Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

UR to United transfer is not reliably instant.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UR to United transfer is not reliably instant.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lax01
Any recent DPs for UR to UA transfer time?
The same accounts which had transfers taking days to show up in the UA accounts continue to have the same problem with transfers being delayed. And the accounts which had instant transfers are still having instant transfers. In other words, I am seeing no fix speeding up transfers.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 9:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The same accounts which had transfers taking days to show up in the UA accounts continue to have the same problem with transfers being delayed. And the accounts which had instant transfers are still having instant transfers. In other words, I am seeing no fix speeding up transfers.
Not true, I transferred to UA Friday and it was instant. Previously when I transferred from the same account it was delayed by a few days.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 12:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by friedablass
Not true, I transferred to UA Friday and it was instant. Previously when I transferred from the same account it was delayed by a few days.
Not true for you perhaps. But for my mentioned accounts, what I noted is true.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 10, 2022 at 1:44 am
Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Not true for you perhaps. But for my mentioned accounts, what I noted is true.
I thought you meant in general for anyone who's had this issue in the past.

I am still very curious as to what triggers a delay. Also, is it the UR account that's the issue or the United account? Meaning that if your UR account is instant transfers to UA but your spouse is not, can you transfer from your UR account to your spouse's UA (assuming they're an authorized user) and will that be instant or there will still be a delay because spouse has an issue regardless?
Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
I am still very curious as to what triggers a delay. Also, is it the UR account that's the issue or the United account? Meaning that if your UR account is instant transfers to UA but your spouse is not, can you transfer from your UR account to your spouse's UA (assuming they're an authorized user) and will that be instant or there will still be a delay because spouse has an issue regardless?
Self-to-self instant transfer does not guarantee self-to-spouse instant transfer.

I recently transferred a significant quantity of UR (>100K) from my Chase account to my DW’s UA account. That took ~36 hours even though AFAICT the name on her Chase AU card exactly matches the name on her United account. FWIW, this was my first time transferring to her.

Out of curiosity, when it became clear her transfer would not be instant, I transferred a small amount of UR to my UA account. It showed up within a minute or two.

In the interests of science, just now I did a small second transfer to my DW. Result: deposited instantly.

Possible reasons for the delay in the first DW transfer:
  • First-time transfer to AU
  • Large transfer to AU
  • Some combination of the above
  • Phase of moon, mating cycle of grunion, sunspots
friedablass likes this.

Last edited by beltway; Jul 13, 2022 at 6:10 am
Old Jul 13, 2022, 12:48 pm

semi-relevant: now going on 15 hours for an Air Canada transfer. Chase CS unhelpful. award tickets already gone.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:09 pm

Adding data point

- March: transferred UR to United with no issues (13k and 1k). Practically instant. Definitely not a case of a wrong United MileagePlus account number.

- Saturday July 9th: Requested 80k point transfer from UR to United. Got "Your Point Transfer is in progress!" email.

- Sunday July 10th: about 24 hours later, got "Congrats! Point transfer complete!" email with "Your United MileagePlus Point Transfer is complete, and your points are ready for use!" in the email body. Miles do not show up.

- Monday July 11th: called Chase. Say they requested escalation to marketing team and I'll receive snail mail 7-10 day.

- Tuesday July 12th: called United. United say they see nothing on their end. United forward my call to Chase. Chase say they requested escalation and I should hear back in 3 days via email. Asked if what if it's not resolved by then: they say I can escalate to supervisor on Saturday. Ask if they can start a refund process, they say no. Ask for any additional info/specifics why my transfer wasn't instant - nothing.

- Friday July 15th evening: miles still does not show up on United account

- Saturday July 16th: went to local branch. Wait for 10 minutes. First they asked me to call the number back of card. Said I already tried that. Meet a banker who told me the department they have to call is closed on weekend and I have to come back on Monday. Came home and tried calling Chase again, they saw the escalation but 0 updates on it and they could take 2 weeks (10 business days) and I have to wait. Ask for further escalation - no.

As far as I'm concern, it's unacceptable for a bank to lose almost $800 worth of points and do nothing for a week. I'm transferring cash out of my Chase bank accounts, switching my ACH payments/deposits, and will be closing all my Chase bank accounts and credit cards.
SPN Lifer and cuthroat like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Self-to-self instant transfer does not guarantee self-to-spouse instant transfer.

I recently transferred a significant quantity of UR (>100K) from my Chase account to my DW’s UA account. That took ~36 hours even though AFAICT the name on her Chase AU card exactly matches the name on her United account. FWIW, this was my first time transferring to her.

