Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

What counts as travel? [Sapphire, INK, Consolidated]

Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
The official Chase description:
Merchants in this category include airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, campgrounds and operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, toll bridges and highways, and parking lots and garages.

Some merchants that provide transportation and travel-related services are not included in this category; for example, real estate agents, educational merchants arranging travel, in-flight goods and services, on-board cruise line goods and services, sightseeing activities, excursions, tourist attractions, RV and boat rentals, merchants within hotels and airports, public campgrounds and merchants that rent vehicles for the purpose of hauling. Purchases from gift card merchants or merchants that sell points or miles will not qualify in the travel category.
What counts as Travel?
  • Airline purchases, fees & gift cards
  • AA e-gift certificate
  • Delta eGift Cards
  • UA in-flight bev

Hotels:
  • Marriott GC and hotel charges
  • Airbnb & their GC
  • hotels.com (NOT hotels.com e-gift cert!)
  • Hotel restaurants not charged to room (verified at Renaissance LV)
  • Priceline "opaque" hotel purchases
  • Kruger National Park lodging reservation (booked on sanparks.org official site)

Transit, including parking, trains, ferries, toll roads, etc:
  • Taxi fares: Uber, Lyft, Gett, Way2Ride, London taxi, Fasten (Austin)
  • Transit fees: BART, MTA, FastTrak, Clipper Card (Bay Area), MetroCard, DC Metro (WMATA) SmarTrip farecard and commemorative cards, NJ Transit, Oyster card, Ventra (Chicago), Las Vegas Monorail, Brussels (STIB/MIVB), Incheon Airport Bus tickets, Orca King county(Seattle area), Suica/PASMO (Tokyo IC transit card - Apple pay top up)
  • Parking meters: Atlanta; Chicago; Portland, OR; San Francisco; Atlantic City; Seattle, (Los Angeles but NOT Santa Monica)
  • Public parking garages: San Francisco; Montgomery Co. MD
  • Toll passes: E-Z Pass (MA, MD, NH, NJ, NY, PA), Sunpass prepaid tolls, Washington State GoodToGo tolls, RiverLink tolls, TxTag, IPass (Illinois)
  • Train tickets: trainline (UK train tickets), Eurostar.com, Bahn.com (when using Paypal), Amtrak, italirail.com, Train and bus travel in Scotland at ticket counter.
  • Amtrak dining car purchases (YMMV, recent reports are below):
    • Pacific Surfliner, November 2016 (tmiw): yes, counted as travel with CSR.
      Pacific Surfliner, December 2018 (tmiw): did NOT count as travel (no travel credit), but did count as dining for 3x.
    • San Joaquin, December 2015 (serpens): counted as 3x on CSR, unknown if counted as travel.
    • unknown train/date (StanJazz): counted as dining on Freedom and CSP.
  • Ferries: Cape May, NJ to Lewes, DE and NYWaterway (Belford-Pier 11)
  • Shuttles: Jackson Hole WY Airport official shuttle to town
  • Unlimted JR Pass for Japan purchased from japan-rail-pass.com

Misc:
  • MileagePlusX Uber GC [NB MPX eBay did NOT count, so it appears to be only actual travel related items on MPX]
  • Royal Caribbean drink package
  • Cruise bookings
  • Cruise Excursions Booked Prior to Cruise (and fully refundable)
  • MIR Travel Agency
  • undercovertourist.com
  • Rental cars (verified Avis on page 7 of this thread, Hertz)
  • Car Share (Car2Go) (ReachNow)
  • Lahaina Cruise Co. (Hawaii Ocean Project whale watch cruise)
  • Interval International Exchange Fee + Upgrade Fee
  • Aircraft title transfer registration fees with ICAO's International Registry of Mobile Assets (Cape Town Convention and Aircraft Protocol)
  • Viator/TripAdvisor
  • Recreation.gov fees for reserving federal park campsites do not count as "travel"
  • Point.me award search site starter pass

Also, see THIS thread for additional locations.

Print Wikipost

What counts as travel? [Sapphire, INK, Consolidated]

Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by holocker
Parking fees have been credited to me. One thing that was not credited was travel insurance I bought for an upcoming cruise.
How was the travel insurance listed on your statement? Billed by the cruise line or billed by a 3rd party provider?

Was it bought thru the cruise line at the booking time? Or it was bought independently?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA, SW, VA, Marriott, IHG, HH
Does Viator tour purchase code as travel on CSP?

I've tried the search function, but can't pull up anything.

Does tour packages on Viator website code as travel (2X) for Sapphire Preferred card?

Thank you :')
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
I booked a tour of Panama City and the Miraflores Locks on my CSR that coded as travel. Listed as VIATOR/TRIPADVISOR. That was in August.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA, SW, VA, Marriott, IHG, HH
Originally Posted by roundtree
I booked a tour of Panama City and the Miraflores Locks on my CSR that coded as travel. Listed as VIATOR/TRIPADVISOR. That was in August.
Thank you! Then I think it should code as travel for CSP :P I was just debating between using Freedom Unlimited vs CSP anyway, not a huge difference I suppose.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:10 pm

A very small datapoint but submitted for science.

Marlborough Flyer sightseeing train in New Zealand direct purchase through website coded as 1x only.
treadlightly likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

May be this has been reported, but I have missed it.

The fee to obtain an International Driving Permit (for Italy as required by law) at AAA office is coded 1x only.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta, United
For me, the MileagePlus X Uber GC only was 1x on 3/18/18
Old May 3, 2018, 9:40 am

Pretty sure this one is known: IHG Points + Cash booking did NOT code as travel, but rather "buying/shopping services, clubs".

This one is also known and in the wiki: Chicago parking meter DID code as travel ("parking lots and garages").

This one was a surprise: Chicago Solder Field / Museum East parking lot did NOT code as travel, but rather "charitable and social service organizations".
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Pres
I will be going to Kauai this summer and plan to book excursions directly with the following companies:

Sunshine Helicopters
Captain Andy's Sailing Adventures

Do these kind of vendors typically count as Travel (3x w/ Chase Sapphire Reserve) or are they usually non-category (2x w/ AMEX Blue Business Plus)? I'm waiting to find out before I book so I know which credit card to place these charges on. Thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by EricUSC
I will be going to Kauai this summer and plan to book excursions directly with the following companies:

Sunshine Helicopters
Captain Andy's Sailing Adventures

Do these kind of vendors typically count as Travel (3x w/ Chase Sapphire Reserve) or are they usually non-category (2x w/ AMEX Blue Business Plus)? I'm waiting to find out before I book so I know which credit card to place these charges on. Thanks!
My guess is that they would count as travel. Take a look at all the examples in the wikipost above. That may give you a clearer idea. Did you check to see if they are available using your Chase UR? Nice discounts if they are.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:06 pm

JTB - A travel agency in Honolulu catering to guided tours. Bought 2 Japan Rail passes through JTB and coded as 3x travel!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:29 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Can anyone confirm that cruises paid and booked United Cruises code as travel?

https://cruises.united.com
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Has anyone gotten 3X points for bookings through Viator or GetYourGuide.com?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:17 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
....Viator or GetYourGuide.com?
An answer appears to be HERE.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Thanks, Viator is fairly well-known so who knows how GetYourGuide will be coded.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.