Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rental car insurance when paid with UR points?

Rental car insurance when paid with UR points?

Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by yugi
Not true. If you pay with points from CSR, you're covered.
I'd like to see some empirical evidence to back this up. I'm not 'sold' yet. If someone has done this and then had a claim I'd like to hear from them.

Originally Posted by pallhedge
IIRC, MMS's source was just a rep on the 800 line (disclosed in the comments of that blog post). TPG's source, I believe, was MMS. Though they may be right, I trust neither. Until I have more concrete proof, I pay for all my car rentals.
Agree. Why take a chance

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Last year, I booked a cheap flight using UR points through the portal. On the receipt, I could see that it was paid for using a Chase card, but not my Chase card.
Interesting...
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:25 pm

What if you were to book the rental with n-1 points and use your card to pay for 1 cent of the rental? Isn't this akin to paying the fees on a frequent flier redemption and still having the travel insurance benefits attach?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Bobberjet
What if you were to book the rental with n-1 points and use your card to pay for 1 cent of the rental? Isn't this akin to paying the fees on a frequent flier redemption and still having the travel insurance benefits attach?
This is my question too - any insight on this? I have more points than dollars right now prefer to use them whenever I can...
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I used my Hertz points to pay for a car rental in July and used my Chase Ultimate Rewards Points to pay the taxes (about $40) on the rental. Hit a pole with about $700 and Chase covered it with no problems.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by holocker
I used my Hertz points to pay for a car rental in July and used my Chase Ultimate Rewards Points to pay the taxes (about $40) on the rental. Hit a pole with about $700 and Chase covered it with no problems.
Good data point but it would be great if someone, who paid 100% with UR pts, had a claim & would report the results here. I would hope Chase would cover in any situation.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Alaska, American, United
Originally Posted by philemer
Good data point but it would be great if someone, who paid 100% with UR pts, had a claim & would report the results here. I would hope Chase would cover in any situation.
I'd like to know the answer myself. I booked a standard with Alamo for an upcoming 5 day trip to KOA for $187 at Costcotravel.com. However, on Chase UR, I could get a standard with Dollar for 11,058 points! (All my points are in CSR). I was thinking about paying for part of the rental with the Chase CSR, so that I could at least claim that I used my Chase CSR to pay for the rental. The Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits does not give any information on primary rental coverage for cars that are booked 100% with UR points.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:11 pm

On a related note, I called the benefits line yesterday to verify that using a discount or coupon would not void the rental club when I paid using my CSR. As long as the coupon doesn't exceed the daily rate, which could make the coupon considered a free day, you're good. For instance, I had 2 weekend reservations coming up at National, one with a $50 daily rate, and one with a $17 daily rate. I used the $20 off 3 day weekend coupon on the $50 daily rate rental, but I wouldn't risk it with the $17 daily rate rental. A 4 day premium rental for under $110 is good enough for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.