Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Please continue discussion in this thread: [2015 onward]How many Chase cards do you/can you have?
Print Wikipost

How many Chase cards do you/can you have?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:40 am

I have 5 as well.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by shanna135
Currently my wife and I each have 5 cards through Chase. Will they continue to give us new cards? What's the limit? Thanks...
There is no hard limit. I have 9 currently open.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by bribro
There is no hard limit. I have 9 currently open.
9 personal, or mixed? I have 7 total between Biz and personal, but I'll be closing my BA card here soon.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
9 personal, or mixed? I have 7 total between Biz and personal, but I'll be closing my BA card here soon.
Actually, I lost count; I'm up to 10 Chase cards now. 6 personal, 4 business.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:54 pm

Actually, I lost count; I'm up to 10 Chase cards now. 6 personal, 4 business.
Wow! Do you have separate businesses for the Biz cards? I canceled my BA card today, so I'm down to 6 now, and I'll cancel one of my IB cards since that 2nd business went nowhere. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:00 am

Wow! Do you have separate businesses for the Biz cards? I canceled my BA card today, so I'm down to 6 now, and I'll cancel one of my IB cards since that 2nd business went nowhere. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
All four of my Chase business cards are for the same business. The order I got them in was Ink Bold MC, Ink Plus MC, SW Business Visa, Ink Plus Visa.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:29 am

All four of my Chase business cards are for the same business. The order I got them in was Ink Bold MC, Ink Plus MC, SW Business Visa, Ink Plus Visa.
And they had no problem giving you more and more cards, that's crazy. High yearly spending on all cards?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:28 am

And they had no problem giving you more and more cards, that's crazy. High yearly spending on all cards?
My last recon call for the Ink Plus Visa was pretty in-depth (a 10 minute deep-dive on the financials), but the CSR was friendly. It may help that I am a J.P. Morgan Private Bank client with significant assets there, but I only had to bring that up once when they initially tried to deny me for my first Ink Plus.

Total yearly spend across all my JPMC cards is >$400k. Not a whole lot of MS since I don't want to put my relationship at risk.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 7:02 pm

My last recon call for the Ink Plus Visa was pretty in-depth (a 10 minute deep-dive on the financials), but the CSR was friendly. It may help that I am a J.P. Morgan Private Bank client with significant assets there, but I only had to bring that up once when they initially tried to deny me for my first Ink Plus.

Total yearly spend across all my JPMC cards is >$400k. Not a whole lot of MS since I don't want to put my relationship at risk.
I think that spend amount is what's greasing the wheels for you. I put 70k-100 of spend on my Biz card, very little MS if any at all and they put me through the ringer for IB #2 for Biz #2. It flopped so hardly any spending on it at all.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:23 am

it is not the number of cards that matters to Chase, except how many you apply for in a short period of time. It is more about the amount of credit they will extend to you....sooner or later you will hit the wall and they will want to reallocate your CL to approve you for new cards....I actually reduced all my older, less used cards to $5000 CL which made sure I had room for new cards
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
I've recently read this strategy (requesting CL decrease) for Citi and used it this week myself successfully.
Are you able to get auto approved now when you had to recon call and reallocation credit before?
I would love one more Ink but have 7 (5 pers+2 Biz) Chase cards in total and 4 of those are at $5k or slightly above so I'm not sure I have any room left @ Chase.

Originally Posted by wise2u
it is not the number of cards that matters to Chase, except how many you apply for in a short period of time. It is more about the amount of credit they will extend to you....sooner or later you will hit the wall and they will want to reallocate your CL to approve you for new cards....I actually reduced all my older, less used cards to $5000 CL which made sure I had room for new cards
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I'm going to try this to get another card with them.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:09 pm

re

Originally Posted by vodkashine
I've recently read this strategy (requesting CL decrease) for Citi and used it this week myself successfully.
Are you able to get auto approved now when you had to recon call and reallocation credit before?
I would love one more Ink but have 7 (5 pers+2 Biz) Chase cards in total and 4 of those are at $5k or slightly above so I'm not sure I have any room left @ Chase.
yes, I too have a few business and personal cards. At one point I had to call and reallocate to get approved so the rep let me know what overall credit liability chase was comfortable with. I then voluntarily cut some cards I didn't plan on using too much to $5000 and the next app was auto approved. I imagine if my income goes up they would re-evaluate me for more, but knowing the $$$ i'm good for, keeps my apps auto approved.
I was also asked about the large number of recent apps one time and I had my list of recently canceled cards in front of me and I told them I like to re-evaluate my cards a couple of times a year and get rid of cards I don't use much, to make room for new cards. I then read a few examples and dates (which the analyst probably had in front of him on the same report showing my new cards) to let them know I am cancelling cards and not just applying for more.
A good excuse is well airline A bought airline B so I don't think I need airline B's card for much longer...or even better "I'm disappointed in CITI or AMEX and am cancelling a bunch of their cards, so I can get more of yours"

You can probably have 12 chase cards if the CL is allocated right and they are applied for over time at a steady rate
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
12 is a nice round number...I think I'll shoot for that!^

Thanks for the reply.

You can probably have 12 chase cards if the CL is allocated right and they are applied for over time at a steady rate
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:38 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
A few days ago, I sent a secure message about doing a product change on one of my accounts, and I got a reply back and they said two things that I thought would be of interest here.

First, they said that you cannot product change until the account is open for more than 12 months.

And two,
When selecting the credit card that best meets your needs,
please remember that our policy no longer allows for
customers to have more than one credit card
I have two and got them both earlier this year, so I assume this is a very new change, if true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.