Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Heads Up: New United Explorer Card Benefit - No Foreign Transaction Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads Up: New United Explorer Card Benefit - No Foreign Transaction Fees

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ok2uselane
+1

+2
Old May 22, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ric_wx
How about the Mileage Plus Select card?

Also, to best assist the international traveler, why not offer chip and PIN?
+1
Old May 22, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Also, to best assist the international traveler, why not offer chip and PIN?
Chase and most of the big US banks are really intransigent on shouldering the upfront infrastructure costs to join the rest of the civilized world with chip-and-PIN. Not sure if partners like UA have enough sway with the issuers to change that.
Old May 22, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Obviously as someone who lives overseas this is a very nice benefit. I just with the SPG amex would go no forex.

Thanks UA.
Old May 22, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I like this change even though I don't have the card. The chip and PIN technology is slowly coming to the US, and there are a few credit cards that do offer it. I found a blog that talks about it, but I'm not sure how accurate it is:
http://creditcardforum.com/blog/chip...dit-cards-usa/
Old May 22, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Chase and most of the big US banks are really intransigent on shouldering the upfront infrastructure costs to join the rest of the civilized world with chip-and-PIN. Not sure if partners like UA have enough sway with the issuers to change that.

I thought the issue wasn't just the banks, but the stores that would need new terminals. Of course *they* don't want to pay, so the banks would have to.
Old May 22, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I found a thread here on FT regarding cards:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...signature.html
Old May 22, 2013, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
So long as I have $0 fraud liability, the rest of the world can keep chip and pin and I'll enjoy the freewheeling American world of swipe-and-go.
Old May 22, 2013, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
It is a nice enhancement, and I guess it is nice to have the option, but I will still be reaching for Chase Sapphire Preferred card when overseas.

No Foreign Transaction Fees PLUS possible 2x bonus for travel and dining spend...and the points transfer 1:1 for UA miles.....

Am I missing something? Is the UA Explorer card a better option under some circumstances for Foreign transactions?
Old May 22, 2013, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goodeats21

Am I missing something? Is the UA Explorer card a better option under some circumstances for Foreign transactions?
No you're not missing anything. Sapphire is a better card. The only possible advantage of spend on the Explorer card is the annual bonus. But I think they gave me 10,000 miles for $20,000 in spend last year, which is really kind of pathetic.
Old May 22, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by drewguy
I thought the issue wasn't just the banks, but the stores that would need new terminals. Of course *they* don't want to pay, so the banks would have to.
Not really - Chase wouldn't be removing the mag stripe, so the existing POS terminals would work just fine. (Plus, retailers haven't exactly balked at adding NFC to their POS terminals...) The end result of adding chip & pin would give you something like the old Amex BLUE card:
Old May 22, 2013, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
So long as I have $0 fraud liability, the rest of the world can keep chip and pin and I'll enjoy the freewheeling American world of swipe-and-go.
Travel much in Europe? No chip and pin is a huge drag. Swiping is more or less forbidden in the Netherlands, and exceptions are frowned upon if tolerated at all. Even for pedestrian destinations like London you have problems, in that none of the public transport kiosks will accept a swipe card and you have to provide ID after waiting in the long lines to top up or purchase transit fare. It's a problem every trip for me and has been for some time.

Originally Posted by Critic
Not really - Chase wouldn't be removing the mag stripe, so the existing POS terminals would work just fine. (Plus, retailers haven't exactly balked at adding NFC to their POS terminals...) The end result of adding chip & pin would give you something like the old Amex BLUE card:
I was told the swipe cards cost less than $1 to produce, and the chip and pin cards $3-$4. Multiply this by millions of cards and it gets into money, based on the % that actually get used overseas.

Would be nice if they would at least offer one if asked. This is a TRAVEL affinity card no less...
Old May 22, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Is fraud liability protection less in other parts of the world (i.e., for cards issued in other countries)? I could see why the cost of Chip and Pin would be something consumers would demand there.
Old May 22, 2013, 1:38 pm

Travel much in Europe? No chip and pin is a huge drag. Swiping is more or less forbidden in the Netherlands, and exceptions are frowned upon if tolerated at all. Even for pedestrian destinations like London you have problems, in that none of the public transport kiosks will accept a swipe card and you have to provide ID after waiting in the long lines to top up or purchase transit fare. It's a problem every trip for me and has been for some time.
Totally agree, and I have a chip and pin card for this purpose. I was responding about the prospect of adoping chip and pin domestically.

Originally Posted by drewguy
Is fraud liability protection less in other parts of the world (i.e., for cards issued in other countries)? I could see why the cost of Chip and Pin would be something consumers would demand there.
I don't know. What I do know is that I have had many conversations that go like this:

Me: Why whould I want that chip and pin / RSA keyfob / rotating password list / some other bizarro excessive European financial security mechanism?

European: To keep your money from getting stolen! Plus, it lets me do more things with my account, like transfer funds!

Me: I can do all of that without [fancy security measure].

European: Oh.

Me: And I have zero fraud liability, so I'm not worried about theft.

European: But...
Old May 22, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I assume this benefit doesn't apply to the old United Platinum visa?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.