Out of curiosity, when it became clear her transfer would not be instant, I transferred a small amount of UR to my UA account. It showed up within a minute or two.

In the interests of science, just now I did a small second transfer to my DW. Result: deposited instantly.

Possible reasons for the delay in the first DW transfer:
  • First-time transfer to AU
  • Large transfer to AU
  • Some combination of the above
  • Phase of moon, mating cycle of grunion, sunspots
Does your wife have her own UR account/ points? Just curious if you tried a large transfer from her UR to her UA what would happen. I know you're not going to do a test just to find out but it has me wondering...

Originally Posted by piescorpio
Adding data point

- March: transferred UR to United with no issues (13k and 1k). Practically instant. Definitely not a case of a wrong United MileagePlus account number.

- Saturday July 9th: Requested 80k point transfer from UR to United. Got "Your Point Transfer is in progress!" email.

- Sunday July 10th: about 24 hours later, got "Congrats! Point transfer complete!" email with "Your United MileagePlus Point Transfer is complete, and your points are ready for use!" in the email body. Miles do not show up.

- Monday July 11th: called Chase. Say they requested escalation to marketing team and I'll receive snail mail 7-10 day.

- Tuesday July 12th: called United. United say they see nothing on their end. United forward my call to Chase. Chase say they requested escalation and I should hear back in 3 days via email. Asked if what if it's not resolved by then: they say I can escalate to supervisor on Saturday. Ask if they can start a refund process, they say no. Ask for any additional info/specifics why my transfer wasn't instant - nothing.

- Friday July 15th evening: miles still does not show up on United account

- Saturday July 16th: went to local branch. Wait for 10 minutes. First they asked me to call the number back of card. Said I already tried that. Meet a banker who told me the department they have to call is closed on weekend and I have to come back on Monday. Came home and tried calling Chase again, they saw the escalation but 0 updates on it and they could take 2 weeks (10 business days) and I have to wait. Ask for further escalation - no.

As far as I'm concern, it's unacceptable for a bank to lose almost $800 worth of points and do nothing for a week. I'm transferring cash out of my Chase bank accounts, switching my ACH payments/deposits, and will be closing all my Chase bank accounts and credit cards.
This case is definitely not a delay but full blown losing/misplacing your points. In my case, I didn't get the email saying the transfer was complete until it actually was and I did see the points in my account.

I agree that this is unacceptable. To me the loss would be equivalent to at least $1200 being that I have a CSR card and can get 1.5 cpp value when booking travel or using the pay yourself back feature. They're acting as if they're in the dark ages of technology....

Last edited by friedablass; Jul 21, 2022 at 9:17 am
Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:49 am

[ibj]
friedablass likes this.

Last edited by beltway; Apr 7, 2024 at 6:06 am
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:16 am

DP: added an AU to my sapphire reserve. his name appeared in the drop-down menu when i went to transfer points to his United account. transferred 80,000 points to him. got the 'in progress' email immediately, points showed up 28 hours later. My call to Chase got me a big 'shrug' from the CS rep who told me there was nothing they could do until the points had gone missing for 7 days.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:56 pm
Suspended

The UR to UA transfer delays I see are also at times being seen when there is no AU aspect to the picture.

Seems to me that Chase may have a risk algorithm in play that hits some transfer times even when there is no AU in the picture for a given transfer.
RNE and totallyi like this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 6:25 am

Programs: IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Accor - Gold; Radisson - Gold; Hyatt - Globalist
I think GUWonder is correct. My s.o. transferred ~90K points from her Chase to her United ~12 hrs ago. Received email confirmation that the transfer is in progress. Points deducted from UR balance and no points on United.....
Old Sep 6, 2022, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Are there DPs of people experiencing delays in transfers even if there have been instant transfers from the card to the same UA account in the past. I just did a test transfer of 1K UA points from my wife's card to my UA and it went through instantly.

During the above transfer, I noticed my UA mileage balance went up immediately, but it did not reflect in the transaction history. Has anyone had issues ticketing or booking in such situations?
Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Are there DPs of people experiencing delays in transfers even if there have been instant transfers from the card to the same UA account in the past. I just did a test transfer of 1K UA points from my wife's card to my UA and it went through instantly.
Yes. Start reading at post 185.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by beltway
Yes. Start reading at post 185.
Yours is the reverse of my scenario. My wife's first transfer to me went through instantly. Wonder if future transfers will have a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.