Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: der_saeufer
Why should I keep my CSP?
Possible reasons to keep the card include
  • ability to earn 2 UR points/dollar on travel & dining expenses
  • primary insurance coverage on rental cars
    • See post #369 for an example of how this has real financial value
  • 7% annual dividend (Note that this benefit ends in early 2016 with the award of the 2015 dividend.)
  • no forex fees
  • ability to transfer points at 1:1 (in many cases instantly) to a wide range of airline & hotel partners
  • the potential difficulty in being approved again later for a second CSP
  • synergy with Freedom or other Chase card earning UR points
  • you are among the few customers who receive a retention bonus offsetting the cost of the annual fee

For additional details, see the CSP Benefits Guide.
Why should I cancel my CSP?
Possible reasons to cancel the card include
  • lack of interest in the UR transfer partner programs (or you hold, or will hold, another transfer-eligible premium card, such as the Ink Plus)
  • you have a no-fee Freedom card to which you can transfer (and warehouse at no cost) your UR points
  • you plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card
  • you would rather use a 2% cashback card for most spending
  • benefits of the card in your particular circumstances are outweighed by the annual fee
Why should I downgrade my CSP?
Possible reasons to downgrade the card include
  • Opened a new CSR account for that sweet, sweet bonus. The CSP offers nothing that the CSR doesn't, so there's little point in keeping both--the AF is refunded in full if you downgrade within 60 days. There are conflicting reports of prorated refunds for downgrades >60 days after the fee is charged. AF refunds generally post within a day or two.
  • You plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card, but have a UR balance you want to keep
  • You're waiting out 5/24 to get CSR and you don't want to pay the CSP AF
What can I downgrade to (no AF), and why would I want to?
  • Sapphire (non-preferred). Not much point in this. No UR transfers to partners, 2x on dining, 1x on everything else. This card no longer exists for new customers, but it was still a downgrade option from CSP as of 9/16.
  • Freedom. 5x bonus categories, rotating by quarter, 1x on everything else. If you downgrade and activate the bonus, you'll get the bonus retroactive to the beginning of the quarter. When they overlap, you get both (e.g. Jul-Sep '16 restaurants paid with CSP pre-downgrade get base points plus 1 extra from CSP and 4 extra from Freedom)
  • Freedom Unlimited. 1.5x on everything.
And, of course, if you have CSR you can move the UR earned with the other cards to the CSR and transfer it to partners. Likewise, if you re-apply or PC to CSP, you can transfer points earned with F or FU to partners as well.

When downgrading, the card number does not change, but the expiration date and CVV will. The downgraded account retains the same credit limit and opening date, so it doesn't change AAoA nor count towards 5/24.

What's the best use of UR points?
Please read about/discuss this issue in Best use of Ultimate Rewards points [Consolidated].
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by fungusamungus
What are you guys downgrading to, assuming you are, since the regular Sapphire is now dead?
Originally Posted by Mixmaster300
I downgraded from the CSP to the no fee Sapphire about a year ago. I called Chase this afternoon and asked if the Sapphire was going away. The C.S. Rep seemed shocked and said they were still offering the no fee Sapphire and it was not going away. I think he may have been wrong. Searching the forums and the web I could not find any Sapphire apps. When I would find a link and click on it, I would be taken to a CSP app.
As mentioned by fungusamungus, there is no SP on the Chase website anymore. Mixmaster300, if you are able to convert to SP even though it is not advertised anymore, please post your results.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by rainpoolps
My question is: if I cancel and downgrade my CSP to regular Sapphire, will it stop me from getting sign-up bonus for CSP again if I apply after 24 months? Thanks.
Yes
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:43 pm

CSP to CS

I downgraded to regular Chase Sapphire via secure message. Got it a week ago and it is a plastic blue sapphire looking card with a chip. It looks like the metal CSP, just without being made of metal. They said I could still use my old CSP until I got it, and I have been using that (kinda got attached to the heavy card).

I'm hoping to upgrade or reapply for CSP after I hit 24 months and hopefully by the time they have full Chip + Pin.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
regular CS (not CSP) has no ability to transfer UR to partners, right?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
That is correct.

