FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   New Ritz Carlton Credit card - metal with ugly font? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1471323-new-ritz-carlton-credit-card-metal-ugly-font.html)

inac May 29, 2013 6:18 pm

New Ritz Carlton Credit card - metal with ugly font?

Just received new RC card in mail and I have to say it looks ugly.

There's no card number listed on the front side. Everything is compressed on the backside, and for some reason they're not using hte nice print font on the old RC card but this ugly bold font.

The card actually looks like it's experimental or in beta.

There's also card glue all over where they tried sticking the smartchip on.

The card type appears to be a newer version of Chase's carbon cards, but the new card isn't carbon... it's actually a pretty heavy piece of metal.

4147-24-470-01 (old one: 4147-04-370-04)

I still haven't tested if the old one or the new one is actually bullet-proof.

austin_modern May 31, 2013 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by inac (Post 20832954)

There's no card number listed on the front side. Everything is compressed on the backside, and for some reason they're not using hte nice print font on the old RC card but this ugly bold font.

The card type appears to be a newer version of Chase's carbon cards, but the new card isn't carbon... it's actually a pretty heavy piece of metal.

just got mine today... they're quite a bit heavier than the prior ones, which is probably going to cause problems.

ekwang Jun 1, 2013 3:47 pm

I am guessing it'll of similar composition to the CSP, Club and Marriott cards. From what others have read they are tough to destroy and do not go down without a fight.

austin_modern Jun 1, 2013 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by ekwang (Post 20849017)
I am guessing it'll of similar composition to the CSP, Club and Marriott cards. From what others have read they are tough to destroy and do not go down without a fight.

no, its much much much heavier than the CSP. its also mechanically designed differently.

pkoo Jun 3, 2013 9:53 pm

can you post a picture of the chip area? How did they get it on there smoothly if its metal?

tods27 Jun 4, 2013 9:31 am

Originally Posted by ekwang (Post 20849017)

When you get a replacement card, Chase sends out postage paid envelopes to return the cards to them for destruction (of course, if you just call to cancel the card, you don't get one of the envelopes).

My CSP, United Club and Marriott cards are all basically plastic sandwiched metal. The Marriott card has the number on the front and a smart chip, but all of the cards are the same weight. The Marriott card chip seems to be embedded in the plastic.

tys90 Jun 4, 2013 2:44 pm

I was confused by the glue all over mine. I agree that it is rather ugly. The Marriott card is much better despite being very similar IMO

cashmccall Jun 20, 2013 10:14 am

it is ridiculously heavy...i carry my amex and 1 chase card in an iphone wallet thing. the metal slides out....so i am debating on not carrying the card and just using it for travel (but not everyday).

listen, chase/ritz, if you want to say CLASS just make a card with classy benefits that everyone wants. you could print on a brick and it still wouldnt make the card feel any higher class.

cardtracker Jun 20, 2013 7:11 pm

Chase is trying to separate the premium card brands issued under JP Morgan (e.g., Ritz and Palladium) from the normal Chase cards. Having both the Ritz and Palladium cards, the movement has been to metal for both to lend the luxe image

Nick92 Jun 20, 2013 7:14 pm

Can anyone post a pic? Also curious to see it. I wonder if JP Morgan Select will be issued as metal.

deviantdesi Jun 21, 2013 1:15 pm

Card Pic Link

I would say, this is the new one:

http://mypalladiumcard.com/new-j-p-m...-carlton-card/

SuperKirby Aug 16, 2013 12:06 pm

That's so sad, I Lol'd.

kebosabi Aug 16, 2013 1:42 pm

There's no card number listed on the front side. Everything is compressed on the backside

I honestly don't understand the fascination of getting rid of embossed numbers and replacing them with printed numbers on the back. It's actually reducing backwards compatibility by having cards unable to be used with imprinters. They may not see much use in the US today, but it's a good idea to keep things intact the way they are in places and instances where imprinters can still be used.

Originally Posted by pkoo (Post 20861775)
can you post a picture of the chip area? How did they get it on there smoothly if its metal?

Well, on the plus side, there's more debunked excuses that Chase says when they have trouble incorporating the EMV chip to the CSP now. :D

Us: Why isn't there an EMV chip on the CSP?
Chase: Because it's made out of metal.

And you use metal cards on Ritz Carlton, Marriott Rewards Premier, and your Palladium cards which all somehow managed to get the EMV chip onto them? :rolleyes:

SuperKirby Aug 16, 2013 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 21285714)
And you use metal cards on Ritz Carlton, Marriott Rewards Premier, and your Palladium cards which all somehow managed to get the EMV chip onto them? :rolleyes:

Exactly. And just to be even more specific, the new Ritz and Palladium are made of the "same metal", both has EMV. The Marriott Premier is made of the same material as the CSP, and has EMV.

pkoo Aug 17, 2013 7:09 am

Originally Posted by deviantdesi (Post 20965820)

Where is the CC#?