Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Debating Between Chase Sapphire and Amtrak Guest Rewards Mastercard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Hello,

As the title says, I'm trying to decide between the Chase Sapphire or the Amtrak Guest Rewards Mastercard (or perhaps both).

I'm leaning towards Amtrak, since it is only $500 in the first 3 months and $3000 would be tricky for the Sapphire. Also, I'm weary of the $95 annual fee of the Sapphire and the Amtrak has no annual fee.

I would like to get the Amtrak rewards now since I'm using Amtrak frequently, and then apply for the Sapphire towards the fall/winter in order to use the points next summer.

Will I be able to get both cards with the bonus points for singing up (12,000 for Amtrak, 40,000 for Sapphire) or will having one disqualify me for the other? Also, if I were to get the Sapphire, spend $3000 for the points, and redeem the points, would I be able to close out the card before having to pay the annual fee?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
I think your best bet is to go with the Sapphire because it transfers one to one with Amtrak. if I'm not mistaken you should get 2x for travel which may include Amtrak fares anyway.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Welcome to FT!

As phdtomd stated, the CSP may be the better option for the reasons specified. However, if there is any doubt that you would hit the spend bonus required for the 40K signup bonus, then definitely don't get that card. Getting the card and failing to hit the bonus is a huge missed opportunity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.