Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase fraudulent charges

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
Understand that. This last card has only been used once several months ago (to get the bonus) and has been in a drawer - not linked to anything online.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
bj, could it be that someone hacked into your chase.com account? That's one way they could get all the card numbers and other info.

Another way is to download several credit reports from different credit monitoring services. They can piece together the info to get full account numbers. They'd have to know your SSN, but how hard is that to find out? Get your credit report from each of the 3 bureaus and look for soft pulls from companies you don't recognize.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:20 pm

snic - I'm thinking if they had done that they would have other pieces of data that caused the transactions to reject. Like address and name etc.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:45 pm

My sapphire card was just used for a fraudulent transaction and I had to get a new one. Placed a few orders at Apple...

I blamed marriott. Didn't they make us change passwords because of data breach. I only use my sapphire card for travel and dining. Didn't think it could be from a dining purchase cause they used my billing address for the online orders
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Anyone Else Having Security Issue with Chase?

Read Target was hacked over Thkx. Lots of data stolen. It is on CNN
Old Dec 19, 2013, 7:58 am

I had one today for EA.com charges on my saphire card.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:43 am

One target purchase during the compromise period. I will be watching that CC like a hawk.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by snugglening
I had one today for EA.com charges on my saphire card.
I also had a charge from EA.com two days ago, replacement card arrives today.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:11 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
I had an attempted fraud on my Ink from THE BUCKLE ONLINE for $0.01. Somehow Chase figured out that it was a dodgy charge (I googled it and it's some kind of online jeans shop) though I have no idea how they figured it out. It's not the kind of shop I would frequent. Who the hell buys jeans for $0.01?

I'm trying to figure out how it could have happened, how someone got the details of this card. I haven't shopped at Target but I did pay some accommodation charges in advance by phone. The merchants are small lodge/campgrounds in Australia and they processed the charge on Eftpos machines.

Has anyone had this sort of problem before?

They sent me an email and I called them. The upshot is that they cancelled my card and they said they would send the replacement to Australia. This is the worst possible timing as I have some expenses coming up in Ink-friendly categories. Does it take a long time for a cad to be sent overseas?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:52 am

It sounds like they were just running through numbers to see if any went through - then if they did they'd hit it big time. The first one I had with Chase they did 6 charges in a few hours - all to the same place - the second, like yours, some clothing place I'd never shop at.

Originally Posted by Tiki
I had an attempted fraud on my Ink from THE BUCKLE ONLINE for $0.01. Somehow Chase figured out that it was a dodgy charge (I googled it and it's some kind of online jeans shop) though I have no idea how they figured it out. It's not the kind of shop I would frequent. Who the hell buys jeans for $0.01?

I'm trying to figure out how it could have happened, how someone got the details of this card. I haven't shopped at Target but I did pay some accommodation charges in advance by phone. The merchants are small lodge/campgrounds in Australia and they processed the charge on Eftpos machines.

They sent me an email and I called them. The upshot is that they cancelled my card and they said they would send the replacement to Australia. This is the worst possible timing as I have some expenses coming up in Ink-friendly categories. Does it take a long time for a cad to be sent overseas?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:57 am

I had fraud charges on my SP to Hyatt and Facebook a few months ago.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
I had 3 EA.com charges 1-2 week ago too on my Sapphire and card has been replaced. In addition to this recent one, I also had to replace my card twice last year due to fraud charges.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by bj2757
It sounds like they were just running through numbers to see if any went through - then if they did they'd hit it big time. The first one I had with Chase they did 6 charges in a few hours - all to the same place - the second, like yours, some clothing place I'd never shop at.
What I don't get is how is it humanly possible to do a charge for $0.01 at the Buckle? The cheapest item I could find on their website was a pair of earrings on sale for $1.70. Unless someone who works at the Buckle is the one trying to defraud me?

Assuming they cloned my card somehow or got my information, why wouldn't they just order a pair of designer jeans and hope it goes through?

The only way I can think they got my information would be from a lodge in Tasmania who wanted me to pay in advance for our accommodation and didn't have an online processor or belong to someplace like Expedia. I had to phone it in, presumably they wrote it on a piece of paper, processed it, then tossed the piece of paper out and the crook found it.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Tiki

They sent me an email and I called them. The upshot is that they cancelled my card and they said they would send the replacement to Australia. This is the worst possible timing as I have some expenses coming up in Ink-friendly categories. Does it take a long time for a card to be sent overseas?
I am officially impressed - the new card showed up at my house in Brisbane today! They used UPS Express Envelope, postmarked 15 Jan and arrived 19 Jan (USA time) which is Monday 20 Jan here.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:58 pm
RNE

Chase is so trigger happy with possible fraudulent transactions they practically alert me every time I buy a pack of chewing gum! Yet Case never alerted me when a charge at a coffee shop posted for (get this) $150,153.79! That's some brew! I had to call Chase and convince them that I did not make the transaction—as if a transaction at a coffee shop in that amount could possibly be legit! For $150k I could have purchased the whole shop! Anyway, it took a super supervisor to take my call because of the high dollar amount. They're mailing me a dispute form to fill out and mail back, which will take days and meanwhile my card is useless because it's over the credit limit. "There's nothing we can do," the super supervisor says. This is a credit card I have a limited time to put $2,000 on to get bonus miles. I don't need any delays.

RNE, tempus fugit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.