FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase Freedom + Sapphire Preferred Combo... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1422626-chase-freedom-sapphire-preferred-combo.html)

Dieuwer Dec 31, 2012 1:22 pm

Chase Freedom + Sapphire Preferred Combo...

...beat any and all cards?

With 5% cash back reward points from rotating categories that can be moved to your Sapphire Preferred ultimate rewards account, and subsequently 1:1 to select airline programs (United), for sure that beats any AMEX card?

http://thepointsguy.com/2011/07/huge...g-combination/

Problem is, I am more of a DL flyer so less use for United miles. Nevertheless, I am considering applying for the Sapphire preferred as I already have the Freedom card.
Also, I never had any card with an annual fee. Does it makes sense to get one now?

Thoughts?

c3troop Dec 31, 2012 4:11 pm

I personally find the chase points the easiest to redeem. I was recently able to book a flight at 4 cents per point.

amolkold Dec 31, 2012 4:20 pm

One could argue that the Ink Plus/Bold is a better card to have with Sapphire Preferred. Routing some spend through prepaid cards beats the 2.14x that the Sapphire gets on travel/dining.

TheBOSman Dec 31, 2012 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 19950438)
One could argue that the Ink Plus/Bold is a better card to have with Sapphire Preferred. Routing some spend through prepaid cards beats the 2.14x that the Sapphire gets on travel/dining.

+1, this is what I have. I value the 5x at office stores and phone/cable/internet bills higher than 2.14x on travel and dining. I honestly think the Sapphire Preferred is overrated, it's a pump and dump card for me, whereas Ink Plus will pay for itself with the $300 monthly cell phone/cable bills I can pay. 5x at office stores is just gravy, even if Ink dumped office supply stores, I'd still keep it.

Dieuwer Dec 31, 2012 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 19950566)
+1, this is what I have. I value the 5x at office stores and phone/cable/internet bills higher than 2.14x on travel and dining. I honestly think the Sapphire Preferred is overrated, it's a pump and dump card for me, whereas Ink Plus will pay for itself with the $300 monthly cell phone/cable bills I can pay. 5x at office stores is just gravy, even if Ink dumped office supply stores, I'd still keep it.

The Ink is a business card. I don't have a business. ;)

Besides, the only recurring bill I have is for internet. About $50/month.
I would use the Sapphire for travel (airfare, no FTF) and use my Freedom card to turn the points from the rotating categories into miles.

shoreline Dec 31, 2012 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 19950826)
The Ink is a business card. I don't have a business. ;)

Besides, the only recurring bill I have is for internet. About $50/month.
I would use the Sapphire for travel (airfare, no FTF) and use my Freedom card to turn the points from the rotating categories into miles.

you really don't have cell service? :eek: or do you mean, it's a corporate expense for you?

Dieuwer Dec 31, 2012 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by shoreline (Post 19950897)
you really don't have cell service? :eek: or do you mean, it's a corporate expense for you?

Prepaid.

StartinSanDiego Jan 1, 2013 7:49 am

delete

TheBOSman Jan 1, 2013 8:01 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 19950998)
Prepaid.

I haven't tried it but I wonder if you could go and buy the cards at the physical prepaid store? If you have a Verizon/AT&T etc. prepaid phone that might work, I know this isn't possible for everything.

I have a business, I examine credit card signup bonuses and see which ones work best then talk about them here :D. I just run a very poor business as I don't get paid at all for it :o.