Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking flights, rooms & cars using Chase U.R. [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking flights, rooms & cars using Chase U.R. [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:50 am

If I rent a car via the cash+points option in UR, does anyone know if I still receive the benefit of the Chase Card Rental Car protection - or because I didn't pay for the entire rental by CC, the additional coverage will be disputed?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:09 am

Chase UR Mall experience for rental car bonus

I was planning to rent a car and found enterprise, avis, budget etc listed as merchants on UR Mall. The plan is to use the links of the rental car merchants and then make the booking on the respective sites. T&C mention that the rental should be completed and then only the bonus will post.

Any experience if these bonus points post (& how soon).

Note - I assume paying with non chase card might not trigger this bonus.

Last edited by domino007; Feb 23, 2013 at 1:12 am Reason: rental car merchant website
Old Apr 14, 2013, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
UR Mall & Marriott Questions

1) Do purchases of Marriott GCs on Marriott.com (clicking to gifts.marriott.com) through the UR portal yield UR points?

2) When using promo codes on Marriott.com through the UR portal, should I receive the UR bonuses? Or is this supposed to be rack rate only? I have a few stays in which I booked on the Marriott website through the portal and it doesn't seem like I've received any UR point bonuses.

I tried searching for related threads and didn't see anything too obvious.

Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: US DM Silver
I think your best move to maximize UR is to purchase Marriott gift cards at office supply store then book through the portal with the gift cards.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
I don't always see the marriott GCs at Staples or the one OD around me though. This is then probably a newbie question, but don't i have to use a UR earning card for method of payment in order to get the UR bonus for portal passthroughs?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by eleeut
I don't always see the marriott GCs at Staples or the one OD around me though. This is then probably a newbie question, but don't i have to use a UR earning card for method of payment in order to get the UR bonus for portal passthroughs?
No you don't - see the reply I got from Chase to exactly that question.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...un-around.html
Old May 18, 2013, 4:49 pm

If I book a Hyatt room through Travelocity through UR with my Hyatt Visa card, will I get 3x points from Hyatt Visa and 2x points from UR?
Old May 22, 2013, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
If I book a Hyatt room through Travelocity through UR with my Hyatt Visa card, will I get 3x points from Hyatt Visa and 2x points from UR?
No, youd get 3x points from UR only

But I have a question of my own since Im pretty new to UR...

Reading throughout this thread, what i understand is that whether you use UR points or cash and book both through UR for a flight, you would get flight credit/miles. However, if you use cash and book through UR, you would also get UR points. Assuming all this is true, why wouldn't one only book through UR? Why are many people buying VR cards to manufacture spending only to transfer the points to UA during a promo?

Because if all my assumptions are correct, lets say you have UR points and buy a reward ticket from LAX-NYC rt. you would get approx 8000 UA points without status. But transfering the points to UA during a promo wouldnt even get you that much value as you wouldnt accrue UA points.

Now with cash, lets say again you book a flight from, LAX-NYC rt through UR with cash. You would get 3x UR points + 8000 UA miles. Whereas booking directly through UA's site, you would only get 8000 UA miles. Of course, if you have their card, you could also get 3x UA points for using the cc but if #1 is true, the former option would be best, since you could use those UR points again for a reward flight and get UA points.

I doubt all my assumptions are correct and that one of them is probably false. Otherwise, UR seems too good to be true...

Anyone?
Old May 22, 2013, 10:05 am

I did a little more research and to answer my own question and to clear things up as well:

Travelocity gives out 2x UR points when booked through UR. Therefore, if I use the Hyatt Card and book a Hyatt room through Travelocity through UR, I get 1x Hyatt points (all purchases give 1x Hyatt points) + 2 UR points. Hyatt will not give me 3x Hyatt points because I would need to book directly from their website (due to merchant coding).

Purely on a points base, Booking with:

Hyatt Visa Card through Travelocity (through UR) = 1x Hyatt + 2 UR pts

Hyatt Visa Card directly from Hyatt website = 3x Hyatt pts

United Club Visa through Travelocity (through UR) = 1.5x MP + 2 UR pts

United Club Visa directly from United website = 2x MP pts.

Chase Sapphire Preferred travel through UR = 3 UR pts

Chase Sapphire Preferred travel through Travelocity through UR = 2 UR + 2 UR = 4 UR pts.

Chase Sapphire Preferred travel any other website = 2 UR pts.

etc.

Last edited by SuperKirby; May 22, 2013 at 10:12 am
Old May 22, 2013, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by pkoo
No, youd get 3x points from UR only
I figured it out, it's actually 1x Hyatt pts + 2x UR points. That's completely different from 3 UR pts. See my example above.

