So to be a successful guineau pig, someone needs to not only apply now, but complete the $2000 minimum spend in time enough for the bonus to have posted (if it's going to post) before Sep 30, for the guineau pig info to be of anything other than "historical" use.
Thanks to free Chase gift cards, that will be no problem. Just will depend when my first billing statement closes.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:52 am

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by gotofly
I had applied last year for 100000 avios and I just received my second 50000 after paying the $75 renewal fee so not bad to get 100000 avios for $150
I had the same offer. And the second 50k just posted to my BA account.

I wasn't sure I'd get the second 50k, because last year, I had an agent take some CL from that card to approve another card, dropping the CL to below $5k thereby changing my card from Visa signature to a regular signature.

What I'm wondering at this point is that since Chase gives us two months to cancel and get the entire fee refunded or wait and get a prorated amount...Maybe I could just cancel it, and get the better part of the fee back.

Would the second 50k be taken away?

Last edited by jatink129; Aug 12, 2013 at 9:14 pm
Old Aug 13, 2013, 2:19 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

This thread will run in MilesBuzz! until the offer expires 9.30.2013. Please subscribe to easily follow when it returns to Credit Card Programs.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by mia
This thread will run in MilesBuzz! until the offer expires 9.30.2013.
but isn't 50K miles their standard offer?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:56 am
mia

Originally Posted by Rinzler
but isn't 50K miles their standard offer?
It is, but the annual fee waiver is not. Moving the thread into MilesBuzz! is a test to see if that difference alone generates buzz.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:18 am

I thought the 1st yr fee waiver always existed... (?)
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:03 am
mia

Originally Posted by pkoo
Not if the information in posts #4 and #5 is accurate.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by pkoo
I haven't seen a fee waiver for a BA card with a 50K or 100K bonus in, at least, the past two years.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: OneWorld, SkyTeam, StarAlliance
Originally Posted by aap
It will be interesting to hear from other recent BA Visa applicants if Chase will be willing to refund the 1st year annual fee.

I've been holding off on applying for the BA card, but will likely pull the trigger during my next churn with no 1st year annual fee now.
I applied and was approved in June when the offer was 50k Avios with $1k spend but AF not waived. After seeing this offer, I called CS and was told there's nothing he could do, "offer was only good at the time you applied". I called CS again a couple days later. This time CSR told me he could not change the offer but will submit request on my behalf to the Marketing dept and I should hear from them in mail in about a week. Nothing happened in a week. I sent a secure MSG at Chase.com yesterday to plead a match. Today I rec'd MSG that AF will be waived. Persistence pays!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 3:09 pm

Chase BA 50000 Got the Card, Denied the Points

I obtained the 100,000 Avios from the first offer a while ago, did it again for 50,000 more points about a year ago and with the spend for a total of 100,000 and cancelled that card about 6-9 months ago. Just got the new card for 50,000 points, made the spend, and received a postcard in the mail that as a prior customer I am not eligible for the current offer. Called for reconsideration as the landing page does not mention this and was declined. Had to cancel the card.

Last edited by flightmedic; Aug 22, 2013 at 3:16 pm
Old Aug 22, 2013, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by flightmedic
I obtained the 100,000 Avios from the first offer a while ago, did it again for 50,000 more points about a year ago and with the spend for a total of 100,000 and cancelled that card about 6-9 months ago. Just got the new card for 50,000 points, mad the spend, and received a postcard in the mail that as a prior customer I am not eligible for,the current offer. Called for reconsideration as the landing page does not mention this and was declined. Had to cancel the card.
It is well known that this is Chase's policy exactly...unfortunately.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
same thing happened to my wife -- made the 100,000 up thru the AMEX GOLD card 50,000 promo and now will get another 50,000 thru the SPG promo and with a lot less spend.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 4:25 pm
mia

... Called for reconsideration as the landing page does not mention this ...
Seems to be mentioned:

This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I obtained the 100,000 Avios from the first offer a while ago, did it again for 50,000 more points about a year ago and with the spend for a total of 100,000 and cancelled that card about 6-9 months ago. Just got the new card for 50,000 points, made the spend, and received a postcard in the mail that as a prior customer I am not eligible for the current offer. Called for reconsideration as the landing page does not mention this and was declined. Had to cancel the card.
You have to wait 18 months before you can get the bonus again. I just cancelled my BA card, I know I have to wait 18 months before I can get the points

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.