Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming app: CSP or BA Avios

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Upcoming app: CSP or BA Avios

Have mostly domestic travel coming up. Which is best to shoot for? Based out of RDU so most BA redemption would come through AA use. (correct me if I am wrong). Is it time to finally get the Sapphire Preferred or rack up some BA sign up bonus points instead. Don't plan to spend on BA card beyond bonus offer.

Last edited by Jpr0930; Oct 3, 2012 at 4:00 pm
Old Oct 3, 2012, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

The answer might depend on your spending patterns and intended use of the points/miles earned. For example, if the vast majority of your spending will be on travel and/or dining, you would earn more points with the CSP card (2 points/$1 for travel/dining) vs. 1.25 Avios for all spend with the Chase/BA card (except for spending on BA, which earns 2.5 Avios/$1).

And you have many more transfer/spend options with the CSP card, versus the Chase/BA card.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Spending on the BA card won't go beyond meeting the spend and I likely won't keep it beyond first year. I it is purely for miles. CSP I will get no matter what, I just trying to decide if I should get this time around or wait. Are avios easy to redeem on AA domestic? Are they considered a valuable currency to have around?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jpr0930
Spending on the BA card won't go beyond meeting the spend and I likely won't keep it beyond first year. I it is purely for miles. CSP I will get no matter what, I just trying to decide if I should get this time around or wait. Are avios easy to redeem on AA domestic? Are they considered a valuable currency to have around?
Enrolment bonus for CSP at 40K points is for the moment on the low side in my opinion. I would think that there will be a point when Chase would want to push this card again and bump up the bonus to 50K or more. So if you can wait, I think it may be worthwhile since Chase cards can't easily be churned.

I would also wait out for the BA card to offer 100K miles again. So if you really have no other card to try, then CSP may be a better bet since they are unlikely going to bump it to 100K anytime soon. If you don't mind churning, try getting US Airways card over and over again at 40K miles each churn instead.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Jpr0930
You should be able to redeem Avios for any AA MileSAAver award seat; Avios cannot be redeemed for AA AAnytime award seats. Note that BA uses a distance-based system, and charges for each flight flown, unlike AAdvantage, which uses a zone-based system which does not charge extra for connections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.