Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Dead]Chase Sapphire Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:33 pm

Another scenario....

After downgrading my CSP Visa to the no-fee CS Visa, i applied for and was approved for the CSP MC.

On Thursday, friend downgraded her CSP Visa to the CS Visa, and then applied for the CSP MC today. Application was denied and was told that they cannot issue the CSP MC since she currently has the CS Visa, the same product. Tried to explain that they were indeed not the same product, but they wouldn't budge. So YMMV.

Any suggestions?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by nsmn4945
After downgrading my CSP Visa to the no-fee CS Visa, i applied for and was approved for the CSP MC.

On Thursday, friend downgraded her CSP Visa to the CS Visa, and then applied for the CSP MC today. Application was denied and was told that they cannot issue the CSP MC since she currently has the CS Visa, the same product. Tried to explain that they were indeed not the same product, but they wouldn't budge. So YMMV.

Any suggestions?
Call again and get a different CSR...
Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:20 pm

Any suggestions?
Should have downgraded it to a Freedom. I have heard that you can only have 1 Sapphire product. That incudes both the CSP and CS.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold, Marriott Silver, Choice Privileges Gold, National Exec

Any suggestions?
Just as SuperKirby suggested, I would tell your friend to speak to another CSR. There are plenty of reports that confirm that you can have a regular Chase Sapphire and a Chase Sapphire Preferred at the same time.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by Nevafazeme
Another Data Point:

Current Open Chase Cards: 5 (Total Credit Limit of $26K)
Sapphire Preferred (opened 12/11)
United Explorer (opened 08/12)
Southwest Plus Personal (opened 11/12)
Southwest Plus Business (opened 11/12)
Ink Bold (opened 2 weeks ago)

Once the CSP MC link came back to life, I really wanted to get one!! So on Wednesday afternoon, I called up Chase and downgraded my CSP Visa to a Freedom Visa (still awaiting arrival of the card in the mail). I didn't want to apply for this card right away, but I also didn't want to take the chance of it disappearing again, so this morning (Friday) I applied, and got the 'pending review' message. I waited about 1.5 hours before calling a live rep. I was prepared to cancel a card if necessary, and I told the rep I would, but it turns out that it wasn't necessary. After moving some credit from both the Personal/Business versions of my Southwest cards, I was approved!!

I waited less than 48 hours from the time I downgraded my CSP Visa to being approved for the CSP MC. I hope this can help others that may be in a similar situation.
Thanks for posting this. My fact pattern was almost identical. I downgraded my CSP Visa to a Freedom MC 2 days ago. I submitted my online app for the CSP MC just now using the FFU link and received instant approval. Called the reconsideration line and the CSR confirmed it is the MC version. ^
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:14 am

I talked with two different CSRs and they both said that I can not change the CSP Visa to a Freedom MC. The only option I was given was to change to the regular sapphire Visa.

With a Chase Sapphire Visa now, can I get the bonus for the Sapphire Preferred Mastercard?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by cyclotron
I talked with two different CSRs and they both said that I can not change the CSP Visa to a Freedom MC. The only option I was given was to change to the regular sapphire Visa.

With a Chase Sapphire Visa now, can I get the bonus for the Sapphire Preferred Mastercard?
Have you already downgraded? I would have just told you to try again. As you can see from the previous comment, it IS very much possible to downgrade the CSP to the Freedom MC.

You don't ask the agents if you can do something. You just tell them that you want to do it.
And then there's always the fallback argument that you know "someone" who did it successfully.

If you've already downgraded then that's moot now.

It's tougher getting the CSP MC if you have the CS Visa...not because of the cards themselves but because more agents seem to think that the CS visa and the CSP MC are the same card.
So if you get auto approved, well and good. If not, then YMMV.
May have to call a few times...
Old Jun 23, 2013, 2:19 pm

I don't have any CSP cards. Does it make sense to apply for the Mastercard first and then the Visa, or vice versa?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by restonva
I don't have any CSP cards. Does it make sense to apply for the Mastercard first and then the Visa, or vice versa?
Absolutely.

Originally Posted by jatink129
Have you already downgraded? I would have just told you to try again. As you can see from the previous comment, it IS very much possible to downgrade the CSP to the Freedom MC.

You don't ask the agents if you can do something. You just tell them that you want to do it.
And then there's always the fallback argument that you know "someone" who did it successfully.

If you've already downgraded then that's moot now.

It's tougher getting the CSP MC if you have the CS Visa...not because of the cards themselves but because more agents seem to think that the CS visa and the CSP MC are the same card.
So if you get auto approved, well and good. If not, then YMMV.
May have to call a few times...
So downgrade to a Freedom Visa, then convert it to a MC. You might have to do it in two steps.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold, Marriott Silver, Choice Privileges Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by cyclotron

It's terrible that you were told this by two different CSRs, especially since it sounds like you already downgraded to the CS Visa (which I'm assuming you didn't want).

In my case, when I called and told the rep that I wanted to downgrade my CSP Visa to a Freedom card, he actually asked "would you like a Visa or MasterCard?" It kinda threw me off for a sec, but at least I know now that either is possible. But nonetheless, you should still be able to get the CSP MC bonus while holding the CS Visa.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by restonva
Do the MC first. The Visa is always available, but who knows if the MC will be when you are ready to do #2.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by dukerau

Do the MC first. The Visa is always available, but who knows if the MC will be when you are ready to do #2.
Seconded. This is the approach we took since the MC is somewhat of an enigma. Visa should be there when you're ready to switch down the line.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by hedge
Seconded. This is the approach we took since the MC is somewhat of an enigma. Visa should be there when you're ready to switch down the line.
Thirdeded...
Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:18 am

And just as I was about to have my Mom apply, the link is dead again.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by keirnna
And just as I was about to have my Mom apply, the link is dead again.
ugh just told my brother about it too doubt he did it in time...Visa it is I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.