But I have a question of my own since Im pretty new to UR...

Reading throughout this thread, what i understand is that whether you use UR points or cash and book both through UR for a flight, you would get flight credit/miles. However, if you use cash and book through UR, you would also get UR points. Assuming all this is true, why wouldn't one only book through UR? Why are many people buying VR cards to manufacture spending only to transfer the points to UA during a promo?
Thats why a lot of people actually do indeed book revenue (cash) trips through UR to earn extra pts. Redeeming (using pts) is also nice because it's kinda cheap (you save 20%). However, its ONLY 20%, when I transfer all my points to UA for example, I typically save at LEAST 100%. Why most people agree that transferring points to programs is MUCH better than just simply using points to redeem on UR website (this has been said 1000 times on FT).

I.e. A $1500 RT to Paris will cost you 150,000 UR points. But with the 20% off on redeeming pts on UR, the trip is only 120,000 UR pts! Awesome right? Not really, everyone (who flys a lot) knows transferring your points to miles on UA will only cost 60,000 miles to book the RT to Paris.

Manufacturing points is just an EXTRA way to earn even MORE points and miles. You don't have to do it, just icing on the cake. Although I would say manufacturing has earned me EXTRA 24K points a year. That's almost a free one way to Paris just from FREE EXTRA points =) So to answer your question, why not do both?

To answer your other Q, some people like booking directly from the airline/hotel's website because incase of emergency or schedule change, dealing directly with the airline/hotel is MUCH LESS of an hassle when canceling or changing schedules. It can be a bigger hassle doing this through UR/Travelocity. The extra 1-2 UR points is not worth the hassle. That and because it's so easy to earn UR points in other ways too, hence, manufacturing.

Last edited by SuperKirby; May 22, 2013 at 10:31 am
Old May 22, 2013, 10:51 am

Thank you very much for the explanation
Old May 22, 2013, 11:09 am

Thank you very much for the explanation
anytime.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I figured it out, it's actually 1x Hyatt pts + 2x UR points. That's completely different from 3 UR pts. See my example above.

Thats why a lot of people actually do indeed book revenue (cash) trips through UR to earn extra pts. Redeeming (using pts) is also nice because it's kinda cheap (you save 20%). However, its ONLY 20%, when I transfer all my points to UA for example, I typically save at LEAST 100%. Why most people agree that transferring points to programs is MUCH better than just simply using points to redeem on UR website (this has been said 1000 times on FT).

I.e. A $1500 RT to Paris will cost you 150,000 UR points. But with the 20% off on redeeming pts on UR, the trip is only 120,000 UR pts! Awesome right? Not really, everyone (who flys a lot) knows transferring your points to miles on UA will only cost 60,000 miles to book the RT to Paris.

Manufacturing points is just an EXTRA way to earn even MORE points and miles. You don't have to do it, just icing on the cake. Although I would say manufacturing has earned me EXTRA 24K points a year. That's almost a free one way to Paris just from FREE EXTRA points =) So to answer your question, why not do both?

To answer your other Q, some people like booking directly from the airline/hotel's website because incase of emergency or schedule change, dealing directly with the airline/hotel is MUCH LESS of an hassle when canceling or changing schedules. It can be a bigger hassle doing this through UR/Travelocity. The extra 1-2 UR points is not worth the hassle. That and because it's so easy to earn UR points in other ways too, hence, manufacturing.
Very informative post. Thanks.
Old May 24, 2013, 8:14 pm

Chase UR Travel Charging Way More?

I was looking at HKG-JFK one-way on July 3rd. This shows up as $1072 on Kayak (from cathaypacific.com). But on the UR travel portal that same ticket is over $2163. That's on the nonstop. The cheapest flight I see on kayak is JAL, though HND for $772. On the Chase website that same flight looks like it's $857 (and in any event I don't see a flight for $772.

I've never used the travel portal. Is this typical? You earn points and can "pay with points" at 1.25 cpm, but you get rip off deals?
Old May 24, 2013, 9:04 pm

Other examples:

LAX-JFK r/t 7/3 to 7/17: cheapest nonstop Chase $476 (VX), Kayak $439 (UA)
ORD-LHR r/t 8/10 to 8/17: cheapest nonstop Chase $1476 (UA), Kayak $1476 (UA)
SFO-IAD 6/17 to 6/19: cheapest nonstop: both $482 on UA.

Any idea why the discrepancies sometimes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.