I contacted chase regarding to lowering my annual fee from $125 to $95 and they wouldn't budge (I would've paid $95 to keep it), but they offered to downgrade me to the regular sapphire card.

Question: I've had the CSP for a year now, so If I downgrade to the regular sapphire, would I eligible for the bonus again in 1 year (24 years since account approval)?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by winsteven13
Question: I've had the CSP for a year now, so If I downgrade to the regular sapphire, would I eligible for the bonus again in 1 year (24 years since account approval)?
Depends as in most (but not all cases) keeping the no fee Reg Sapphire still keeps the old acct open so could make you ineligible for future bonus as long as you have ANY Sapphire card open.
Data: Wife had downgraded her card to Reg. Sapphire over a yr ago when AF was due, and original bonus was over 24 mths ago. She recently applied for another Sapp. Prefer and was pending--call to recon 2 days later and was rejected for already having the card, So having the regular card prevented her from getting another Preferred card. Some have reported able to get another while having a regular open. Just saying you have a better chance if you no longer have any Sapphires open. So YMMV
Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by sharka
Depends as in most (but not all cases) keeping the no fee Reg Sapphire still keeps the old acct open so could make you ineligible for future bonus as long as you have ANY Sapphire card open.
Data: Wife had downgraded her card to Reg. Sapphire over a yr ago when AF was due, and original bonus was over 24 mths ago. She recently applied for another Sapp. Prefer and was pending--call to recon 2 days later and was rejected for already having the card, So having the regular card prevented her from getting another Preferred card. Some have reported able to get another while having a regular open. Just saying you have a better chance if you no longer have any Sapphires open. So YMMV
How about converting to Freedom?
Old Nov 29, 2014, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by sharka
Thanks! I think I'll be cancelling the card..
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by italdesign
That's correct. For more info, see the wiki & discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...mes-rules.html.

Originally Posted by winsteven13
Question: I've had the CSP for a year now, so If I downgrade to the regular sapphire, would I eligible for the bonus again in 1 year (24 [months] since account approval)?
No, because the new Chase T&C require a wait of 24 months from the date you received the previous bonus on the same card. For much discussion (and a wiki summarizing the latest collective wisdom), see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...solidated.html.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: Regal Crown Club
My CSP has been closed today. All but $500 of the CL has been transferred to my Freedom account.

I had asked them before if I could upgrade my Freedom to the VS version - they said it is a VS already. Did they upgrade all Freedom at some point in the past without sending new cards? I still have the same card from when I openend it (expires end of '15) and it doesn't have the Signature logo in the bottom right corner...
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:52 pm

My CSP annual fee posted on 12.1. How long do I have to cancel the card with a full refund? 30 days or 60? Thank you.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
My CSP has been closed today. All but $500 of the CL has been transferred to my Freedom account.

I had asked them before if I could upgrade my Freedom to the VS version - they said it is a VS already. Did they upgrade all Freedom at some point in the past without sending new cards? I still have the same card from when I openend it (expires end of '15) and it doesn't have the Signature logo in the bottom right corner...
Technically if you have a Visa card that has at least $5K in CL, you have a VS card. I think just because they didn't send you a new card doesn't mean that you don't currently have the VS benefits.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by ericliujian
My CSP annual fee posted on 12.1. How long do I have to cancel the card with a full refund? 30 days or 60? Thank you.
I'm in the same boat and plan on canceling. I just need to transfer my remaining UR points to Marriott first. I think it's 60 days.

I know Marriott isn't the best transfer partner, but I already have a 5 night stay booked in Hawaii for 160k pts and need 18k more pts to meet 160k.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by pitching51
I'm in the same boat and plan on canceling. I just need to transfer my remaining UR points to Marriott first. I think it's 60 days.

I know Marriott isn't the best transfer partner, but I already have a 5 night stay booked in Hawaii for 160k pts and need 18k more pts to meet 160k.
Are you sure it is 60 days? So I could wait until 1.30?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:24 pm

My $125 annual fee hit today.. I have 60 days to convert/cancel it so I can be credited for the fee. Debating if I should downgrade to the regular sapphire for about a year then cancel and reapply for the CSP again.

I currently have the Ink Plus, Freedom, and United card. Though I am interested in the British Airways card, but I think I might have too much credit with chase at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.