Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

What counts as travel? [Sapphire, INK, Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
The official Chase description:
Merchants in this category include airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, campgrounds and operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, toll bridges and highways, and parking lots and garages.

Some merchants that provide transportation and travel-related services are not included in this category; for example, real estate agents, educational merchants arranging travel, in-flight goods and services, on-board cruise line goods and services, sightseeing activities, excursions, tourist attractions, RV and boat rentals, merchants within hotels and airports, public campgrounds and merchants that rent vehicles for the purpose of hauling. Purchases from gift card merchants or merchants that sell points or miles will not qualify in the travel category.
What counts as Travel?
  • Airline purchases, fees & gift cards
  • AA e-gift certificate
  • Delta eGift Cards
  • UA in-flight bev

Hotels:
  • Marriott GC and hotel charges
  • Airbnb & their GC
  • hotels.com (NOT hotels.com e-gift cert!)
  • Hotel restaurants not charged to room (verified at Renaissance LV)
  • Priceline "opaque" hotel purchases
  • Kruger National Park lodging reservation (booked on sanparks.org official site)

Transit, including parking, trains, ferries, toll roads, etc:
  • Taxi fares: Uber, Lyft, Gett, Way2Ride, London taxi, Fasten (Austin)
  • Transit fees: BART, MTA, FastTrak, Clipper Card (Bay Area), MetroCard, DC Metro (WMATA) SmarTrip farecard and commemorative cards, NJ Transit, Oyster card, Ventra (Chicago), Las Vegas Monorail, Brussels (STIB/MIVB), Incheon Airport Bus tickets, Orca King county(Seattle area), Suica/PASMO (Tokyo IC transit card - Apple pay top up)
  • Parking meters: Atlanta; Chicago; Portland, OR; San Francisco; Atlantic City; Seattle, (Los Angeles but NOT Santa Monica)
  • Public parking garages: San Francisco; Montgomery Co. MD
  • Toll passes: E-Z Pass (MA, MD, NH, NJ, NY, PA), Sunpass prepaid tolls, Washington State GoodToGo tolls, RiverLink tolls, TxTag, IPass (Illinois)
  • Train tickets: trainline (UK train tickets), Eurostar.com, Bahn.com (when using Paypal), Amtrak, italirail.com, Train and bus travel in Scotland at ticket counter.
  • Amtrak dining car purchases (YMMV, recent reports are below):
    • Pacific Surfliner, November 2016 (tmiw): yes, counted as travel with CSR.
      Pacific Surfliner, December 2018 (tmiw): did NOT count as travel (no travel credit), but did count as dining for 3x.
    • San Joaquin, December 2015 (serpens): counted as 3x on CSR, unknown if counted as travel.
    • unknown train/date (StanJazz): counted as dining on Freedom and CSP.
  • Ferries: Cape May, NJ to Lewes, DE and NYWaterway (Belford-Pier 11)
  • Shuttles: Jackson Hole WY Airport official shuttle to town
  • Unlimted JR Pass for Japan purchased from japan-rail-pass.com

Misc:
  • MileagePlusX Uber GC [NB MPX eBay did NOT count, so it appears to be only actual travel related items on MPX]
  • Royal Caribbean drink package
  • Cruise bookings
  • Cruise Excursions Booked Prior to Cruise (and fully refundable)
  • MIR Travel Agency
  • undercovertourist.com
  • Rental cars (verified Avis on page 7 of this thread, Hertz)
  • Car Share (Car2Go) (ReachNow)
  • Lahaina Cruise Co. (Hawaii Ocean Project whale watch cruise)
  • Interval International Exchange Fee + Upgrade Fee
  • Aircraft title transfer registration fees with ICAO's International Registry of Mobile Assets (Cape Town Convention and Aircraft Protocol)
  • Viator/TripAdvisor
  • Recreation.gov fees for reserving federal park campsites do not count as "travel"
  • Point.me award search site starter pass

Also, see THIS thread for additional locations.

Print Wikipost

What counts as travel? [Sapphire, INK, Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
I was looking at my Chase online banking and apparently the parking garages at UC San Diego classify as travel. ^ Too bad the parking meters in San Diego proper don't (though Apple/Google Pay is supported on those now so this past December's mobile payment bonus potentially could have applied).

EDIT: the latter shows up as "transportation" just like the former. I'm wondering if that changed recently; I should try again next time I end up going downtown.
The flip side of it is, the TriRail train service connecting the 3 counties in South Florida, continues being classified wrongly and only earns 1x.

Also on the Ink Preferred which has the same travel 3x category and presumably use the same merchant codes table, the Airtrain from BNE to city center and back, is classified as Utilities therefore also only 1x. Ditto for the top up of Opal card at transportation customer center in Sydney, classified as misc therefore only 1x.
An SM to Chase asking corrections on the courtesy correction on the Australian public transportation charges, was handled as a dispute I told them they made a mistake. But it did not prevent one of the the <$15 charge being reversed, and a rep called me on the other bigger charges wanting to know what the "dispute" was for...

Explained to the caller that all I was asking was correction of the points,reaffirmed the charges were all legitimate charges.
Yet, the credit of <$15 stayed, even got a letter to inform me about the "approval of the dispute."...
I will just not use the Ink Preferred, now changed to an Ink Cash for the next 2 months and see if the credit would reverse itself to the billing... Courtesy points though, have been granted, twice, with different amount...

