Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blowing 300,000 UR Points

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Blowing 300,000 UR Points

So, after this cycle closes I will have managed to accumulate 300,000 UR points. I'd like to go on a vacation somewhere cool with my girlfriend. What would be the best way to maximize the value of these points?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Slybone
So, after this cycle closes I will have managed to accumulate 300,000 UR points. I'd like to go on a vacation somewhere cool with my girlfriend. What would be the best way to maximize the value of these points?
International/domestic?
First/Biz/Economy?
How long for trip?
Travelling from?
Party city/secluded beach/mountains?
Status with any airline/hotel?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PresskittJon
International/domestic?
First/Biz/Economy?
I'm open to all, as I know different combinations can be used to maximize worth of points.
How long for trip?
is 7 days reasonable?
Travelling from?
LAX
Party city/secluded beach/mountains?
Party City or Secluded Beach Greece would be cool

Status with any airline/hotel?
I think I'm still gold w/Hilton, additionally I have 200k Hilton points.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:07 pm

Well it could be converted to straight cash of ~$4200 (estimated) then used to go wherever that takes you.

Otherwise, SE Asia is always a good bet. Can fly biz or 1st and head to Thailand for partying/secluded beaches both - otherwise Bali is always a good bet since the Hyatt is very good value for the points.

Both Destinations will require 1 connection (or stopover) from LAX
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Originally Posted by captaincool
Well it could be converted to straight cash of ~$4200 (estimated) then used to go wherever that takes you.
300k points is worth $3000 cash. When using points to pay for travel it's worth 20% more. I would not suggest either one of these.

OP I suggest looking at Hyatts top hotels. 22k points per night for some awesome locations. You can transfer to Hyatt.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Slybone
Maldives
Thailand (Krabi, Koh Samui)
Seychelles
Mauritius / Reunion
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by millere2
300k points is worth $3000 cash. When using points to pay for travel it's worth 20% more. I would not suggest either one of these.

OP I suggest looking at Hyatts top hotels. 22k points per night for some awesome locations. You can transfer to Hyatt.
Surely you can find other ways to cash out the points for ~1.4cpp It's frowned upon, but chase allows transfer to friends/family

You can find much better redemption value than 1.4cpp so you're right, it's not recommended. However, I personally base that valuation on the points to make sure my redemption is "worth it" so to speak
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:43 am

save them

Last year they had a Black Friday promotion that took 25% off their usual overinflated mechandise for points costs...they partnered with best buy who also took big discounts off their stuff, so you got a discount on top of a discount....amazing deals were had. we only had 106k but got a 60" samsung 3D plasma TV, samsung 3D Bluray with wifi, 4 pairs samsung powered 3D glasses, top of line PS3 game console with move package, and 2 games....at least $2000 worth of stuff. I'm curious to see if it will happen again this year.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:38 pm

Look at these and see if any strike your fancy...

http://thepointsguy.com/category/des...n-of-the-week/
Old Sep 22, 2012, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by BigRedBears
Maldives
Thailand (Krabi, Koh Samui)
Seychelles
Mauritius / Reunion
Please don't go to Koh Samui, unless there is a full moon party! The prostitution is too 'in your face'. I don't think your gf will like it!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions everyone! I think this provides a good start for me, now I just need to drill down on a location.

Originally Posted by Greysword
Look at these and see if any strike your fancy...

http://thepointsguy.com/category/des...n-of-the-week/
Thanks for this link, it has a bunch of real good ideas.

Originally Posted by living
Please don't go to Koh Samui, unless there is a full moon party! The prostitution is too 'in your face'. I don't think your gf will like it!
I have had so many friends go for full moon parties...I'm really tempted.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by living
That's the reason I didn't include Phuket
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Do you have a United, British Airways, or Southwest Airlines card with Chase? If so, those 300,000 points will be much more valuable as "miles" when you transfer them at 1:1. (especially if you use them as international travel) You don't need to have the credit card with Chase, but it gives you certain perks on carriers like United.

For example, I looked on United.com and found IAH (Houston) to SYD (Sydney, Aus) in mid-November with 2 economy standard award fares RT for 320,000 miles and $128.80. Of course, Sydney may be a bit far to travel for only 7 days of vacation, but it's just an idea.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
Originally Posted by JaysonW
Do you have a United, British Airways, or Southwest Airlines card with Chase? If so, those 300,000 points will be much more valuable as "miles" when you transfer them at 1:1. (especially if you use them as international travel) You don't need to have the credit card with Chase, but it gives you certain perks on carriers like United.

For example, I looked on United.com and found IAH (Houston) to SYD (Sydney, Aus) in mid-November with 2 economy standard award fares RT for 320,000 miles and $128.80. Of course, Sydney may be a bit far to travel for only 7 days of vacation, but it's just an idea.
I don't see how this is a great value, 160k RT in economy?????
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:55 pm

I would highly recommend using the services of one of the award consultants here on FT so that you don't "blow" 300,000 points. With a few tips and tricks you could squeeze a pretty sweet getaway for you and your girlfriend. Whatever you do, make sure it's in F!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.