Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom eliminates Exclusives (10+10) even for those grandfathered in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Freedom eliminates Exclusives (10+10) even for those grandfathered in?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2013, 8:37 pm

I got the letter on Friday. I don't have it with me but I swear it says the new program still gives 10pts bonus per purchase. Can someone else confirm?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 4:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

DALKOR13's report has been appended to a brief previous discussion of this change started in October. The primary discussion thread for the Exclusives feature is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...per-swipe.html
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
The letter is attached to Post #5 now. It's effective April 1.

Although the 10 points/swipe is going away, the 10% bonus will apply to all points earned, including 5x bonus points earned.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Chase Freedom eliminates 10+10 even for those grandfathered into the program?

Hello,

Tried to do a search on the forum but could not find anything.

I received a letter in the mail from Chase Freedom, stating that Chase is making some changes to "simplify" the way I earn rewards from Chase Freedom. Essentially, instead of the 10% and 10 points for every swipe, I will only get 10% annual bonus at the end of the year.

I have been a Chase Freedom cardholder since 2010, so my question is - is this happening to anyone else? I thought I was grandfathered into the 10+10 program...
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Originally Posted by CuddlyFlyer

I have been a Chase Freedom cardholder since 2010, so my question is - is this happening to anyone else? I thought I was grandfathered into the 10+10 program...
I haven't seen a letter yet but I sent a secure message to Chase a couple of weeks ago and they assured me I was grandfathered. I would send one to them and get it in writing that you are grandfathered.....
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:17 am

Banks grandfather?

As far as I know, it's happening to everyone - just a matter of when - probably takes time to convert all the cardholders, send letters, etc.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:27 pm

So which cards is everyone switching to as daily spender
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:00 am
Suspended

when i called, told me this new change is to new or recently opened ones and not those who had freedom and checking for yrs.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:28 am

On my latest monthly statement, Chase Freedom clearly shows 10 points for each transactions so I still get 10 points per swipe.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Two threads discussing changes to the Chase Exclusives feature have been combined.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:16 pm

Just got the letter in the mail:
On or about April 1, you will no longer earn the current 10% bonus points on points earned, plus 10 bonus points on every purchase made with your credit card. Instead, you will earn a 10% annual bonus on all new points earned with your Chase Freedom card during billing cycles within the previous year when you, as the primary cardmember, were the sole or joint owner of an open Chase checking account.
You will not earn the 10% annual bonus on new account bonus points, previous 10% annual bonus points awarded, or points transferred into your account.
Your 10% annual bonus points will only appear on either your January or February billing statement each year you qualify, not on each monthly billing statement.
So you still have to keep a Chase checking account for the 10% bonus. No mention of anybody being grandfathered in. I've had this card for 8 years. It does emphasize that the 10% bonus will be on ALL points earned on purchases, including the points earned in the 5% quarterly bonus categories. No specific mention if the 10% bonus applies to extra points earned through the UR mall.

I've been using this card for all purchases under ~$10. Won't be doing that anymore.

ETA: Same exact letter as DALKOR13
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:19 pm

Very sad to the see 10pt per transaction go away.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Dangjr213
Very sad to the see 10pt per transaction go away.
Same here. It was a great way to manufacture spend with Square... if you had the patience for that many swipes!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:23 pm

Here's what my current point breakdown is for a normal month spending on the old program.

Points earned on purchases 1,319
10% Bonus Points per $1 You Spend 133
Bonus 10 Points on Every Purchase 1,140

Bonus from 5% categories: Jan - Mar 295
Bonus from 5% categories: Apr - Jun 487
Current Points Total 3,374

Here's what it will look like on the new program

Points earned on purchases 1,319
Bonus from 5% categories: Jan - Mar 295
Bonus from 5% categories: Apr - Jun 487
10% Bonus Points: 210
Current Points Total 2311

Technically I won't see these points until the end of the year just doing this to make the math easier.

Loss of ~1000 points per month this really sucks. Its funny how the letter sounds like they are doing us a "favor" and helping us out by making the rewards program simpler, but they are just screwing us over. Thanks Deb Walden Executive VP of "Customer Experience" from Chase, your deceptive letter just ruined my Chase customer experience.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by c3troop
So which cards is everyone switching to as daily spender
I'm curious to know this as well... Any good ideas...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.