Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: der_saeufer
Why should I keep my CSP?
Possible reasons to keep the card include
  • ability to earn 2 UR points/dollar on travel & dining expenses
  • primary insurance coverage on rental cars
    • See post #369 for an example of how this has real financial value
  • 7% annual dividend (Note that this benefit ends in early 2016 with the award of the 2015 dividend.)
  • no forex fees
  • ability to transfer points at 1:1 (in many cases instantly) to a wide range of airline & hotel partners
  • the potential difficulty in being approved again later for a second CSP
  • synergy with Freedom or other Chase card earning UR points
  • you are among the few customers who receive a retention bonus offsetting the cost of the annual fee

For additional details, see the CSP Benefits Guide.
Why should I cancel my CSP?
Possible reasons to cancel the card include
  • lack of interest in the UR transfer partner programs (or you hold, or will hold, another transfer-eligible premium card, such as the Ink Plus)
  • you have a no-fee Freedom card to which you can transfer (and warehouse at no cost) your UR points
  • you plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card
  • you would rather use a 2% cashback card for most spending
  • benefits of the card in your particular circumstances are outweighed by the annual fee
Why should I downgrade my CSP?
Possible reasons to downgrade the card include
  • Opened a new CSR account for that sweet, sweet bonus. The CSP offers nothing that the CSR doesn't, so there's little point in keeping both--the AF is refunded in full if you downgrade within 60 days. There are conflicting reports of prorated refunds for downgrades >60 days after the fee is charged. AF refunds generally post within a day or two.
  • You plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card, but have a UR balance you want to keep
  • You're waiting out 5/24 to get CSR and you don't want to pay the CSP AF
What can I downgrade to (no AF), and why would I want to?
  • Sapphire (non-preferred). Not much point in this. No UR transfers to partners, 2x on dining, 1x on everything else. This card no longer exists for new customers, but it was still a downgrade option from CSP as of 9/16.
  • Freedom. 5x bonus categories, rotating by quarter, 1x on everything else. If you downgrade and activate the bonus, you'll get the bonus retroactive to the beginning of the quarter. When they overlap, you get both (e.g. Jul-Sep '16 restaurants paid with CSP pre-downgrade get base points plus 1 extra from CSP and 4 extra from Freedom)
  • Freedom Unlimited. 1.5x on everything.
And, of course, if you have CSR you can move the UR earned with the other cards to the CSR and transfer it to partners. Likewise, if you re-apply or PC to CSP, you can transfer points earned with F or FU to partners as well.

When downgrading, the card number does not change, but the expiration date and CVV will. The downgraded account retains the same credit limit and opening date, so it doesn't change AAoA nor count towards 5/24.

What's the best use of UR points?
Please read about/discuss this issue in Best use of Ultimate Rewards points [Consolidated].
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Sapphire (Chase) can "spook" points. Not sure that Discover can. Certainly Citi and AMEX are less than spookworthy.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
I have Sapphire, Freedom and Ink bold, all have separate UR accounts, Should I consolidate these points into one account? If yes, which one?
Consolidate your UR points into the account that gives you the most value per point at time of redemption.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:11 pm

I have Sapphire, Freedom and Ink bold, all have separate UR accounts, Should I consolidate these points into one account? If yes, which one?
When you go to combine accounts, if you have a business acct (Ink Bold) they will make you use your Ink Bold login as the default one to move all your accounts to. This is assuming you'd like to have all your accounts under one username instead of logging in separately for each one.

As far as consolidating points, it won't matter which account you consolidate them to since they are all linked to you anyway. One wouldn't be any better than the other.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, A3 *A Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat
Thanks for all the wonderful feedback.

I have downgraded the card to the $0 annual fee non-preferred and should receive a refund of the $95.

Now, time to keep an eye out for any of the following situations:

1) Sapphire Preferred MC - better than 40,000 bonus offer
2) Ink Bold - better than $10,000 in 3 months offer
3) Approaching demand to transfer point to an airline, then pick one of the above.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Sapphire (Chase) can "spook" points. Not sure that Discover can. Certainly Citi and AMEX are less than spookworthy.

Total newbie here. What do you mean by spooking points?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by civico
When you go to combine accounts, if you have a business acct (Ink Bold) they will make you use your Ink Bold login as the default one to move all your accounts to. This is assuming you'd like to have all your accounts under one username instead of logging in separately for each one.

As far as consolidating points, it won't matter which account you consolidate them to since they are all linked to you anyway. One wouldn't be any better than the other.
I need to transfer some UR points to United Explorer account. Any of the cards freedom, sapphire, ink bold restricts the transfer?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by FilmYak
Total newbie here. What do you mean by spooking points?
Yes... I keep coming back here for the answer ...
Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:39 am

I need to transfer some UR points to United Explorer account. Any of the cards freedom, sapphire, ink bold restricts the transfer?
You want to transfer UR points to United miles? Any card that gives you UR points will transfer to United, so you could use the UR points you have with your Sapphire Preferred or with your Ink Bold. They are both part of the Ultimate Rewards program, and so they both transfer to United.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:58 am

My 2nd year fee hit. I use this card heavily, somewhere about $50k spent the last year. They were firm on not removing the fee. Wanted me to downgrade to the non-preferred card without all the benefits.

Wouldn't even give me bonus points, NOTHING.

Maybe another call to CS?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: Several dozen
The answer will never be posted on the public board. Spooking is black ops. All the good stuff is going that direction. Afraid the mint fiasco cost alot of folks too many millions in lost opportunity.

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Yes... I keep coming back here for the answer ...
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:39 am

Cancel or downgrade Chase Sapphire Preferred?

I'm trying to decide whether to downgrade my Chase Sapphire to the no-fee version or cancel (I am considering applying for another Chase card so I would ask to have the credit line transferred to the new card). I also have the Ink Bold, so UR points and transfer options are protected.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Several discussion of the same topic have been merged.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Ibotta, Southwest A-List
Yes, I am new to using the Discover car so am unclear on how the cash back will work. I was also told that overseas purchases was unable for any bonus promotions, though the current statement only has overseas transactions and they definitely received 5% cashback.
Discover is on top of their game this year!! They are doing a London promo right now for 2% back ON TOP OF the 5% Category promo all summer plus an ATM fee-free promo AND No Forex Fees...
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:19 pm

Cancel / downgrade Chase card before or after applying for other chase card?

I know there are several threads about cancelling or downgrading credit cards, but I can't seem to figure out the best order to do things in this situation.

I want to get rid of my chase Saphire Preffered. I will likely downgrade it to the Saphire (regular). I also want to apply for the Chase British Airways card.

I also want to cancel or downgrade my Citi AAdvantage Visa and Amex and I want to apply for the Citi Thankyou card.

Should I first apply for the new cards? Or should I first try to downgrade my current cards? Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:36 pm

Probably apply first, then cancel but it depends how much time you have to play with before your annual fee hits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.