Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

UR to United transfer is not reliably instant.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UR to United transfer is not reliably instant.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by serpens
It was my first time booking at the United web site and I was just looking to see what the reservation web pages would look like while I killed time hoping the points would appear; I was really surprised when the booking went through. My suggestion for someone whose points don't appear is to try to make a reservation anyway.
Thanks for sharing. It's now been 17 hours and the transferred points don't show up in my account. I called in and they put the flight on hold for me. I'll try to call and see if they can book it with the points that don't appear to be there! Thanks,
--Kyle

Update: I tried to pay for the reservation online (despite only showing 24k miles for my 160k mile trip), and it appears to have gone through! I got this email:
We are processing your reservation and will send you a confirmation email once this is completed. This process usually takes less than an hour; however, in rare cases it could take longer.
So, maybe this works after all! Thanks!

Last edited by kyleay; Jan 18, 2020 at 10:27 am
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
This is good to know. Perhaps all those transfers were instant after all but there was some IT issue in which we couldn't actually SEE the points but they were there.

However, my only caveat is that for me the email from Chase that the transfer was successful didn't come until the exact time when I was actually able to view the miles on my account. I'm wondering if the above 2 posters got that email from Chase or not and if yes, when.

Last edited by friedablass; Jan 18, 2020 at 7:35 pm
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:32 pm

Update: this morning I booked it, it still shows my original number of points in my account, but I show a pending charge on my Sapphire Reserve for the taxes. When I view the reservation online, it says this still:
Your purchase is confirmed and your reservation is processing. We'll email you when your reservation has been ticketed

Has me worried! Think it will go through? It uses Ethiopian and Egyptair flights...
--Kyle
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
This would be great news if true. Please provide more DPs
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by friedablass
I'm wondering if the above 2 posters got that email from Chase or not and if yes, when.
Chase sent two email messages, one saying the transfer was in progress and one saying the transfer was complete. The two messages had the same time stamp in my email client. (I did not examine the headers to see how many seconds, if any, separated them; the client showed the same hour and minute on the time stamps. I can look for the seconds if someone thinks it is important.)

I do not recall whether the messages arrived before I tried to make my reservation, but I believe they did. Also, based on the time stamp of the message from United saying that my reservation was "processing", I believe I received both Chase messages before starting my United reservation.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by serpens
Chase sent two email messages, one saying the transfer was in progress and one saying the transfer was complete. The two messages had the same time stamp in my email client. (I did not examine the headers to see how many seconds, if any, separated them; the client showed the same hour and minute on the time stamps. I can look for the seconds if someone thinks it is important.)

I do not recall whether the messages arrived before I tried to make my reservation, but I believe they did. Also, based on the time stamp of the message from United saying that my reservation was "processing", I believe I received both Chase messages before starting my United reservation.
Ok, so then your points were actually in your account instantly but you weren't seeing them for some reason.

When I made my first transfer I also got both emails seconds apart and logging in and out allowed me to see the updated mileage count in United. However for the second transfer I didn't get the second email until 13+ hours later so the points in fact had not been transferred until then.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:32 am

In my case:
1/17, 5:20 PM - points transfer in progress email from Chase. Balance showed 24,xxx points (transferred 136,000 points).

1/18, 11:17 AM - flight booked with confirmation email saying:
"We are processing your reservation and will send you a confirmation email once this is completed. This process usually takes less than an hour; however, in rare cases it could take longer."
Credit card was charged for taxes, points still showed pre-transfer balance.

1/19, 8:01 AM - points transfer complete, balance now shows 160,000+ points (flight is 160,000 points).

Now, 1/19, 10:30 AM, United balance still shows 160k points, flight confirmation still says:
"Your purchase is confirmed and your reservation is processing."

Really hoping this gets "processed" soon!
--Kyle
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by friedablass
Ok, so then your points were actually in your account instantly but you weren't seeing them for some reason.
That is my assumption. FWIW, that was after logging out, clearing cache and cookies, and logging back in.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
2 Point Transfers -

1 for 7000 points - in progress email received 1/19/20, 11:45 am - points have not posted yet

1 for 67,000 points to my husbands account from his UR, 11:55am in progress email, 11:56 complete and points there

Frustrating.

Second Frustration - phantom availability for EVA on United. Ugh!
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:46 am

Smile

Originally Posted by eyeh921
  • Call International Desk - This is by far the most helpful. If you cite this problem, the International Desk will put the award on hold while you wait for your miles, especially if it's a United ticket. If it's a partner ticket (in my case), it will depend on the agent and supervisor on duty. However, the hold for partner ticket is only for a day. If the day runs out, you are on your own
This advice was great, thanks! I transferred 260k points on Saturday around noon. This morning (Monday) I called United and had them hold the tickets for the day, and long story short, they took care of me. Long story a little longer.. A United rep saved the tickets for me this morning at the award points I wanted (274k, 1k under my transferred points and what I have in United). She then mentioned she needed to go back and add my middle name so that the passport will match. Well, when she did this, there was then only 1 award flight left.

Points finally transferred this evening (Monday around 60 hours later).

So I called United and let them know what happened, and 4 hours later, it's not their fault really... I have my reward tickets for the 274k points.. and then honored my initial saved tickets. Though I'm typically not a fan of United's customer service.. they are shining over Chase and their slow transfers!
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:07 pm

I transferred 29k miles over about an hour ago, still waiting. I did the Fare Lock for $20 to hold the tickets. Meh, hopefully they will be there tomorrow.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by pmm621
....not their fault really... I have my reward tickets for the 274k points.. and then honored my initial saved tickets. Though I'm typically not a fan of United's customer service.. they are shining over Chase and their slow transfers!
How might we know that the slow transfer is due to a problem at Chase rather than at United?

Last edited by mia; Feb 11, 2020 at 10:05 am
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:02 pm
sfp

36h later and about 120k points have still not transferred, and the prices on the flights I was hoping to book (and all of the potential alternatives) have now skyrocketed. I'm super pissed at Chase, but know there's always this risk. It's disheartening to put all of this effort into transferable points to now have them stuck with United with no foreseeable use.

I'm guessing there's been no luck out there having Chase cancel a pending transfer on the phone? I've already sent them secure messages and they say there's nothing they can do before 7 days.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:11 pm
sfp

Originally Posted by sfp
36h later and about 120k points have still not transferred, and the prices on the flights I was hoping to book (and all of the potential alternatives) have now skyrocketed. I'm super pissed at Chase, but know there's always this risk. It's disheartening to put all of this effort into transferable points to now have them stuck with United with no foreseeable use.

I'm guessing there's been no luck out there having Chase cancel a pending transfer on the phone? I've already sent them secure messages and they say there's nothing they can do before 7 days.
And just as I hit submit on that, I got an e-mail that the transfer is complete (after a seriously angry secure message). Gahhhhhhhh
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by sfp
And just as I hit submit on that, I got an e-mail that the transfer is complete (after a seriously angry secure message). Gahhhhhhhh
I know the feeling and I totally get you!! Must have been so frustrating.

I do recall though somebody mentioning upthread that they were able to somehow get United to hold their award so you may want to try that if this ever happens again (G-d forbid ) so that you can at least be somewhat calmer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.