Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Anyone else having problems using their UA branded Chase credit cards internationally

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else having problems using their UA branded Chase credit cards internationally

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:26 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LHR Wannabee
Chase alleges the problems are always with the merchant and never on Chase's part. It is quite curious that my American Express Platinum card can make the same purchases, with the exact same information except for the change of card number, with no delays for the transaction.
Chase uses VISA or MasterCard's transaction network, while American Express uses its own. To determine if the problem is at Chase, rather than VISA, you would need to try a VISA card from another issuer.

On the web purchase I assume you were required to enter your card account billing address. Some online merchants will reject foreign cards as a matter of policy, and there is variation in how precisely the address must match. For example, if the software is configured for a Post Code in the UK format it may not recognize a five digit numerical Zip Code, even if the merchant believe it is setup to accept foreign cards.

Originally Posted by StingWest
...I generally use a Virgin Atlantic Amex card, which also has no surcharge.
There is a 1% Foreign Transaction Fee.

American Express (1) converts charges made in foreign currencies to U.S. dollars using a rate selected on the business day prior to the day on which the charges are processed by American Express and (2) applies a 1% commission to the converted amount. See the Credit Card Agreement for details.

Last edited by mia; Jul 20, 2012 at 12:32 pm
Old Jul 20, 2012, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
Chase uses VISA or MasterCard's transaction network, while American Express uses its own. To determine if the problem is at Chase, rather than VISA, you would need to try a VISA card from another issuer.
I did not know this. This could be the reason that I am having the problem- different networks with Amex appearing to be more capable of being used for foreign transactions and using a different matrix for fraud detection.
Like the earlier post from the person who wanted to use their card for an upgrade from CDG, but was denied, I always found it odd that an airline branded card could not anticipate charges from the destination of a ticket purchased with the card (it appears that my Amex does).

On the web purchase I assume you were required to enter your card account billing address. Some online merchants will reject foreign cards as a matter of policy, and there is variation in how precisely the address must match. For example, if the software is configured for a Post Code in the UK format it may not recognize a five digit numerical Zip Code, even if the merchant believe it is setup to accept foreign cards.
For the problem transactions online, it was the same billing address and zip code for both cards, but the Amex worked. (What frustrated me was that Chase supervisors could not authorize the transaction and claimed it was a merchant problem.)
Old Jul 20, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I'd suggest you take a look at Citibank. My international experience with Citibank has been better than with any other Visa/MC card issuer in terms of transaction acceptance and card shutdown activity. They seem to be smarter about evaluating transaction risk.
I disagree with this. In my experience (I have Chase, Cap One, BoA, and Citi cards that I use regularly) Citi is the card most likely to declare odd fraud alerts and decline transactions.

An example: For almost four years until last year, I lived in Silver Spring, MD. Virtually every week during this time, I purchased a weekly Metro pass from the vending machines at the Silver Spring station (no monthly passes, grr...) For no apparent reason, my transactions suddenly stopped going through on the Citi card, while other cards worked fine. I called, and Citi said it was because they suspected fraud. This happened repeatedly, despite the fact that I called multiple times to complain, and I noted that I had been making this same transaction every week for years, at a location that was about a five-minute walk from my home. Sigh...

As to the broader issue of cards not working abroad, I used to have this problem with my US-issued MasterCard cards all the time in continental Europe, particularly in Spain and France. I would try the transaction, but it wouldn't go through - but Visa would work fine. When I got home and complained to the bank, they said there was no record of an attempted transaction in their system. It could just be a glitch or breakdown in the communications network.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
We just got back from a Scandinavian cruise that had a 2 day stop in St. Petersburg, Russia. We paid for our tour there in Rubles using our Chase Presidential Plus mastercard and it went through without a problem. I half expected it to be declined and expected a phone call on our answering machine when we returned. We didn't get any message of suspicious activity. Also, I forgot to make a call pre-trip to notify them of our travels either.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
As to the broader issue of cards not working abroad, I used to have this problem with my US-issued MasterCard cards all the time in continental Europe, particularly in Spain and France. I would try the transaction, but it wouldn't go through - but Visa would work fine. When I got home and complained to the bank, they said there was no record of an attempted transaction in their system. It could just be a glitch or breakdown in the communications network.
Many times it is as simple as that.

