FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Benefits of banking with Chase [Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1406467-benefits-banking-chase-consolidated.html)

saranyc Nov 12, 2012 8:52 am

Benefits of banking with Chase [Consolidated]

I've used Bank of America for a long time but now that I've gotten into the credit card churning game I'm wondering if there are benefits of switching over to chase for primary banking needs? Do you think they are more likely to approve credit cards if you bank with them?

Dad to GO Nov 12, 2012 10:44 am

I don't think that it will mean that you are more likely to get approved for a card however I think that it can be good from the standpoint that when you call you are able to say that you use Chase for not only your credit card needs but also all of your banking needs, etc. I think that the longer the relationship with a financial institution the better... not for getting approved necessarily but just showing that you have that established connection with them.

azeckel Nov 12, 2012 11:42 am

Does it help to bank with chase?

If you have a chase bank account you get an extra 10% bonus on UR points with the chase freedom card (and sapphire?) plus an additional 10 UR per swipe. I personally hate the bank for primary banking (Internet banks are far easier and cheaper to deal with) but I keep an account there to get the extra points. There are a couple ways to avoid fees - either park $1500 or have a direct deposit go there once a month.

Slickw Nov 12, 2012 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by saranyc (Post 19668661)
I've used Bank of America for a long time but now that I've gotten into the credit card churning game I'm wondering if there are benefits of switching over to chase for primary banking needs? Do you think they are more likely to approve credit cards if you bank with them?

I recently opened a Chase checking account thinking along similar lines and to get the $150 sign-up bonus. I was thinking specifically that if one of my cards came to the attention of one of their analyst's for borderline "questionable" purchases, it might be just enough to for the analyst to give me a pass. I'm doing direct deposit and will park some of my emergency fund cash there as opposed to just the minimum to avoid monthly checking charges. Then again, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about so take it with a grain of salt. But for the small effort it takes on my part I think its worth my time.

Dad to GO Nov 12, 2012 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by azeckel (Post 19669749)
If you have a chase bank account you get an extra 10% bonus on UR points with the chase freedom card (and sapphire?) plus an additional 10 UR per swipe. I personally hate the bank for primary banking (Internet banks are far easier and cheaper to deal with) but I keep an account there to get the extra points. There are a couple ways to avoid fees - either park $1500 or have a direct deposit go there once a month.

I thought that this offer was no longer available? When I just tried to go there through the chase website is says that "This page is no longer available." That's why I didn't mention it in my reply.

Check out the chase site here.

Mindray Nov 12, 2012 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Dad to GO (Post 19670046)
I thought that this offer was no longer available? When I just tried to go there through the chase website is says that "This page is no longer available." That's why I didn't mention it in my reply.

Just tried it and it works no problem. I have Chase Exclusives. It is a great program and an easy way to earn more points without having to much too more to Chase.

However there has been lots of speculation that this program will end, although people who it will be grandfathered in. If you already have the Freedom card, it may be worth opening up a Chase Checking account in order to take advantage of this before it ends to new customers.

jjmiller69 Nov 12, 2012 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dad to GO (Post 19670046)

From what I've read on FT you had to have the Freedom card before 11/10/2012? If you already have a Freedom card you're grandfathered. So I would check at your local bank. I'm going this week to open a account and will report back.

bndallas82 Nov 12, 2012 2:15 pm

I certainly think it helps. I just applied for the Chase Ink card and had to call the reconsideration line. The CR was wondering why I had applied for 10 credit cards in the last 4 months (all approvals!). I mentioned something about switching alliances. After some back and forth, he said "I notice you have $20,000.00 in your chase checking account." I was like hell yes I do, me loves chase. "Congrats sir, you've been approved." Not sure I would've been approved without it.

gk17 Nov 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by bndallas82 (Post 19670785)
....I was like hell yes I do, me loves chase.

I gotta use that line with them next time to see if they still give me a hard time approving my credit cards. Not sure if I can dump as much as $20K in it though :D

Dad to GO Nov 13, 2012 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Mindray (Post 19670160)
Just tried it and it works no problem. I have Chase Exclusives. It is a great program and an easy way to earn more points without having to much too more to Chase.

However there has been lots of speculation that this program will end, although people who it will be grandfathered in. If you already have the Freedom card, it may be worth opening up a Chase Checking account in order to take advantage of this before it ends to new customers.

I know you can get to the main page but try clicking on the "learn more" within the credit cards. You'll see that it says the page is no longer available. I enjoy this program a lot but I think it might not be available for the newcomers.

saranyc Nov 13, 2012 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by bndallas82 (Post 19670785)
I certainly think it helps. I just applied for the Chase Ink card and had to call the reconsideration line. The CR was wondering why I had applied for 10 credit cards in the last 4 months (all approvals!). I mentioned something about switching alliances. After some back and forth, he said "I notice you have $20,000.00 in your chase checking account." I was like hell yes I do, me loves chase. "Congrats sir, you've been approved." Not sure I would've been approved without it.

That's a good line. But I'll only have $2,000 in the account so I'll say "I really like Chase as a friend!" ha!

JEStarr Aug 15, 2013 7:08 pm

Do I get a special offer as a Chase banking customer?

I have both a Checking and Savings account with Chase. I'm looking to open a Chase Saphire Preferred Card. Is it possible to get a better offer than the 40k bonus point offer available to the public?

Thanks.

bribro Aug 15, 2013 7:42 pm

CPC and JPM clients can get a 50k CSP sign-up bonus.

JEStarr Aug 16, 2013 11:28 am

So I'd have to be a Private client banker in order to get anything better than the usual offer?

bribro Aug 16, 2013 11:51 am

Chase Private Client or J.P. Morgan Global Wealth Management (JPM Private Bank or JPM Securities).