Last edited by mia; Jan 5, 2019 at 2:45 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:34 pm

PayPal data point

I bought a round trip flight on AA.com and paid with my CSR through PayPal, it coded as travel and used the credit.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Do you mean they require payment in the form of a transfer from your PayPal account, -or- that they use Paypal as their payment processor and you can make the payment without a Paypal account?
I made a $3600 paypal payment (as in they used PP as a processor) for a guided tour/vacation package and I did not get any extra points. Is it worth me asking Chase for a credit? The item on my statement clearly says "Paypal-tour company name" also known as "tour company name".
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:15 am

Marina Fees

Looking to recommend a good card for some friends that live on a boat and sail around (cruisers). Does anyone know if marina docking fees count as travel? Kind of an obscure category, but hoping maybe some other boaters on here with experience. Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by nathico
Looking to recommend a good card for some friends that live on a boat and sail around (cruisers). Does anyone know if marina docking fees count as travel? Kind of an obscure category, but hoping maybe some other boaters on here with experience. Thanks!
That's an interesting one. I would have them check previous credit card online statements to see what category previous purchases have fallen under. They may need to call their card issuer to ask - sometimes what you can see yourself online doesn't have enough detail.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Does a crossing count as a cruise?

Some people get adamant that crossings are not cruises, so I thought I would ask. The wiki says that cruises count as travel, but it is silent about crossings. The thread about the $300 travel credit also does not mention crossings.

At the moment, I'm interested in how Cunard would code, but I would also be curious about a freighter crossing. Does anyone know for sure? As far as I know, it would be hard to make at small test charge in either case. If the ocean would make a difference, please mention that, too. Thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by serpens
.... I'm interested in how Cunard would code, but I would also be curious about a freighter.....
The nature of the voyage is unimportant, bonuses are triggered by the categorization of the merchant account used to process the charge. Cunard should code the same as any other Carnival Corporation line, and would almost certainly be travel.

A freighter line is primarily in the cargo business, and I would not expect it to classify as travel unless they have a separate merchant account for passenger business. However, would you buy this directly from the line, or through an agency?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks, mia. You are a wealth of knowledge, gently delivered.
Originally Posted by mia
[...] bonuses are triggered by the categorization of the merchant account used to process the charge. Cunard should code the same as any other Carnival Corporation line, and would almost certainly be travel. [...]
I knew about the merchant category code and didn't phrase my question correctly. I did not know that Carnival owned Cunard. When did that happen? (That's rhetorical. Don't answer; it would just confuse and dismay me.)
Originally Posted by mia
[...] would you buy this directly from the line, or through an agency?
Almost certainly through an agency, in which case, the agency's merchant category code is what I should investigate.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by serpens
....(That's rhetorical. Don't answer; it would just confuse and dismay me.)....
When you are feeling brave, click HERE.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by jerryc436
I booked two hotel rooms through IHG and used points plus cash to pay. I had $420 charged to CSR an was expecting travel credit and 3X points for spend. I did not get either and sent SM to Chase. Response was that IHG rewards club is coded as buying/shopping clubs and not eligible for extra rewards. Can someone explain how booking hotel rooms is not considered travel and what I should do next time to avoid this.
Originally Posted by mikew99
IHG completes points+cash bookings buy purchasing points (charging the purchase to your credit card) and then immediately redeeming these for a room, so Chase sees only the points purchase, not the hotel booking. Does the purchase of points qualify for the extra rewards?
Originally Posted by Rare
Pretty sure this one is known: IHG Points + Cash booking did NOT code as travel, but rather "buying/shopping services, clubs".

This one is also known and in the wiki: Chicago parking meter DID code as travel ("parking lots and garages").

This one was a surprise: Chicago Solder Field / Museum East parking lot did NOT code as travel, but rather "charitable and social service organizations".
Thanks to all 3 above for the data points. I am looking at InterContinental Saigon stay in April and saw they had the pts+cash option, but VERY glad to know this will not count as travel.

In a similar vein, IHG offers a $200 fee for you to buy into their Ambassador elite status program. I assume this charge may not count as "travel" even though it is being sold by IHG?

edit: found my own answer in the wiki here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...credit-32.html

The following items have NOT posted as travel/been reimbursed:
  • IHG Ambassador recognition program
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:46 pm

VRBO or The Vacation Company

I booked a rental deposit (Hilton Head) thru VRBO, the rental agency is billing on the card I used for the deposit as The Vacation Company. Any guesses if this will bill as travel 3 X??? I will use the CSR for the rest of the fee.

I found an old thread from 2016/17 with no definitive answers.

Thanks!!

UPDATE:

I think I found my answer. I went here:

https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator...pplier-locator

and its coded as 6513 which I think does not earn 3X. I got a great price for the rental, so I'm happy. Just would have been nice.

Last edited by stan1162; Mar 7, 2019 at 8:38 am
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I was going through my recent activity on my CSR and it looks like Amtrak dining purchases might not count as travel anymore. Fortunately, they still earn 3x for dining. I updated the wiki accordingly.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:37 am

Mileageplus X app Airbnb gift cards code as 3x travel CSR?

About to purchase Airbnb gift cards via the United Mileageplus X app with my CSR. Does anyone know if it still codes as 3x travel?

4/20/19 Yes it does.

Last edited by rjruiz; Apr 20, 2019 at 11:13 am
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
I am planning on booking a helicopter tour in Kauai this summer for my family. Any idea if it will code as travel on my CSR?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by mangoMan
I am planning on booking a helicopter tour in Kauai this summer for my family. Any idea if it will code as travel on my CSR?
We did such a tour two years ago with Jack Harter on Kauai. I expected that it wouldn't count as travel, so I charged it to my CFU rather than my CSR. From my 2017 year-end summary, I see that it was categorized as Entertainment (as was a Na Pali catamaran tour we did on the same trip).

However, later in 2017 I paid for a friend to have a helicopter tour with Blue Hawaiian on the Big Island. Again, I charged it to my CFU. However, that charge was categorized as Travel on the year-end report.

So I guess it depends on the particular operator.

BTW, we did the tour in one of their Hughes helicopters with the doors off. Highly recommended!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.