I have this issue happens quite a lot in Spain and France where some cashiers just are not familiar with the mag cards. (another topic altogether). When they swipe the card too fast, or too slow, the transaction would not go thru, and then after another try, they become frustrated, and either keep swiping it even quicker or even slower... of course it would not go thru.

After enough such experiences I decided to take the matter to my own hand and just motioned to the cashier that I would swipe it myself - then every single time the transaction went right thru! My guess is, when swipe too fast, the machine did not read all the necessary info on the mag strip. When swipe too slow, the reading process got time-out.

Another note about no authorization / attempt of charge on the record is, if the "communication" never is connected, there would not be any record. One time I tried to purchase tickets on Agean's site which insisted me to "verify" my address on record - and I dont have ever an address on record with Agean! After a few very frustrating tries I decided to call FIA (the old Schwab card) and with a supervisor on the phone and I tried to make the purchase again - did not go thru - supervisor said there was not a single attempt from the merchant to make an authorization. I could only conclude that, there wasn't even a connection in the communication between the merchant's website billing system and my bank.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 7:40 pm

I've used my Chase CSP, BA and Freedom cards overseas. I always let them know beforehand which countries I'm traveling to (I include layovers as well) and I've never had a charge declined.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
I never call to inform Chase I'll be abroad and I've never had any issues - not even in Brazil - with my Chase CO OnePass/UA MP Mastercard.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ULMFlyer
I never call to inform Chase I'll be abroad and I've never had any issues - not even in Brazil - with my Chase CO OnePass/UA MP Mastercard.
I also never call to let them know where I will be and the plane tickets purchased on a different card. I have never had an issue using the card internationally in Africa, Europe, Asia or South America.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
I recently was in London for several day and used exclusively my Chase Sapphire Preferred for everything except plane tix. No problems at all.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Chase United Visa, no travel notifications now?

Just got an email from Chase saying that I no longer need to register my international travel with them. Not sure how sensitive their systems will be moving forward. I don't mind registering my trips, and would hate to get cut off when abroad. Anyone else get this? Other companies following suit?

Travel notifications no longer required
Your Account Ending in xxxx

Dear abaheti:

As part of our continuous efforts to improve your experience with your United MileagePlus card, we’ve made an update to your account.

In the past, you may have notified us of your travel plans to ensure uninterrupted service while traveling. Because we value your business and your use of this card, you no longer need to provide us with your travel information.

Our fraud detection systems will continue to protect and monitor your account, and we may still decline charges that appear fraudulent.
Your account satisfaction and security is our priority. Should you need us while traveling, call the number on the back of your card anytime. Thank you for choosing Chase.

Sincerely,

Chase Card Services
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I have never notified Chase (or American Express, or Bank of America , or Citi, or Diners) of travel plans and charges have never been declined.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by mia
I have never notified Chase (or American Express, or Bank of America , or Citi, or Diners) of travel plans and charges have never been declined.
Same here.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:37 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.580 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Originally Posted by mia
Same here.
Years ago I had a Visa not work when hitting multiple countries during a single trip, and once my mother's AMEX worked but they called to make sure it was really her. For whatever reason, the patterns generated a flag. Since then, no problems, but I notify when going abroad aside from Mexico and Canada. I guess the monitoring is sophisticated enough now that I need not bother.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by exerda
I've heard that as well and also gotten merchants who will take a non-chip+pin card but act like it's a real hassle on their part.

The fact is that they're in violation of their merchant agreements with Visa if they refuse a non-chip+pin card. It doesn't matter what their company policy is; Visa says they have to take it.
And what are you going to do if they don't? Complain to visa on the spot and force them? Have a confrontation with the manager?

Actually, I have only once had a problem in the UK with my non chip card (which I no longer use in Great Britain) on this issue where a merchant (it was a T Mobile UK store) told me up front no chip no good....but I would agree the times they are a changing.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
And what are you going to do if they don't? Complain to visa on the spot and force them? Have a confrontation with the manager?

Actually, I have only once had a problem in the UK with my non chip card (which I no longer use in Great Britain) on this issue where a merchant (it was a T Mobile UK store) told me up front no chip no good....but I would agree the times they are a changing.
Once in the UK I just inquired about how they handled disabled customers and magically he figured it out. But I'm with you, if they don't want to take it you'll never win. Same thing with them checking IDs in the USA, which I don't believe is allowed by the card companies but happens at almost every airport magazine shop I'm in. I wish the USA would just join the chip+pin standard and be done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.