Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please continue the discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1985871-chase-avios-earning-credit-cards-ba-air-lingus-iberia-up-100k-avios-more.html

Up to 100K Avios - 50K after $3K spend/3 mos. plus 50K after $20K spend in 12 months($95 AF)
  • https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/british-airways
New benefits (August 2019):

Now with up to $600 in statement credits for award taxes and fees PER CALENDAR YEAR. 3x$200 or 3x $100 depending on class booked. See the details for flight restrictions, etc, here:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/statement-credit

The calendar year restriction means that you can use it twice in the upcoming months, 3x on or before Dec 31 and 3x again after Jan 1 or a total of up to $1200.

10% back on flights booked at BA.com using the code CHASEBA10.
The details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/save-10percent

Avios can be combined or moved between Iberia and Air Lingus accounts.
Chase also offers sign up bonuses on Air LIngus and Iberia co-branded airline credit cards. (As of August 2019's offers both are tiered 100K Avios offers) This allows big spenders that are under 5/24 to get up to 300K in sign up bonuses, plus combine points to book at BA.com for flights and get the fuel surcharge refund and 10% off.
See the BA forum and this thread in the Chase forum for Avios earnings strategies: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1980400-anyone-else-racking-up-avios-points.html

Spending $30,000 will earn a Companion Fare "Travel Together" ticket.
Details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/travel-together/travel-together

Downgrades: Chase offers a no fee BA card. It's not available for new applications but can be accessed via a downgrade from the standard, $95 a year card. When the annual fee comes due you can downgrade/ product change to the British Airways rewards credit card with no annual fee and thereby preserve your card number, credit line and Average Age of Account. It's unclear whether the fee free card will get the new perks (August 2019) of an award fee rebate. Perhaps someone with the fee free card can make a dummy booking and update us here at FT.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously? How long do I have to wait before reapplying? Should I call if my application is held for further review and not approved instantly?
A. See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward
Q. Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?
A. Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your hotel/airline account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.
Print Wikipost

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by ChuckMango
Did you get the bonus previously? Also where is the link for the non sig version?
It's my first time so that wasn't an issue. There was no different link. I just had been getting a lot of credit from chase lately and I'm young so I just got a lower approval. I hit the spend and they were happy to confirm the bonus. Nothing to be received until October or so.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 12:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ChuckMango
If you have received the bonus miles before does his preclude you from getting it again?
Officially, no.

In practice, yes, if wait long enough after canceling the previous account. How long? Read the thread for anecdotal reports and form your own opinion.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by giblet
How long is it taking most people to receive the card after applying and being approved? I'm holding off on buying a flight until mine arrives and it's been 9 days...
usually 7 days, however, with the holiday might be longer.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: Far too many
Ms. Travel Light got one with a 3K limit.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA, DL, most hotels etc
Got one in the US: 50,000 if you spend $5,000 in the first three months. Also a few other bonuses. www.getchaseink.com or (in the US) call 800-882-6751.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 6:48 am

Programs: All of em...
Data point:

Churned successfully!
I got this card in 2011 on the 100k bonus. Canceled a year later on the annual fee. Applied early Aug for this offer w/the same ffn, address, etc.. Approved. Used those handy CGC's, statement posted yesterday and 52,500 Avios posted to my account this morning. If you got this card in 2011 and haven't churned it again since, get in while there's no annual fee, water is warm!
Old Sep 5, 2013, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by x712xdamx
Data point:

Churned successfully!
I got this card in 2011 on the 100k bonus. Canceled a year later on the annual fee. Applied early Aug for this offer w/the same ffn, address, etc.. Approved. Used those handy CGC's, statement posted yesterday and 52,500 Avios posted to my account this morning. If you got this card in 2011 and haven't churned it again since, get in while there's no annual fee, water is warm!
Congrats.

Can you give more specific dates on application/approval/closure of the previous card?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:36 am

Applied 100k offer March, 2011.
Canceled March, 2012 for AF.

Applied 50k offer no AF Aug 2013
Received bonus Sep 2013.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:56 am

I had a card from May, 2011. I closed the card and a week later applied for this offer and was approved (with a higher limit). I called to confirm and was told that I was eligible for the 50k mile bonus after I spend $2k. Will let you know if I actually get the bonus, but looks good so far.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Just took advantage of this offer myself as I've been building up miles on Sapphire/Ink to move to BA as I have status on AA. Hit my limit of total credit with Chase but they were able to move some credit over (actually I closed an old Explorer card I had downgraded to a normal United Miles card since I wasn't using it). But didn't have any problems and she confirmed the 50K bonus appeared on account. Just need the card now to buy some Vanilla Reloads.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by linkerbox
Just need the card now to buy some Vanilla Reloads.
Not sure what those are. Don't you mean "beans"?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Applied 100k offer March, 2011.
Canceled March, 2012 for AF.

Applied 50k offer no AF Aug 2013
Received bonus Sep 2013.
Congrats and thank you for posting the valuable tidbits.

Avios are great for shorthaul intra-Europe, intra-Asia and intra-Africa flights and that are all we use them for. All our MR pts are also transferred to BA during bonus times.

I am still debating whether to go for it or not. Timeline wise we should be fine as we only got the first 100K version back in late 2009. Cards canceled at anniversary. (Chase waived the first year annual fee due to some SNAFU they made when issuing the cards, but no retention offer at anniversary despite cards saw some good spend.)

However we have long maxed out Chase lines and have always needed to call recon to move lines. While each time it was successful sometimes it was not a pleasant experience. OTOH, I only have 2 Chase apps this year - one in March and one in July. Husband only has 1 Chase app this year in July. I may wait till last week of September to apply. 50K and 1.25 earning rate is reasonably good.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 6, 2013 at 2:28 pm
Old Sep 6, 2013, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I am still debating whether to go for it or not. Timeline wise we should be fine as we only got the first 100K version back in late 2009. Cards canceled at anniversary. (Chase waived the first year annual fee due to some SNAFU they made when issuing the cards, but no retention offer at anniversary despite cards saw some good spend.)

However we have long maxed out Chase lines and have always needed to call recon to move lines. While each time it was successful sometimes it was not a pleasant experience. OTOH, I only have 2 Chase apps this year - one in March and one in July. Husband only has 1 Chase app this year in July. I may wait till last week of September to apply. 50K and 1.25 earning rate is reasonably good.
Now is a good time to get in on it while chase is still waiving fees on those handy gc's...
Old Sep 6, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now is a good time to get in on it while chase is still waiving fees on those handy gc's...
Spend is not an issue. The waived 1st year annual fee is attractive and 50K Avios is actually more useful than 50K AA miles these days.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 4:13 pm

I've heard that you could churn Chase cards in two years after card closed. However, a few posts above may indicated that you could churn in two years after card opening. Interesting. We may need more data here.

I opened the BA card in May 2011, and closed it in Jan 2013. May tried it some time later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.